Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to help - Cat Rescue

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Megn, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Megn

Megn PetForums Newbie

Hey.

I know of this really amazing cat rescue/TNR place in wicklow, Ireland. Louise (who runs it) is incredible and works tirelessly saving cats from awful situations. I’ve just found out she’s lost charity status which means she’s not even getting a grant from the government to help pay for all the food, vet bills and all the rest of it. I really want to help in some way. Of course I donate quite regularly but I really want to think of a way to generate a decent chunk of cash for her that will enable her to continue her amazing work. She has a go fund me.
    I need ideas on how to help raise money, get her page out there for more donations or anything else people can think of. And I wouldn’t stop there, there are several amazing women that I know of doing the same thing.

Anyway if people have come across similar and seen a successful plan please share!!

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Facebook can be a brilliant promotional tool - share her page and any events she runs on your personal page as well as in any relevant local groups that allow such posts (a local cat lovers group, for example). Don't do it too often though, people will block you if you seem to be spamming, even though it's for a good cause.

Two of our kitties came from a similar local rescue. The owner has an active following on her fb page, and for the past couple of years has run an auction a bit before Christmas, which might be something you could offer to do if you have the time and energy to do so.
    She first appeals for donations of things like new unwanted gift sets, wine, new toys, vouchers from businesses etc - basically the type of things that would make good Christmas presents... This starts months in advance - when we first went to meet our kitties, her sofa was buried in a huge pile of donations! She then announces the date the auction will start and end, and begins to photograph the items. She posts each one to her page, with a starting bid amount on each photo. In the comments, you can bid as you would with a regular auction. Highest bid at the end time gets the item, and she sends out PayPal requests or you can pay cash on collection. (It's all local so no posting needed - sometimes a friend of hers from the next town over will take things so folks can collect from her house instead.)
    I believe she also accepts donations of old clothing and textiles all year round which she weighs in. It's not much, but every little helps, right? She sometimes also appeals for specific things when she is running low, like kitten food, litter, flea stuff etc. Amazon has a useful wish list option which will deliver straight to her without giving strangers her address details.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice