How to help a dog with Separation Anxiety.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sue&harvey, Jul 17, 2010.

1. MaryAnn

MaryAnn PetForums Newbie

Great post....I'm not sure...I've heard that letting a dog that is a velcro dog sleep with you doesn't help with SA. I have tried to make my dog sleep in her bed but I feel so bad, like she thinks she did something wrong. I think it's harder on me than it is on her. She will do it if I make her but she loves to snuggle.

2. Ellieaness

Ellieaness PetForums Newbie

We have a similar issue MaryAnn, our dog can't sleep downstairs as he whines and barks, and we can't keep the door open as the cats try to come in, and they aren't friends yet. We encourage him into his bed in our bedroom when we go to bed, but he always sneak on the bed in the night. he is definitely a velcro dog.

3. Ellieaness

Ellieaness PetForums Newbie

By the way, has anyone tried a Thundershirt for separation anxiety?

4. Lennor Magill

Lennor Magill PetForums Junior

Thank you for your response, Morgan sneeks into our beads during the night. 1st to my son's then back to my bedroom where he sleeps on the floor at the foot of my bed but come morning he jumps into my bed .
    I have been told that greyhounds need the company of other dogs as they suffer from anxiety and separation. They are so loving that you can't help loving them.My dog is a great mischievous character and in spite of the fact of me being unable to leave him alone, I simply cannot be without him.

5. Lennor Magill

Don't worry about your dog getting into your bed, I'm a widow an love my doggy cuddles. Morgan loves lying with his head across my lap. He loves doing that

6. MaryN

MaryN PetForums Newbie

I think that it is very important to give your dog give your dog something to do while you are away

7. Lennor Magill

8. Lennor Magill

My dog must have us within sight nearly always. He goes out in the garden and is fine,or he sometimes goes out of slight to his bed no problem. Most of the time he must be very very near,almost under foot . I sometimes leave him to go shopping for 1/2 an hour and return to find him sitting calmly at the top of the stairs other times he howls. I don't make a fuss when leaving,i just go.
    I practice most of the tips you give sometimes it's successful others not.I am told greyhounds are very difficult to train,but i think he's worth the time patience and effort. I use threats and a clicker for training,he always responds to food. Morgan is a lovely affection dog just stubborn. He's now 8mths old and is slowly getting there.
    THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to post very helpful information.

9. Keith Hammond

Keith Hammond PetForums Newbie

I am new to all this … both a dog owner and this online stuff. But I have read some really helpful posts on this thread. I have a ten month old Cocker Spaniel - Charlie. I got him at nine weeks old and he had already had a tough time. He had first gone to a home where there were two mature Staffies and the owners went out to work each day, leaving Charlie to deal with the two Staffies. So when I got him I made every mistake in the book and now at ten months he follows me like my shadow. Not surprising really. Now however I want him to be free of SA and charging around like the independent character he is raring to be …

First, I am moving about my tiny flat more, knowing he is on my tail. I am not giving any attention that welcomes him when he starts snuggling up whilst I am putting up book shelves and things. Next week I start going out again without making a fuss about going and coming for very short times. He will bark like Caruso but what the hell. Me and this fella have to get this SA sorted … Any help from this forum?

All best KH

10. Julianhoney

Julianhoney PetForums Newbie

11. joelmarks

joelmarks Banned

Separation anxiety in puppies and dogs isn’t always preventable, despite your best efforts. But with patience and a positive attitude, you may be able to reduce your puppy's suffering. It can be a complicated process, so consider working with a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist or a veterinary behaviorist.

12. Marino Tilatti

Marino Tilatti PetForums Newbie

One of the most common phrases used by owners to describe a dog that appears stressed when the owner leaves home—or just leaves the room—is separation anxiety in dogs.

Simulated vs. true dog separation anxiety

There is true separation anxiety, and there is simulated separation anxiety, in which the dog behavior appears to be separation anxiety but it is, in fact, a learned behavior.

Causes of dog separation anxiety

Dog separation anxiety is often unknowingly encouraged by dog owners. We make a big fuss when we leave or come home, and in doing so we reward the dog’s concern with our absence, provoking in him even more stress every time we leave.

The importance of obedience training and discipline

I believe much of the cure for separation anxiety comes from obedience training and discipline. This approach lets your dog know what is expected of him, helping his good behavior to become a habit. He feels wrong showing an unwanted behavior even without you indicating it. Take advantage of that.

Crate training to avoid dog separation anxiety

When you are home, have your dog familiar with being in the crate. Start with short periods and then increase the time he spends in it. Feed him in the crate, let him have his favorite bone to be used as a stress reliever while he is in there.

Change your routine

It is possible for your dog to recognize a series of actions, you have to be clever. Changing your dog’s habits often means changing your own and that can be difficult—we are creatures of habit—but you’ll have to change your routine.

13. Aln

Aln PetForums Newbie

Hi can anybody help me I have just rescued a dachshund from a dachshund rescue he is 6 years old and he has become really attached to me to the point where he will follow me everywhere including toilet he is a nervous dog in general and the trouble we are having is that because he has become so attached to me he barks constantly even when he is left with the hubby and when left alone he is a woman sitting dog and isn't very sure on males so we are working on getting his trust in my husband but can anyone give me advice on how to work with his separation anxiety from me with the constant barking after me plz

14. John Parker

John Parker PetForums Junior

Hi everyone.
    I have read pages and pages of this thread (and pages on other websites) and tried 99.9% of it all.
    We have 4 dogs (Dachshund X's), Mum and Dad and 2 puppies.
    To cut a long story short, "Dad", who is approaching 2 years old, screams and screams and screams through the night. He is not a puppy anymore and we have tried everything.
    Admittedly we have created this monster as when he/they were younger we used to let them sleep in our bed. He now has the entire run of downstairs at night.
    We will not go down until he has stopped screaming, but this is becoming quite hard as he will literally scream for 3 hours straight (it's now nearly 7 and he's been doing it since circa 3am).
    We thought he'd pack this in after a week or 2, but it's been months now.
    What makes it worse is we have a baby on the way (our first) and my partner is getting little to no sleep because of it... I'm obviously also worried as he'll keep the baby up at night too and ultimately I can't let that happen.
    We really need some help. As much as I love him, I fear we can't put up with this lack of sleep much longer.
    Oh and we 110% will not be letting him back upstairs just in case anyone suggests it.

15. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

Might be worth putting this on a new thread so it is easily seen

16. John Parker

John Parker PetForums Junior

Thanks for your advice. Re-posted as suggested and getting some good advice :) .

Darkangelwitch likes this.