Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How to help a dog with Separation Anxiety.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sue&harvey, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Barcello

Barcello PetForums Newbie

Our problem is a little more confusing our 11 month old Finley our tibetan boy is fine when hubby goes out and Finley is left with me he is calm and settlef. But when I go out Finley becomes very distressed barking crying scratching our front door . He is best of pals with my hustand they play with toys and rolling around the floor when the 3 of us are together but when I go out Finley will not entertain going for a walk or playing as he is too anxious he's the same when I get put of the car and leave him with hubby but calm when he's left with me. The problem is getting worse and we don't know how to help him as we don't know why he's doing it.

2. Danielle Barber

Danielle Barber PetForums Newbie

Video of my Beagle, Toby :) Loves a squeaky toy! He used to chew them up and eat them, luckily.. 5 years later, he now loves his toys and prefers to play with them rather than eat them! For other videos of Toby.. search on Youtube "TOBY Funny Beagle"

Beagle's are such lovely dogs, but are very puppy-like for a very long time.. (well, mine is!) Toby has only just started to mature and he is now 5.. However, I wouldn't change him! He has major separation anxieties, so its like having a baby 24/7! Anytime i need to go out, he has to sit in the car and wait for me or i have to get someone round to sit with him.. OR worse case, he spends the day/night in the kennels (which he appears to absolutely love) Strange boy!

3. Rob1878

Rob1878 PetForums Newbie

This is an excellent thread and helping me out with our 4 month old mini dacshund. Thank you all.

4. kestrel

kestrel PetForums Newbie

This is a hugely helpful post, I agree. My issue is I have a ten year old boy, who, with our Husky (..who is as laid back as they come) behaves 99% of the time. Problem is when he doesn't....

We rent accommodation and in our last house, when we had him crate trained, he chewed and bent the bars, got his head through, and chewed our banister, which has cost us £80 and he pulled the letterbox off of the door. Amazingly, they didn't notice that!! After this we decided to see how he was out of his crate, which he did ok with apart from quite a few pees and poos.

We have recently moved and apart from regular poo's when we came home (which was ok, as it is a change of environment) he was doing great. We came back a few nights ago and he had chewed and scratched a door frame quite badly (fortunately nothing a good wood filler won't fix). We had a horrendous day yesterday trying to decide what the best course of action is as we love him a great deal but we cannot leave ourselves in a position where he puts our tenancy at risk! Anyway we have decided he will go to my mother in law for a week or so until we can put a fix in place, and, sadly, this will HAVE to be a crate again. We really have no option.

What I want to know is what kind of crate might there be out there for us to buy that he CANT chew on. Does such a thing exist or will we just have to do our best and stick with him in a crate, regardless. I hate the idea of doing this but I do not see we have ANY other option, apart from him going to the shelter. Before us he had four home in four years and he has now been with us for six years. I worry sheltering him would be the final straw and he would end up being put down, which I don't think he deserves! I just need a plan in place. Pls help.

5. matty1878

matty1878 PetForums Junior

I need help! I've posted somewere else today lol I've moved home been here a month and when I try leave my flat zack starts to bark and howl till I'm back. I've only been doing this for 5/ten mins a day to try get him used to it. Do I need to keep at it? I've got an adaptil collar on and a diffuser in. We sleep eat live together 24/7

6. lux.lisbon

lux.lisbon PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to forums in general and a new puppy owner so I really, really need help from you, guys.
    Last Friday I brought home a puppy, around one month old, someone threw him and his 6 other brothers and sisters out. A friend of mine found him and long story short, I have a puppy and I never had one before. I have another dog, but we adopted him when he was already an adult.
    This new puppy is a mix between labrador and golden retriever and I believe he's got separation anxiety, from what I found out on internet. First night he slept with me in my bed, but that's not what I want to train him to do, so my dad made him some kind of a crate, quite spacious, he has all his toys in there, food, water, bed, everything. But he hates to be on his own, even for a minute. He whines A LOT, until he falls asleep, and I'm kind of taking this too hard
    I keep thinking he's in pain or in need or in great stress. We don't leave him alone a lot, couple of hours during the day, and there's always someone home to take him out, feed him or play with him. My dad's method is just to ignore his whining, so I'm just wondering if we're doing this wrong? Is it okay to ignore a puppy while he cries? I know it's been only a couple of days, and it seems to me like he whines less than yesterday, but still... It's not really possible for us to keep him occupied all the time. Any experiences with such small puppies? He doesn't cry during the night.

P. S. Sorry if there are some grammar mistakes, English is not my native language. :)
    P. P. S. His name is Tesla.

Attached Files:

7. Jomo80

Jomo80 PetForums Newbie

8. Jomo80

Jomo80 PetForums Newbie

Hi, if he's only 1 month old that's much too young to be away from Mum in ordinary circumstances so may be worth chatting to a vet. In the mean time you can buy soft puppy toys that can be heated to mimic their litter mates (think I've seen them at Pets at home??) That may be some help

9. Jomo80

Jomo80 PetForums Newbie

Very useful thread! I rescued a lurcher a few years ago with massive separation anxiety problems, he would chew the carpets, destroy furniture and soil everywhere. On one occasion we were out for a couple hours and left a small window above the kitchen sink open a small way. When we returned home our neighbour told us he had him as he had ended up injuring his leg and face falling on to the concrete out side the kitchen window. Turned out he had pulled himself on to the sink and managed to get out of the window. I still can't get my head around that as he's huge and the window could only just fit a cat through.
    We worked really hard with a vet to help him. The thing I found made the biggest difference was tough love. We stopped allowing him on the bed and furniture and when he came over nudging our arm for attention (which he did continually) we gave him a pat on the head, said "Good boy, on your bed" but nothing more. It took ages and he still has a relapse every so often - ie I may come home to find he's destroyed my slippers, but he is so much better and come so far.

10. BaileyBeagle1986

BaileyBeagle1986 PetForums Newbie

Really hoping this helps my Bailey. Had him since Feb, he is a 3 year old rescue who is very overweight, his previous owner just didnt have the time for him. As a result he has formed an incredibly strong bond with the first person to show him attention...ME! He will come and wake me up, follows me round 90% of the time until my son (7) finds a rope or ball to play with, but he will check I am where he left me. even when I leave for work (two hours a day, and my partner works from home so hes not actually alone) he cries for me. We tried a crate, he wouldn't go anywhere near it (until I was collapsing it down, then of course it was great fun!), Stair gates are apparently evil and must be barked at, we couldn't even shut the gate and just walk into the next room so have decided its not worth the extra stress. what we have done (when hes completely alone) instead is shut all doors except for the family room. It has helped already, but he still struggles, also learnt the hard way that he can actually open doors...and then cupboards. Yes, my lil fatty got into the kitchen, and into the child locked cupboards to eat the entire contense!!

We have got him some toys that he only gets when we are going out, such as his kong, cow horn and huge knot ball, does anyone know if its a good idea to continue with keeping those as special toys or is that making matter worse?

11. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

I have the same thing with Shona, she follows me everywhere, toilet, shower etc. Luckily she has two other dogs to keep her company when we do have to go out and the Patterdale Karnie play fights teasing her until she plays with him.

I think it's a good idea to keep special toys for when you have to leave him - if he had them all the time he would get bored with them.

Give him time, it took Shona nearly a year to cuddle with my OH and you have only had him a couple of months. Patience, kindness, love and discipline are key to rehabilitation.

I am sure there will be some people on here who can give some ideas to help.

Good luck with him, he looks lovely

12. 2Retrievers

2Retrievers PetForums Newbie

Hi. I have a 13 year old retriever who is great when at home, no accidents etc even when we go out for a few hours. When we went away recently we left her with a dog sitter and she urinated in the dog sittershouse - which she doesn't do at home. She even did this after being outside for hours. Can anyone help explain this please? and how we might be able to solve the problem? Thanks very much for any advice.

13. hemodv

hemodv PetForums Newbie

thank you so helpful

14. Hattiesan

Hattiesan PetForums Member

Helpful, thank you

#334 Hattiesan, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  15. Hattiesan

Hattiesan PetForums Member

Helpful, thank you

16. Amanda22

Amanda22 PetForums Newbie

Please could you explain, got a 16 week old beagle a couple of weeks ago, Bailey he's absolutely adorable but whines and howls when left alone. Going to try these suggestions but do I try them initially with him free to roam or in his crate with the door closed.

17. LoopyL

LoopyL PetForums VIP

18. Petra McCandless

Petra McCandless PetForums Newbie

I always tell my pulpy owner to use massage and use lavender oil specifically made for dogs. This will help the dog to relax by the lavender and feel safe by having the owner close by. This is also the best way to create bonds between the owner and the puppy or dog. Please just make sure you do not use the lavender oil we people use, it is to strong for the dogs.

19. Aromaticmist

Aromaticmist PetForums Newbie

Did you ever get sorted, I'm going through something now very similar?

20. Lennor Magill

Lennor Magill PetForums Junior

I have a greyhound puppy who is almost 6months old who i believe is suffering from SA.
    He follows my son and i everywhere. We have a baby gate to know Jim out of the kitchen and he will stand there and watch me,or sit outside the bathroom door waiting. He cannot decide at times who he misses most,my son or I. He cried for and hour for the first-time a few days ago when my son left for work ,he was right next to me. We've had him now for four months. He was one of a little of 11 and was brought to us when he was 8weeks old
    Yesterday i left him in the living room and went next door,I couldn't heard him on return and looked through the window to see him calmly lying on the sofa.( He's not allowed there) It's the only time he hasn't jumped all over me on my return. It seems it's one of the ways forward,but i don't want Morgan sitting on the sofas or armchairs.
    I am almost at my wits end with his SA. I love him dearly and maybe we are to blame as we lost another greyhound puppy who was deliberately run over by a hit and run driver. We tended to be overly protective when we 1st got him.
    We've now got very over anxious pup. Any suggestions you can offer?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice