Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get Tilly interested in her bed?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by K1nS, Apr 16, 2011.

1. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Has anyone got any suggestions? I was going to put some catnip on there for her but my OH said it would be a bad idea coz she may think its somewhere for playing, not for chilling out on :blink:

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

over the years i have brought so many beds for my cats, only to find them squashed into the fruit bowl, or in the ironing pile,:rolleyes:,:rolleyes:, they sleep in some of the most stupid places,,,,,:),;)

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

no point really, she will sleep where she wants! Mainly your bed or sofa! :p

could put some treats in it? a blanket?

4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Ahhh the fabled cat bed. Mine have many:

The bathroom sink
    My pillow
    My back
    Any random spot on the carpet
    Any random spot on the laminated
    On top of my bunnies cage
    An empty litterbug in s reusable carrier bag
    Hessian bags
    Any clothing I haven't put away

They do have a 'bed' which they never use. I'm not going to buy another when the bathroom sink is soooo comfy!

5. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

Yeah, like the others have said, it's futile really. Minoush sleeps anywhere. His new spot is on top of the linens in the closet. :lol:

6. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

I bought a cat bed for my two didnt like it so i tryed one that was covered on top and now they both sleep in there i left a few treats in there for them and now they love it. xx

7. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

I tried the cat nip in the bed ....... waste of time that was :lol:

Molly has a big round fluffy basket and a fluffy flat bed, does she use them, does she hell :lol: She would rather sleep on a newspaper or come to that ANYTHING rather than where she should :)

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Ours is full of his toys, the only time he goes near it is when he is getting his toys out, he loves our bed, my oh back and his pillow - when his head is on it and he loves two of our windowsils

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

It all depends on what kind of bed it is as to whether they will use it ;) Plus sometimes it takes a little while for them to realise it's the most comfortable place to be. Even then they will still use other places, but if you get the bed right they will use it a fair amount.

*whistles* :lol:

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

What cats like change from minute to minute as well :)
    Bought Sooty a lovely bed which he loved. He has however since gone off it in favour of;
    My back
    My pillow
    Next to me with head on my pillow
    My clothes
    On the table
    Under the bed
    A cubbyhole in his climber
    In front of the wardrobe on the floor
    Primark psper bags
    Any odd box that we might have lying around from some delivery
    On blanket in wardrobe
    The very top level of his climber...

... And here he comes now for a snug with his head on my pillow :D

11. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

When I first brought my kitten home last year he wasn't at all interested in his RSPCA cat bed/cave/igloo thing even though to us humans, it's the softest thing ever. Putting him in it results in him walking straight out again. But as the months got a bit colder over winter, he realised that his bed is actually the warmest place in the living room since it's right by the radiator and it's an enclosed space for him to watch people walking by doing their thing!

This went on over the whole winter, so he's well used to his bed now and sleeps in it every night without fail. Nowadays he puts himself to bed at 11pm-midnight without any coaxing from us. :D During the daytime though... he sleeps on our bed. Or the box with a towel in it. Or the bathtub. Or the bath mat. Or the welcome rug. Or the cat tree. Or the armchair in the conservatory. Or the kitchen floor. Or the landing. Or on the stairs.

Yeah. :laugh: Depends on the cat, the type of bed and the weather.

12. slash

slash PetForums Member

When we first brought Slash home we kept him in the kitchen/conservatory but he was desperate for somewhere to hide. We had bought a donught bed but he wasn't using it, so that first day we put the bed in a big box on it's side and he shot in there. We've never taken the box away so his bed is still in the conservatory and I think he likes it because he is protected on 3 sides (although he still sleeps facing the back of the box) and it's nice and quiet in there.
    He also sleeps on the foot of the bed (when OH isn't in), at the top of the stairs, under the spare bed, across the doorway to the spare room, the living room window ledge, where ever he collapses.

13. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

Ours sleeps in the bidet...

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

To second, third, forth & fifth every other reply - Tilly will let YOU know where her 'bed' is... For this week anyway. No promises it will be the same next week....... :mad:

I have gone through so many 'beds' for my boys it is ridiculous. I saw a really yummy igloo / cave bed last October that I wanted to get for them but I refused to pay £50 (£25 x 2) for something they would potentially ignore. So I got a couple of boxes, turned them on their sides & tarted them up with throws & pillows to make them really cozy. They were the in-thing for the winter period. Couldn't get the cats out of them!! Now......? They haven't gone near them for almost 2 months!!!! :cursing:

We love our cats for their unpredictability. It also drives us mad!!!!! :D :D

15. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

Make sure it is in a warm place that suits the cats personality. For example Leo likes his bed to be around people, whereas Gumbo likes hers out of the way.

Also put in something that either smells of your cat or of yourself, like an item of clothing you've worn but not washed and show your cat where it is.

Of course they sleep where they want to as others have said but you can try a couple of things to show it's a nice place to sleep!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice