Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get rid of fruit flies?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hazyreality, Apr 9, 2011.

1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

What can I do to get rid of the buggers! We have hundreds in the house! They are all in the kitchen, lounge, consevatory and even upstairs!!!

Have put some fly papers out but they can walk along them and not get stuck! They really are useless!
    Also put some jam in the bottom of a jar and put water on top, its attracting them but very few are actually going in!

Anyone got a magic way?

*Heidi*

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

So have we! We can't leave any drinks uncovered as you end up with loads of the little b*ggers floating on top! I was going to get some flypaper tomorrow as I don't want to use any sprays.

We tried just putting a bit of jam on a dish & hope they woudl be attracted to that - some were but there are still loads everywhere. The cats are going mad chasing them

3. hazyreality

Our cat just ignores them, no fuss about them at all! lol
    We have checked the whole house for anything they might have come in for but nothing! They are all over the windows, mirrors, glass cabinet doors etc etc etc.....
    They're not like normal flies that you can swat!

*Heidi*

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yep, ours are upstairs aswell, they really are everywhere. I opened a cupboard earlier & loads flew out, all that was in there was crisps so it can't be those.

I can't find anyhting that may be attarcting them but they are really irritating me now

5. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Wish I'd got 'em...my birds would love 'em.

6. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I have one way, which works quite well.

Get a small, clean jar and pour in some vinegar, usually just enough to cover the bottom. Fruit flies LOVE vinegar, and I usually add sugar to it just to make it a little more tempting :D

Make a cone out of a piece of paper. The narrow end (you only need a gap of 1/2cm or 1cm for the end of the funnel) should reach down quite close to the vinegar/sugar mixture so more flies get trapped when they jump down to feed. The flies will often congregate around the inside of the funnel, but once they are in the jar, they cannot get back out again. You can even use tape to secure the funnel in place.

I have heard of instead of a funnel, you can use cling film over the top of the jar and poke little holes in it with a pen/pencil, but I haven't tried this method.

You may have to make one for each room, but I have found this "trap" method very successful. It can take a bit of time to catch them all, though (usually a week or two).

7. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I use a Rentokil Fly Killer cassette I buy two, one for kitchen and one for the front room and all the pesky flies end up dead on the windowsills.

If you have an indoor compost bin for veg scraps it is virtually impossible to get rid of fruit flies :(

I'm considering One of these

8. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Get some of these...:D

[​IMG]

9. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

i had 4 of them the other day when i had the door and windows open! ive fingers crossed that doesnt mean theres lots around here too and it was just the start!

10. Roselight

Roselight PetForums Newbie

I got rid of the fruit flies by just getting rid of the bin in the kithen and not keeping any left over food around. It just went straight out to the birds which they enjoy and also anything that has to be binned is put straight out in the wheelie bin. I found that it was the bin in the kitchin that was attracting them even with the lid on they seem to even get in there. They get everwhere and freak me out

11. hazyreality

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Will definately try the vinegar and funnel one :) Alot of them have gone now, got alot with out jam/water traps.

Not sure the spiders are a good idea, we are not so keen on them in this house!

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice