Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get rid of fleas without putting my cat at risk!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by May1987, Jun 6, 2019.

1. May1987

May1987 PetForums Newbie

So warm weather has brought fleas to our house for the first time ☹️ I’ve been bitten several times and our cat is scratching a lot in the lead up to her next routine flea treatment (which does usually seem to work!) once we treat her, we’ll need to treat the WHOLE house and I’m finding it really hard to find a home spray we can use for them, that is safe to use around her? She’s a house cat and so we can’t let her out while we do it, and I know we could always take her elsewhere, but if there’s a safe-for-cats option out there, I’d love to hear of it! Thank you!

2. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

You could treat the house either a room at a time or do all of upstairs and then all of downstairs.

Flea killer is potent stuff and it's not recommended any human or animal stays in the room once it's been sprayed. Any flea killer that's safe to use around people/animals won't be any good.

Get some RIP Fleas or Indorex. Maybe change your flea spot on too.

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @May1987 and welcome :)

If you are using a flea treatment regularly as a preventative your cat shouldn't get fleas as long as it is an effective treatment. Advantage spot-on is one of the best you can get without a prescription.

I've just switched one of my cats to Bravecto spot-on as he was getting a skin reaction to the Advantage. The good thing about Bravecto spot on is that it only needs to be applied every 3 months. Available from the vet.

4. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

Oh! It does sound like a job for Indorex. It is NOT for use on animals but on houses. It has a small amount of an instant insecticide (necessary to kill adults) &, most importantly, a natural hormone that will prevent fleas developing into adults. And that is probably your problem - adults hatching from larvae in carpets, cupboards, under beds etc. I treated a friend's house with Indorex after I found dead fleas on windowsills when I knew his cats were getting regular flea treatments. It solved the problem. It is very low odour & that odour is not persistent. You do need to use it (in accordance with the instructions) everywhere that fleas may be hiding as adults or young - or just as shed eggs your cat can pick up. Think, for instance, of wardrobe bottoms, under furniture ....

5. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

When I treat the house, I use something like Acclaim that kills fleas as they hatch for up to 12 months. I spray one room at a time keeping the door and windows closed for half an hour. The cats are far away from that room. After 30 minutes, I open windows to air the room, then move onto the next room. By the time you get to the last room, the first room should be safe for your cats. Of course, you should treat your cats too with a good flea killer like Advantage or Stronghold.

chillminx likes this.
  6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Suggest you also read the RIP Fleas website which has very good clear information which applies equally to Indorex & Acclaim.

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice