Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to get pup use to collar and lead?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by busterandlulu, Jun 23, 2010.

1. busterandlulu

busterandlulu PetForums Junior

My pup really hates having his collar on, Ive been putting it on him for 2 days now for a few hours and then taking it back off. He constantly scratches at it. How can I get him used to it?

When I put his lead on him too, he just sits there, how do I make him understand he has to walk. He cant go out yet as he only just had his first injection but Id like to practice it with him round the house.

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Hiya,i would keep putting his collar on and his lead but dont try walking him just yet.Once you have the collar and lead on just play with him and make it a fun time.It will take his mind off of the collar and lead.You will need to do this a few times a day,but once he finds its a fun thing he should let you hold the lead and try walking with him.If he sits down (as they do) lol again play with him.It wont take long for him to get use to it.:D
    I hope this makes sense.:D

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Well, with the collar, just perservere (sp). Pop it on for 5 mins 4 times a day. With the lead, once he's a little more used to his collar, so not scratching at it, as much, attach the lead. Don't hold it, just let him figure out what it is. After a couple days of that, then pick up the lead, and walk him around the house and garden :)

We never had this problem with Holly, not with the lead, however she still doesn't like her collar!

You could always get him a harness, as they seem to prefer these. And then after a few days swap to collar, and back again etc. See if he'll walk on a harness.

What breed is he?

4. busterandlulu

Hes a yorkie, but ill definately try a harness as well. Ive only had him a few days as well so dont want to stress him out too much.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As the law requires that a dog wears a collar when out in public places, he will have to get used to it, harness or not. With my pup, I just put the collar on her at 7 to 8 weeks (a small light one like a cat collar), told her she looked gorgeous in it, gave her treats and kept an eye on her. She scratched it a few times, then was fine. By time she was ready to walk outside, she had been wearing her proper small dog collar for a while, and has never bothered about it since.
    With a lead, I also started with a thin light one, and used it from the start to take her outside for a pee (my garden isn't accessible directly from the house, I have to cross a few yards of yard to get into it). As she was quite happy to follow me when called, it was no great trauma. I think just being calm and matter-of-fact about it, not giving in to tantrums is the way to go. And start as soon as you get the puppy.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yorkies have very fragile bones in the throat, and should always be walked on a harness so the neck doesn't get yanked and damage the bones. He will still have to wear a collar and tag.

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Mine has a tag on her collar and harness, so if we're travelling, she will only wear her harness... They don't have to have a collar, if they have tags attached, as far as I'm aware.

With our next pup, we're buying a couple whelping collars off of Tanya, and giving one to the breeder at 4 weeks so she gets used to it there.

8. busterandlulu

Hi went out yesterday and bought a harness for him and he loves it!!! Hes walking well around the garden with a lead on so thank you all for your help.

9. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

yahay...problem solved!!!

NEXT!!!!!!
    haha
    well done!
    :)

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Awesome well done :) You can still try to introduce his collar to him, as he won't be led around by it, it'll just be a thing around his neck.

Once he's used to that, you can put his tags on either collar or harness, that way if you let him out into a back yard of whatever off lead, he'll have id on collar, so you wouldn't have to worry about popping his harness on :D

11. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Great to hear, Penny is exactly the same, she'll wear a collar but for id only, she has never walked with one, I bought a harness after trying with the collar several times and she was great,both the pooches use one now and it is so much easier to walk them. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice