Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get Nutracalm into Stressed Kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Undomiel, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Undomiel

Undomiel PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    So my Butters has been having stress related bladder problems for a few months now and the vet recommended Nutracalm for us. The problem is we are having great difficulty getting it in to her. She won't take it in her food, she knows it's there. She doesn't like the usual treats like fish and meat so we can't hide it in something like that. We've tried mixing it in a liquid and syringing it in to her but she throws it back up. Any suggestions? We're trying to avoid stressing her out more

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You could try Rescue Remedy for pets instead. Has a very very slight sweet taste. Another benefit of Rescue Remedy is it can be applied topically instead. Rub it into the ear flap or along the side of the mouth for instance.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Undomiel and welcome :)

My cat refused to eat his food with Nutracalm it in. I got it down him hidden in Easypill Cat Putty (buy it from Amazon) but in periods of stress he responds much better to Zylkene, which is easy to hide in food and has no side effects that I know of. Your cat may be better with that.

Zylkene is less expensive as it can be bought online whereas Nutracalm can only be bought from a vet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetoquinol-Zylkene-Capsules-Small-20-Count/dp/B00K06MAK2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WLZDHNV3KRR8&keywords=zylkene+for+cats+100+capsules&qid=1583759283&sprefix=zylkene+for+cats+,aps,145&sr=8-5

Give the contents of one capsule a day, mix the powder with food. It is gentle and non addictive. Takes up to a week to see an effect. Can be given long term if needed. My boy is always better with a month's course and then stop.

Is Butters already having bladder support supplements such as Cystaid Plus or Cystophan?

Cystophan contains the same calming ingredient (L-tryptophan) as Nutracalm. Cystophan has other ingredients helpful for bladder support.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protexin-C...ophan+for+dogs+and+cats&qid=1583759607&sr=8-7

Cystaid Plus contains L-theanine as the calming ingredient + other ingredients for bladder support.

If you are already giving him Cystophan you should not really be giving Nutracalm as well. But if needed you can give Cystophan as well as Zylkene, because Zylkene uses a different ingredient for calming.

#3 chillminx, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    lorilu and Undomiel like this.
  4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My cat used to get Stress Cystitis and I used Cystaid/Cystaid+ both were happily eaten in her meal, and she is a very suspicious cat, I can't comment on the Nutracalm as I haven't tried to use it but the Cystaid + was very effective for her, plus finding out her stresses and trying to make her environment more relaxing for her, in her case that meant unplugging the doorbell, not wearing shoes in the house and giving her safe spaces to hide during daylight hours as she doesn't like daytime or visitors, she spends all day under a blanket on the bed, se venture out around 5pm and becomes the friendliest neediest cat ever, but during the day she needs her space.

lorilu and Undomiel like this.
  5. Undomiel

Undomiel PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look around and there are so many alternatives to try that I had no idea about. The Rescue Remedy could definitely be a much less stressful solution!

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice