Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get my dog to eat

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MaisieD, Jan 9, 2021.

1. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

My dog has been a little bit unwell recently, I posted a couple of days ago. She is doing a lot better and the vet did give her mirtazapine to try and increase her appetite. She’s also on gabapentin for any pain she might be in.

Today she is really lively and back to her normal self. She still won’t eat her regular dog food though. We give them raw dog food but we’ve been cooking it recently just slightly and she loved it. She now won’t even eat that, we’ve tried tins, dry and scrambled egg. The only thing she seems to want to eat is cheese so we’ve been putting that on top of scrambled egg. Which she eats a little of the egg but mainly the cheese.

What else can I try her with if she won’t eat her regular meat based food?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried mixing grated cheese in with wet?

How about completely cooked meals? Some turkey mince or similar.

Happy Paws2 and MaisieD like this.
  3. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

She seems off meat. We’ve tried cheese in with her regular food. She was on raw but went off it so we started frying it for a few minutes and she ate it ok again but now won’t. I’m a bit worried if she won’t eat meat what we can give her.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Has the vet given any indication as to why she wont eat?

Has she had a full blood panel recently? I cant remember off the top of my head from your previous thread.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wonder if she is having some nausea. The appetite stimulant won't work if she's nauseous. I would ask the vet for some cerenia. Give her the cerenia, then the mirtz, before attempting to feed.

Put some chicken thighs in a pan with some water. Let it simmer until the meat falls off the bone. Take the meat out and let the bones simmer a few hours longer to make a nice bone broth. Feed the meat and broth together and separate, the broth can be frozen in serving sizes for later use.

Lurcherlad and MaisieD like this.
  6. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

She suggested it was pain, but even though she seems much livelier in herself she still has no desire to eat. She’s coming out of her bed now when we pop the food down, has a sniff, then sits down again.

No they didn’t do bloods. we’ve a week of painkillers and have to bring her back after that if no better. They said they gave her Mirtazapine to help her eat but it didn’t really do much. She’s so much more lively now, tail wagging, jumping up at us excited but just doesn’t want to eat.

7. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Great advice, I’ll try that thank you.

They only gave her one Mirrazapine, didn’t give us any to take home. We just have gabapentin. She’s going back in a week if no better.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've just read your other thread about the lumps. I really think Holly needs to see a different vet.

MaisieD likes this.
  9. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

I agree. She gave us no help at all. Didn’t tell us anything we didn’t know. If anything she made us feel worse.

When we take her again next week we will go to the other surgery they run (that one we usually use but had no appointments that day) as the vet there has seen holly before and knows the situation.

lorilu likes this.
  10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would take her back monday if she is still not eating, or even just being picky.

Id also request a blood test. Might be something else going on. Both liver and kidney conditions can cause poor appetite. She might just have a bug or an infection, but i do feel that your vet isnt taking your or her seriously.

lorilu and MaisieD like this.
  11. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

I agree. We paid £50 to be told nothing. It was ridiculous. My husband said can’t you tell us anything. No she said. So it was a waste of time other than getting painkillers. They also won’t tell us how much an X-ray will be over the phone unless we book in again so we have to pay for a consultation just to find out the cost of an X-ray of her chest. Agin, ridiculous.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

eh! that cant be right. If it is then change vets completely, not just to their other branch. That is stupid.

MaisieD likes this.
  13. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

I know, we haven’t seen this vet before, they’re usually good. She just said she’s had Mirrazapine to help her eat, gabapentin for any pain and come back in a week and we can discuss an X-ray. We’re so confused what’s wrong. And more worried.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Whenever mine lose their appetite ( very, very rare! ) they usually fnd poached white fish wth mashed potato irresistable, you could make a cheese sauce and mash it in. Sardines is another dead cert in this house too, if canned in spring water pour that over too. But only tiny amounts of food at a time , just a couple of mouthfuls to start with.

Lurcherlad and MaisieD like this.
  15. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Thank you I’ll also try that tomorrow.

I picked up Pedigree pouches in gravy tonight and she wolfed it down. Wow. Rubbish nasty food but if she will eat that’s all that matters. Maybe in time I can mix a pouch with her regular food and she will wean back on but for now I hope she continues to eat these. I’m going to do the chicken and bone broth as suggested tomorrow to try and get some goodness in her. She was so happy and lively tonight, even ate a few treats. Much more herself which has been good to see. She’s going back to the vet for a second opinion next week definitely as I’m not happy with the outcome with the vet this week.

JoanneF and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

I did the same for Rusty the slightly taller one in the photo when he wouldn’t eat.He was a poor eater at the best of times and was always fed on Natures menu, but I gave in and bought pedigree chum pouches which he did eat but not for long sadly as I lost him shortly after due to a growth near his liver. I didn’t like using the pedigree pouches as I know that they are very poor quality but I felt at least he was eating something so don’t feel bad you are doing your best for your dog.

MaisieD likes this.
  17. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Thank you.

Exactly, if she’s eating I’m happy. My dogs usually eat Natural Instinct.

I took this, this morning. Lola got a new bed (Hollys is arriving tomorrow) but Holly wanted to get in with her. They are now cuddled up asleep. Holly is the Border Terrier

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice