Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get my cat used to a new puppy!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by owenx, Jul 2, 2009.

1. owenx

owenx PetForums Newbie

Okay, so we might get a puppy, un-born yet. We have a cat who is about 10-15 years old -female. We would want to get her used to a dog, puppy, but it would be smaller than her, so what can we do to get her used to a new puppy or is it a bad idea?

thanks

sorry for crappy post, keyboard is really bad lmao

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

My friend has just introduced a puppy to her 2 cats, although they are alot younger than yours. They introduced them in the garden. Sat the puppy out there and took the cat out, so they were sort of on neutral territory.

They were very strict with the puppy too, so that she learnt very quickly that the cats and their things are strictly off limits. I think if you give your cat plenty of reassurance and make sure that her life as she knows it at the moment doesn't change, and make sure that the puppy is not the boisterous kind that is going to take a lot of training to get it to leave the cat alone, then you should be fine. The puppy has to learn that he/she is below the cat in the pecking order of the house.

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

LOL, our dog is terrified everytime new kittens appear and start hissing and walking sideways towards her :D

She's a Staffie and is so good, I sometimes feel sorry for her :)

4. Slortonhobbs

Slortonhobbs PetForums Newbie

Hi

Puppies will be boisterous and playful and a 15 yr old matronly cat will probably be rather tentative around the puppy. Its important to make the cat feel secure, they hate change. I would firstly have a dog cage nice and large to house the puppy and let your cat have freedom of the room or garden and introduce them slowly. I would suggest swapping them about, i,e, one day have the cat outside wandering anhd the dog in the cage for about half and hour or so and vice versa.

In this heat you need to have the dog and cat in the shade if possible....give the cat a litter tray and water too.

In the evenings I would separate them at bedtime to avoid stressing the cat till she is used to him and viceversa. It would help the dog if he /she was reared with cats but that may not be likely.

Take it slowly....feed them separately at first you dont want him/her eating your cats food. Watch for changes of behaviour in your cat, any alteration of behaviour may denote stress.

regards
    Sue Lorton-Hobbs
    GCCF Judge
    Loraston British Shorthair Cats & Kittens. UK. Hobbyist breeder of British Shorthairs in Hampshire.
    www.lorastonpetproducts.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice