Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get more confident with a bucking horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by 3dd13&P3rdy, Apr 28, 2019.

1. 3dd13&P3rdy

3dd13&P3rdy PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My name is Lula and I am 16. I don't have my own horse, but there are two people who don't ride their ponies much so let me come and ride them whenever I want.
    One of these ponies I have only just started riding, and I rode her for the first time a few days ago. Her name is Perdy and she is 6/7 years old. Her owner told me that she is completely bombproof and her only downside is that she can be lazy. They don't have an arena so I rode Perdy out and she felt so good, though you could tell she is young. Then we went to have a canter up a hill and I was expecting her to be lazy, as the owner said I might not even get a canter out of her, but she was a lot faster than I expected.
    Now I would consider myself to be a fairly strong rider in technique, but my confidence is lacking. I really love riding, but I feel very happy on quite slow, safe ponies.
    After this canter I was feeling quite out of my comfort zone with Perdy as she now seemed quite on edge and jumpy (probably she was picking up on my uncertainty), but I decided to have another canter as I want to improve my confidence and do things out of my comfort zone to try to help my riding. We went to canter again but a few strides in she started bucking. I immediately took her into walk as I felt pretty shaky (I know I'm a wimp!) and after that I just walked her home.

I know this is not an issue with Perdy - She is young and green and was just getting excited/ not wanting to work. This is an issue with me and my confidence. I really want to ride Perdy again as I completely fell in love with her, but I know next time I go to canter her I will be scared of her bucking. If I'm feeling scared then that will reflect on her as she is young and doesn't have lots of confidence herself.

So basically, if anyone has any tips for how I can get over this confidence issue and stop being so scared of bucks then that would be very much appreciated.

P.S. Sorry this is so long winded!!

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Find out if she behaves like this with a different rider.

Check with Vet that there is no physical cause or pain associated with this behaviour.

Check saddle for correct fit.

If she isn’t ridden regularly, and there are no other reasons found, then it might just be high spirits and excess energy.

Sorry for brief answer, I’m sure somebody else will be along soon.

kittih and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. 3dd13&P3rdy

Thank you - that is a good point, her owner did mention that the saddle is a bit wide on her. I know that there is another girl who sometimes goes to ride her so I'll try to find out if she's experienced her bucking.
    Thank you for the advice!

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Aside from the checks as above maybe avoid cantering out on hacks for the time being and concentrate on getting her going nicely at a trot, balanced and collected without getting in a fizz so you get to know her well and improve your confidence.

When you feel happier work on canter in a secure environment using lots of transitions etc. to get her to focus and relax.

Is it possible for you to have some lessons on her?

Ringypie and kittih like this.
  5. 3dd13&P3rdy

That sounds like really good advice - thank you :)
    I rode her out again today with my mum walking with us. We just worked in walk and trot, and her trot was lovely and forward especially when my mum was running alongside us or in front (she was a bit more uncertain when we were in front).
    I wish we could try cantering in a until more enclosed space while I get to know her, but they don't have an arena so that might be difficult. Same with having a lesson on her, as it isn't my horse, I'm not sure if that would work...
    Thank you for the advice!

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could your mum lunge her with you on board in the field maybe?

You will automatically feel safer knowing mum also has a hold and the horse will likely be less fizzy as she knows she can’t bomb off?

There will be no cost to the owner and it’s for the horse’s benefit too so can’t see why they would object tbh.

I’d prefer that if the horse were mine rather than risk a potential accident.

Ringypie likes this.
  7. 3dd13&P3rdy

That sounds like at great idea - I think I'll try that next time I go up.
    I'll talk to the owner tonight about having a lesson as well.
    Thanks so much for the advice! :)

8. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Great advice as usual!!

And as usual I’m going to say lessons! I am a great believer in having a good trainer regardless of whether you are a happy hacker or jumping 1.20 tracks.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice