Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to get married??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vickie1985, Jul 13, 2009.

1. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

ok guys its killing us!!

we have like a 3k budget to get married.....

do we have a small wedding at home with just a few friends and close family?
    do we go to gretna on our own and just go for it?
    do we go abroard on a package and just do it on our own also?

we would like some family and close friends, but i feel the whole thing would be an uproar! my family hate my OH and it would feel awkward, but OH's family is really close.

OH says he wants to get married the way i want too...so no preassure!! :eek:hmy:

i feel so confused :(

2. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

IMHO i reakon you just gotta go out there and do it.. don't matter how, when, where, just go and do it.. save the grief of family probs, and do what YOU want to do.. its not there Freaking wedding is it!!
    Spontaneous always works for me!
    Go do it now!

3. animallover111

As we all know im not married but.....i def would not go to Gretna Green....as for getting married abroad my cousin wanted to do this but her mum and dad etc could not afford to go...so they had just a small wedding for family and close friends and it was perfect.....we were all there to celebrate their happy day :)

4. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Listen to NO-ONE but each other... Do what feels right for the pair of you..it's YOUR day!! so as long as it's special to you, it's doesn't matter about anyone else.

Just be happy :D

Those who love you WILL understand

5. animallover111

RED is spot on there though it is your day :)

6. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

Hiya Vick!

our budget is about the same, and the idea of all that uproar stress, thousands of pounds, hassle, terrifies me!

My fiance adores the idea of gretna and I do do (even tho the thought horrifies my family) but its YOUR day for you and your hubby to be, for me though, getting my mum and my fiances elderly mother to scotland is a bit of a task!

So we're now thinking of getting wed in our local church, only having 1 or 2 bridesmaids and then after have about 30 close family for a meal at the local pub and making it a intimate and cosy day :)

All the expensive or grand wedding receptions etc is all for other ppl 2 feed there face and whats the point of 100 relatives being there costing you money when u see them once every 2 years!!!

7. HammyHamster

HammyHamster PetForums Newbie

I know a few people how have been married at Gretna and loved it. I would look online at wedding forums, my mate used weddingchaos before hers and saved lots of money. People have been married on a lot less than £3000.

8. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

Thats the bit thats ticking me off too!! lol

9. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

The wedding is just one day .... it's the marriage that counts :)

10. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

We didn't invite many of our family to our wedding, there all a waste of space, but our wedding was a little differant to start with.. Don't ask, its a long story.
    We just invited all our internet friends instead, it was great, no one knew each others real names, so we were all calling each other by our screen names.. was a totally off the wall bizzaar day, but at the end of it, we remembered it, i think thats what its all about!

11. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

We had close family and friends to a civil ceremony in a local Golf club and it was brilliant, they really went to town and made it special, we had a sit down meal for these, then we stayed there and had a party for everyone else in the evening with buffet and disco. The total was under £3000 and it was a very special day, far better than my first wedding where I had the full church package. We did the flowers and every one took photos with digitals and we had some crackers. It was a lovely emotional day which I didnt expect it to be and a wonderfull time was had by all. Good luck whatever you decide.:)

12. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i got married 2 months ago and i would honestly say ELOPE! then have a big expensive dinner somewhere with all your families and friends.

I had to deal with my and oh's mum telling me what to do, having to constantly remind OH's mum of things i'd already told her, her changing details or suggesting things we didn't want but SHE really wanted and got uppity when we said no.. worst 6 months of my life.. the day was fabulous but only becuase I DID WHAT WE WANTED and only did a few things to shut the others up. IF i ever have the misfortune to get married again we will elope! and have a big swanky dinner instead.
    i have 3 mums and my step mum was the only one who didn't say/suggest anything annoying the whole time and that's not cos she's my step mum.. it's cos she's relaxed!

If you do go ahead and have a wedding with them involved... write EVERYTHING DOWN for each of them so they know what's going on with everything, give them regular up dates (otherwise you'll be pestered for info and asked for the same information at least 6 times (in 2 weeks in my case from the same BLOODY PERSON!)

First and foremost remember.. this is YOU AND YOUR OH'S DAY you do what you want, especially if YOU are paying for it! Sod em, have a great day on your own terms! :001_tt2:

good luck hope you do have a smashing day however you do it :D

3 red dogs likes this.
  13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We are thinking of havin close family only next yr and getting married on OH;s birthday as we are having a 30th birthday party for him on that day anyway so we thought we might kill two birds with one stone and only tell the people who matter the week before :)

14. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

Best post i seen for ages.. in total agreement with you!!!
    Made me laff to.. i so know where ya coming from!!!
    Repped for that

15. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

My marriage cost us £40 and that was 18 years ago.

16. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

ok now my OH is been a pain....he said how i wanted....

ive told him some bits and now hes saying he WANTS his family there!!
    which really leaves no choice but to have it at home, and i thought it would be my family thats awkward not the OH lol

17. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

thank you for rubbing it in that i will never get married that cheaply lol

18. HammyHamster

HammyHamster PetForums Newbie

Or if you don't mind the husband planning it apply to 'Dont tell the Bride' and have a £12,000 wedding lol

Make favour boxes, shop on Ebay, register office and pub meal, 2nd hand bridesmaid/pageboy outfits on Ebay, invites via email or make them and have a buffet style meal. You could do all that in under £1000 and have as many guests as you like. Set up a gift list with Thomas Cook and your honeymoon is free xx

19. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

I got married in Septmeber for about 1K, but we could have done it for less than that because we blew half of that on nice rings :blushing:. My dress was a 1940s turquoise blue ball gown I found on ebay for £80, I found matching shoes on eaby for £10. We had only close family invited. My boss did the photos, the local keeper donated a big basket of game for the evening buffet/ceilidh and we all went to the chippy for lunch ofter the wedding ceremony, in all our finery :D it really was the happiest day of my life, and the best thing was that we did it all our own way, totally original, and everyone mucked in together and helped out.

20. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

LOL i have just told the OH that,

OH's dad said he will sort our honeymoon, so i might ask for money as gifts for spending money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice