Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How to get dog back into agility??

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by livandchaz, Jun 30, 2016.

1. livandchaz

livandchaz PetForums Newbie

Me and my 2 year old cockapoo Charlie have been doing agility for just over a year now. We started with him quite young and he was very distracted and all over the place, so I put lots of time and effort into getting him focuses and enjoying agility. It took a long time but we finally got him competition ready, but a few weeks before competitions, this Getman Shephard at our class came over to him, barking and snarling in his face just as he came over the jump. He was terrified, bless him, and hid under a chair for the rest of the lesson, and I had to break out the liver and squeaky toys to get him to come out and jump over a single jump again. Since then he has been a bit off his game, and just isn't enjoying it anymore. He's very slow compared to normal, and I don't want him to do something he doesn't enjoy but I know he used to love it! We have a small amount of equiptment at home and when we practice at home he is fast and good at it, just at the club he isn't. The whole thing stresses me and him out so much, so I've taken a break from t for about a month. I want to take him back because I know he used to love it so much, and we will be going this Sunday to see how it goes. Does anyone have any advice? He's taken breaks like this before but never because of this, it was because of his neutering. Any tips on building his confidence back up anybody? Thanks x

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

He's associating the fear of the german shepherd with jumping now and unfortunately that will take some time to overcome. If possible you could find another club with a different environment and see how he goes there but yes I'll try the club again and even if he just stands around doing stuff on the flat for you confidently, not necessarily jumping, that's a good start.

3. livandchaz

livandchaz PetForums Newbie

The last time I took him before our break he was actually doing all the equiptment just very slowly without any motivation. I just want to know how I can make it amazing and fun again for him so he won't be so stressed out! The people at this club are like my family, so I don't really want to move, but I definitely don't want to see him so stressed out. I think this week I'll take him back armed with hotdogs, cheese and frolic (his favourite treat for some reason, even though it is an awful quality kibble) and give him loads of praise for everything. Hopefully I can build his confidence up again!

4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

See how he goes. If you like the club, maybe see if they can arrange 1-1 sessions so he's doing agility without other dogs present first.

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

If the GSD is still in the class it will be very difficult IMO. I've got a nervous little rescue collie bitch who does agility so I do understand the issue. It's taken a very long time for her to gain confidence but she has won many classes over the past 2.1/2 years. The last show we went to a few weeks ago, she won the agility class and second in the jumping class in the morning but I could sense she wasn't 100% happy. In the afternoon she was clearly scared of something - what I have no idea, (displacement behaviour - sniffing the grass etc). I wasn't sure whether to go on the Sunday being the same venue, and would have gone straight home if she wasn't happy, but she won both classes in the morning and in the afternoon I asked to train in the ring and simply played with her tuggy. It doesn't take much to upset a nervous dog and can take a very long time to overcome their fear.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

But he's jumping well at home so it's not jumping he's scared of, but more likely the club situation/venue (with this other dog in it). One of my youngsters doesn't like training in the far end of the arena my club uses, after a dog rushed at her there (not with any particular bad intention, just chasing). She's OK at the other end. But she's getting over it; a bit reluctant to start the course, but better once she gets going and improving all the time. It will take time; hopefully the GSD's owner will take better control of him. Have you spoken to her about how his behaviour has affected your dog?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice