Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to get cali a bit more confident around toddler?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CaliDog, Mar 26, 2017.

1. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

I am a little stuck with cali at the moment she's never been the most confident dog. She is quite nervous anyway being a border collie but I want to build her confidence up around George our toddler. She doesn't tend to sit with us in the day until he's gone to bed. (Although saying that last few days this is gradually getting better)

She's generally good with him she will have a good sniff and a lick but will run away as soon as he gets a bit excited. I would never force her to interact with him if she doesn't want to so I leave her to go to her safe place (our bed or hers) and don't push the issue.

Although lately we've had some break through they have played together today with a tug rope throwing it it was lovely to see but had a little bond developing.

I want to know how I can encourage their bond further and get calis confidence up a little around him?

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Honestly, I would just keep doing what you're doing. Give her plenty of safe spaces, show her you will intervene on her behalf if you need to, continue to praise and encourage her when she removes herself from the situation if she's uncomfortable.

One of our own dogs was not a very confident dog either, and though he absolutely loved the babies as infants, he had absolutely zero use for them when they became mobile. It took him a long time to get over that, and he didn't really start liking them again until they were about 5 years old. We just let him do his thing which was mainly avoiding them.

3. CaliDog

this is what we do it makes me feel guilty when she avoids us. Makes me think she doesn't want to be part of the family when I know that's daft because am sure she's happy she just likes her own company.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I know it's hard, but try not to overthink it. The toddler phase is relatively short, your George will be a preschooler before you know it, and will have the impulse control to interact better with Cali, and in the meantime Cali will have had time to get used to him.
    This too shall pass :)

CaliDog likes this.
  5. CaliDog

Although look what's happening at the moment! She's been laying her for a little while.
    20170326_183303.jpg

Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  6. CaliDog

thank you this makes me feel a lot better. I have feeling so guilty about it all in small baby steps am sure we will be there. It's great to get an outside view on everything this is why I love this place ☺

ouesi likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I agree, just keep doing what you are doing.

When the toddler is napping, etc. you can top up her cuddleometer! ;)

CaliDog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice