Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to find a ragdoll kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by belli, Nov 28, 2019.

1. belli

belli PetForums Newbie

Hello Everyone

I’m new here and would really appreciate your advice.

I’m looking for a ragdoll kitten, ideally a blue tabby/lynx mitted girl, although I know that’s a very specific ask!

I’ve contacted a few breeders but so far they haven’t seemed reputable (no registration, letting the kittens leave too young or before completing vaccinations etc).

I’m based in the middle of England and willing to travel pretty much anywhere for the right cat from an ethical breeder but it’s starting to seem like it’s an impossibility to find what I want.

Does anybody have any advice please?

Thank you!

2. Maurey

Maurey butler to a spoiled kitty

Have you checked out the pinned thread here? It's fairly exhaustive. Personally, I always recommend searching via registries. A legitimate registration with a formal organisation isn't a guarantee, but it's a great place to start.

belli likes this.
  3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

You need to start at shows, go and meet breeders and size them up, let them size you up, and see what sort of cats they produce. There is a GCCF show on Saturday in Bloxwich, West Midlands, which will have Ragdolls. There is also a FIFé show in Colchester on the 8th & 9th and a TICA show in Coventry on the 14th & 15th.

4. belli

belli PetForums Newbie

Thank you both so much for your helpful replies!

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I agree with attending shows.
    Refreshing to see someone researching first too :)

belli and Rufus15 like this.
  6. belli

belli PetForums Newbie

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate your replies. Hopefully I’ll be back to post a photo eventually!

7. belli

belli PetForums Newbie

Could I ask another question please?

A couple of breeders (whose cats are GCCF registered) have told me that if a kittens’ parents don’t have HCM/PKD then the kitten won’t have those health issues.
    Or they’ve said that the kittens’ parents are registered active, so the kitten therefore won’t have those health issues.

Is this enough or should I be requesting specific health checks on the kitten despite the good health of the parents?

8. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Ok, so NO breeder should be stating that their cats are clear of HCM and the kittens will never get the disease. The HCM test is only for a couple of genes that cause that disease, but there are plenty of others that do frustratingly. Walk away from ANY breeder who tells you that you kitten will never get HCM because the parents are tested negative. They are misinformed at best, or actively lying to you at worst. Try to find a breeder who not only tests but also has their cats scanned at least every couple of years by a veterinary cardiologist.

Walk away from ANY breeder who tells you that the kittens won't have health issues because the parents are registered active. Although Ragdolls need to be tested in order to be registered active that in itself is meaningless for the reasons stated above.

The PKD test is different however, and yes your kitten should be free from this disease if both parents are tested negative.

You should be able to see the parents health test certificates when you go to view kittens and should be given a copy when you take your kitten home.

Maurey and belli like this.
  9. belli

belli PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your helpful reply Tigermoon!

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I can highly recommend Cwtchycats Ragdolls in Wales. She has incredibly high standards of breeding. I've seen her home, know her well, and would buy from her myself if I was in the market.

belli and Milo’s mum like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice