UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to exercise two 3 year old terriers on leads when you can only go for a walk with your Dad (Alzheimers) who walks very slowly and not very far and can't be left alone for ten seconds, let alone for an hour to take the dogs for a decent walk???

It's only for a few days, I suppose, till my step-mother gets back, and they run crazily around the house together, so I suppose they are getting some exercise. I have a bag full of dog treats so maybe I'll make them do some work in exchange for those ... and maybe try to get Dad to work with them too (but he'll just give them the treats before they've done anything!).

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I would play games in the house that stimulate their mind in the house - hide the treats, dry food dispensing toys or make your own (a few pieces of kibble in an open lemonade bottle, wrapping dry kibble in newspaper and stufing it inside empty boxes) and doing some short training session.
A few days of short walks and lots of short but frequent indoor games will be fine.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
I would play games in the house that stimulate their mind in the house - hide the treats, dry food dispensing toys or make your own (a few pieces of kibble in an open lemonade bottle, wrapping dry kibble in newspaper and stufing it inside empty boxes) and doing some short training session.
A few days of short walks and lots of short but frequent indoor games will be fine.
yes :) all of these great ideas :)

They will be fine for a couple of days with some extra stimulation at home

G

·
Buy a horse lungeing whip, try 2nd hand, and tie a favorite toy to it, then sweep it around the backyard, always out of reach, until pups are pooped. Very good to exhaust dogs when you are lame, or elderly, or chronically ill. You can even do it sitting. Not as well, tho.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All those are great ideas, thank you. I might try to teach my step-mother's dog some tricks too - she's smart but untrained.

Just managed 30 mins walk along the coast path - but of this, we (me and dogs) spent 15 mins standing still, waiting for Dad! At least the dogs were outdoors and sniffing and exploring on the flexi-leads. I can't let step-mother's dog off lead, as I don't trust her recall at all (particularly near the rabbity fields on the edge of the coast path).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today has been sorted - drove to a tiny beach after lunch, let both dogs run around on end of flexi-leads (sheep very close to beach!), while Dad stood and shivered for a while on the edge of the beach. Then drove up to Carn Ingli, in the hills, and did the same (sheep, ponies, cows, hence leads still), also while Dad shivered.

Back at his house, I tried the lemonade bottle and kibble idea - Fly used the same trick as she does with her kong at home, but to no avail. Step-mother's dog didn't have a clue, so then I threw the food to the right, to the left, straight ahead, behind me, for each dog at a time (to minimise arguments), which they really enjoyed.

And now they are settled with a pizzle each, while I catch up with email.

Thanks for all the ideas - I particularly like the lunging whip one, but I haven't got quite enough time down here to get a lunging whip - maybe next time I can plan ahead for it.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Branch, string, toy on end Does the same job. ;) I find my terriers can't have a toy like that for more than 5 mins because they get so over excited.

I also tape up boxes and cut a hole for the dog and throw treats inside, nest boxes inside boxes, inside boxes and wrap up with newspaper. Keeps the terriers busy for ages! Trouble is, every time the postman delivers a parcel, the terriers think it's for them now!

Dog Games June - August 2012 | Facebook

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just done five min training session - taught step-mother's terrier (Purdey) "down" (Fly kept doing it in unison, the sweetie, so she had to have treats too), and am trying to get Purdey to learn "down stay" (fat chance!).

Nearly time surely for glass of wine?:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.