Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how to deal with irresponsible neighbours dog barking?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by missingadog, Aug 13, 2009.

1. missingadog

missingadog PetForums Junior

Hi there. We moved into a house at the same time as our neighbour. We get along fairly well with her, but we have had problems with her animals.

We live in a semi terrace and its a small house. We have a cat. I would like another dog but my partner says no and we only have a small yard.

Her house is the same but with an even smaller yard. She has 7 cats, 10 rabbits, a guinea pig, loads of mice, rats, some gerbils in cages, plus lots of something (i can't remember what she told me they were) in the spare room- now this damned dog. the whole house is filled with animals.

We have had problems with the cats coming into our house and eating my cats food, in the cat flap, and i suspect some of hers have fouled in my house, as it would be very out of character for my female cat to do that 3 times in a week. then in the garden fouling etc, digging up my veg patch. Then we had problems with the rabbits in our garden eating all of my stuff, and next door had a word with me saying she was concerned about the rabbits being in her garden as she has two young toddlers and is concerned about fouling, biting etc.

I have been round three times to say in a friendly way "erm, do you realise your pets have escaped and are running about?" she said ok thanks for telling me.. but nothing was done. i think she feigns concern, but is one of these dreadful people who thinks that pets being "happy" equals allowing them to do what they want. She is a hippy-ish type and hasn't got a strict bone in her body. She overheard me and another neighbour talking about the rabbits and called over the fence "it's ok,!" as if that's the point. I know the real reason is that she wants them to run free.

Next thing is this dog. It barks and barks and barks- it's doing it now. i can hear it over the tv even. Its been here 2 weeks and i havent seen it yet- my partner says its a springer. I know dogs, and i know that the way its barking is that its barking because its lonely. We look at the house and the lights are on and she appears to be in, yet the dog carries on barking. now here she is, with a dog shes not bothering with. the other night it was barking for 3 hours until 1am. sometimes it starts at 5am, and its upsetting because its howling and very sad.

I just think that shes the typical kind of person who doesnt take responsibility for her animals. she watches her cats go into other peoples homes and goes "aww! thats what he's like..look at him there!" if that were my cat going into peoples homes i'd be mortified. my cat is not allowed in the bedroom even. I take responsibility for my animals and keep them under control. if i see my cat scratching a neighbours gatepost i go out and shout "no!" Yet i'm living next door to somebody who lets their zoo run riot. i know this dog will end up untrained and undisciplined, and i've no doubt that she doesn't understand that dogs are not like cats- you can't just go out for hours and leave it and dogs need stimulation and discipline. instead this dog spends at least 3 hours each day howling.

We do have the same landlord so if i wanted to be vindictive, i could report this, and i would be justified in doing so. I don't think my landlord has any idea how many animals are in the property. I don't want to be like this- i'm not that kind of person and i don't like confrontations and i don't want bad blood. i considered putting a note through her door saying "do you realise your dog barks constantly when you arent in?" but it would be embarrassing if she were in! How should i deal with this without causing offence or it getting personal? my worry is that any reasonable pet owner would not allow all of this to happen in the first place!

#1 missingadog, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would start with an annonymous note through the letterbox mentioning that if it continues you will go to environmental health.

3. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

i think you need to have this out with her once and for all,so she knows what trouble its causing,if nothing gets done then i would report her to the landlord.As far as the rabbits go cant you animal proof your garden better from your side to prevent them getting in??

4. shortbackandsides

I think this is a MUCH better idea,keep it all annoymous!! then if you have to report it,it wont comeback on you!!!

5. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

You need to mention to her that her dog barks when she's out, she may not know. We had a dog that suffered from SA and barked while we were out, but we didn't know. She was always quite when we left and when we came home. I came home one day to a very snotty nieghbour. I was not impressed. I wouldn't have minded if she'd told me straight away, I would've dealt with the problem alot sooner, but there was no need for her to be like she was with me.

I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest about all the other animals though.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Have another word with her, and say it is upsetting your cats having other cats come in and the dog barking. Other people might not be as nice and just call the landlord!
    Or you can actually call the police if the dog is reppetitively barking in the middle of the night, it is a form of noise pollution.
    Can you get some cheap green garden mesh from your garden store so the bunnies can't get in?
    Or tell her if her pets keep damaging your plants and veg, she will have to pay for them!

It sounds like she is a real nuisance! I hope you get it sorted.

x

7. shortbackandsides

you can get catflaps that are operated by your cats microchip,preventing other cats from getting in.

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I have done this before, and recommended it to other people as a first step: Go to the Dogs Trust website where they have a lot of very good information sheets, print out the one about Barking and drop it through the letterbox.

There's also a good leaflet to print about Separation Anxiety, and a Stopping Dogs Getting Bored one (or similar title), so if you can work out why the dog's barking you could add one of them too.

If that doesn't help, Step 2 is ask your dog warden for advice, they'll go around to have a constructive word. If the barking's bothering you, it'll be bothering other people too so anyone could have complained.

Step 3 would be Environmental Health who can also have a nice word. As they are also part of the local council along with the Dog Warden they can liaise and there will be a record of the complaint to the dog warden.

I wonder if the landlord knows she has so many? But complaining to a landlord would be right at the bottom of my very very last resort list - I rent with animals too and I know how flippin' hard it is to find accommodation that allows them. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anyone with animals ended up homeless on my account.

PS: Dog wardens can advise on other animals too.

westie~ma likes this.
  9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

10. missingadog

missingadog PetForums Junior

Thanks for the responses! i think that if i were to write an anonymous note, shed know it was me as i'm in the adjoining house. I seem to have temporarily solved it by sounding a hooter and shouting no! It stopped. when it piped up again, i yelled no! and it stopped. Which is evebn more sad as it seems to catch on quickly and be reassured by the fact he can hear me on the other side of the wall. If it continues which it may, i may have to talk to her and offer some SA info. i wouldnt be surprised if it were barking because it was under stimulated. we have cat proofed the garden, DH had to make fences to go in the gaps to block them off, and we sorted out the cat flaps. She is a nice person next door and its nothing personal, but i really don't like it when peoples animals cause problems for other people - it makes it awkward and i shouldnt have to spend my time arsing about with other peoples pets. it would bother me immensely if somebody knocked on my door about mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice