Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to deal with a neighbour pet dispute.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mightyb, Mar 31, 2011.

1. mightyb

mightyb PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I don't know what to do. Yesterday I bumped into my neighbour who complained that our new pomeranian puppy chased two of her cats into the corner and started biting them which resulted in £200 vet's expenses. She has not actually seen it happen. Apparently another neighbour saw it (And I can't quite see how she could do that unless she climbed something because we have tall garden fences) and the vet said that wounds look like dog bites.

The funny thing is, our puppy is actually smaller than their cats, it get's on fine with our own cat and we have not seen any scratches on him. I somewhat doubt a cat would just sit there and let a dog chew on it's feet without fighting back. I also don't see how these cats were unable to get away because the climb our fences all the time and there are tons of escape routes for them.

Her argument is she can't control her cats and they like to roam free and venture into our garden so we should now only let our puppy out while somebody is watching him.

Anyhow, I would like to sort this out once and for all in order to avoid any kind of disputes in the future. What can we do? Are there some sort of anti-cat barriers we can put up at the top of our wooden fences? Should we pay for these? Are there any other ways to resolve this? Also, she keep on mentioning the money she had to spend. If she decides to take legal action we are pretty safe right?

Thank you!

2. Agree with Hawksport!
    some people will try ANYTHING

3. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

If they dont want their cats getting hurt, tell them to not let them out!

Your dog was in your garden, they dont have a leg to stand on so sod 'em

4. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I would be inclined to contact the vet and have a chat with him/her about the sitation and ask if your dog could have inflicted the damage this lady has said has been done to her cats.

but yes same as the others,, silly bint..

5. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Two cats versus one Pom'? :blink:

I think someone's trying to pull a fast one here.

When cornered I've seen a single cat fly for a large breed dog and make it yelp in agony by hanging beneath its rib cage and frenziedly biting and clawing the poor animal.

I doubt very much there's any truth in what they're claiming.

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Without someone actually seeing this, how do you know that it was your dog. Sounds like you may be being played for help with vets bills. Your neighbour can do something about her cats, they can be kept as housecats. ;) Personally I would do nothing without 110% proof that my dog caused that damage, and to be honest I'd probably not do anything then either, my nextdoor neighbouts cats cut through our garden at times, and my spaniels have yet to catch either of them.

7. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Its very simple. Repeat the following to your neighbour:

"Can you prove it? Well Fcuk off" :D

if she was so worried she'd keep her cats in :rolleyes:

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You mentioned two cats? I cant see a small pup cornering two cats and biting them. Cats are not stupid, I cant see them getting cornered and if they were find it hard to believe they wouldnt spit and claw back, which would mean marks on the pup too. If it was in your garden, wouldnt think she has a leg to stand on to be honest.

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

One of those things really, the cats were in YOUR garden.

My only concern would be (though obviously would not want to see cats hurt) is that your Pom comes off worst!

If it were me, I'd speak to neighbour and assure her that you are aware of the situation and try and check no cats are in garden before you let your dog out ... but that you cannot guarantee it ... this might placate her.

I would do this anyway form my dogs own safety, cats can inflict a lot of damage if cornered.

Personally I would not make an enemy of your neigbour. A collaegeue had a similar situation that was ongoing and it really turned nasty. One of her dogs was poisoned, of course she could not blame neighbour and maybe coincidence, but who knows ...

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

She sounds like a chancer to me mate! :mad:

My neighbours have got dogs and ALL the cats in the neighbourhood know to avoid their garden when the dogs are out & they all have a good look for the dogs before they enter. Cats are not stupid no matter how pampered they are!

Furthermore, cats have hearing that can hear a fridge door opening from over a mile away, I think they would hear your puppy gamboling up to them soon enough to make a sharp exit if need be.

Finally, NO cat will allow itself to be 'attacked' without putting up a good fight. Your pups face would look like it had been run over with a cheese grater if it had gotten that close to the kitties.

If I were you I'd be saying "Show me the proof girlfriend otherwise take a long walk off a short pier!"

I would also establish just how 'friendly' she is with the neighbour who claims to have seen this happen. Just in case they are well chummy and they do try to pull a fast one on you.

11. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

There would only be one thing the silly cow would get from me.....:dita:

Dont give them a penny, shes obviously a sandwich short of a picnic:blink:

Lavenderb likes this.
  12. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Whatever the truth of the matter is and as galling as it may be, do try to keep her 'sweet' if you possibly can. As Amethyst said, I too have seen neighbour disputes become very vindictive.. not that I'm suggesting you would escalate things. We have a neighbour who, on the face of it, is a very respectable, quiet, professional lady buy boy is she anything but when it comes to vindictiveness.

I guess its possible your pup could have chased and cornered the cats - lots of dogs don't chase their 'own' cats but will chase strange cats and I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he managed to get in with a nip or two. But it's her responsibility to keep her cats in her own garden should she so wish; not for you to go to the expense and trouble to keep them out. Some cat owners are bloody annoying with the age old "they go where they like".. it infuriaties me!

13. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Humm then tell her your cats were trespassing on my property and if my dog did any such thing then he was protecting what is his.

My dog has no marks on him and if he was attacking any cat then he would infact be covered in scratches himself.

thats what i'd say

My greyhound was attacked by a cat. Cat came into my garden with6 ft fencing all around it couldn't get back out, THew dog chased said cat and the cat attacked and managed to get out in the end.

My vet bill was £150 as the cat tookj a slice out of the greyhounds ear and cut her inner eyelid so it was hanging Just missed her eye.

and if she is using cats then well two cats againest 1 dog HUMMMMM i can't see it! more likily two cats fighting each other!

14. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I suspect no pom could corner two cats! If they jumped over the fence to come in that is exactly what they would have done to get out!

15. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I, like others have said, doubt it was your dog, 2 cats vs 1 dog seems highly unlikely in my opinion.

My concern is that it wasn't the owner of the cats who 'saw' it but another neighbour :rolleyes: How well do you get on with this other neighbour? and is there a chance they are being vindictive?

She can do something about her cats, she can bl**dy well keep them in, just because cats can get out and about doesn't give their owners free rein to let them go into neighbouring gardens - that is private property, so she shouldn't use the excuse, "they are cats".

I would try to remain as 'sweet' as possible though, because neighbourhood feuds can be a nightmare.

You can get something to cat proof your garden, it goes all the way around the top of your fence. I know it works if you have cats and want to stop them jumping over the fence, but I'm not sure if it would work as well by stopping cats getting into your garden though, but my hairdresser has it to stop her cats getting out of the garden, I don't think she's had any cats get into her garden though so maybe it does work in reverse :confused: But it was expensive but maybe it would be a price worth paying to stop any future vet bills.

16. mightyb

mightyb PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all the replies guys. I'll go speak to her again now I know she has no legal grounds. This is what I thought but had to make sure. And yes, I would rather keep it civilized. If she was not my neighbour I would deffenetely tell her to go make love to herself.

17. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

My mums cat was had by her neighbours greyhound, on his garden. The dog was muzzled (I did witness one of her other cats vanish to an un muzzled grey)
    any way the dog was almost as badly injured as the cat. Cats put up one hell of a fight. Mum offer to pay for any damage the cat had done, but they all get along so it was left at that lesson learnt.
    I think if your pup had, had the cats he'd be pretty scratched up.
    If they don't want their cats chased don't let them out onto your garden.

I have a cat so am not feline owner bashing :D

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Maybe she has to and that is why she's being a right pain in the a*se!!!! :eek: :eek:

19. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

I doubt it, its propbaly because shes talking out her arse:rolleyes:

20. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Try a thread on here about cats being allowed to wander and see the hate mail you'll get.
    I never understand the crocodile tears over a squashed moggie on the roads when their owners are responsible.A country cat wandering the fields and farms...fair enough.But in the towns with todays traffic it's ridiculous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice