Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to cook chicken?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MySugar, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Ok, so I am 26 years old, lived away from home for 8 years and do not know how to cook chicken! I can make some great vegetarian meals though ;)
    My partner and I split up recently and he used to do all of the meat cooking for him and my son. Now he is gone, I need to learn. I'm doing a roast today and i'm going to do some chicken for my son and cats :D I am going to cycle to Tesco and buy a ready roasted one, yep total cheat, but want to know for the future. Because soon I am going to a Butchers for the first ever time and buy proper chicken. Yay me, i'm growing up :D

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I normally cook it on 4 and check the juices are running clear after 1 1/2 hours. Don't quote me on it though as I don't want you to be ill..but thats what I do.

3. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you, it won't be me that's ill though as I don't eat meat. It'll be my son and cats ;)

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I cant cook chicken it always burns ha ha...so i am afraid i cant advise you on this unless you want a black chicken :p LOL

5. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I don't think you can go wrong really when roasting a chicken, I normally check them after and hour ( oh the joys of having fan assisted ovens :D ) then if not fully cooked keep checking every 10-15 minutes, if the juices are running clear and there is no smears on the knife, your ready to eat.

6. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Lol DD, black chicken is not intended to be on the menu...but you never know!

Thanks Nicci, I too used to have a fan assisted oven. They're great. Now I have a gas oven that cremates everything if not really really carefull.
    What about seasoning? Or just cook plain? I really am clueless with meat :blushing:

7. animallover111

Im a cheat too i buy cooked chicken too...the reason is there is only my son who really eats chicken and he loves the extra tasty ones from morissons.......:D

8. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I'm glad i'm not the only one cheating then. But i'm leaving it a bit late, they may all be gone being a Sunday :eek: Better get my @ss on my bike and get going!

animallover111 likes this.
  9. Nicci

Nicci Guest

A nice marinade for a chicken is garlic, lemon and thyme ;)

*2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
    *1/2 cup lemon juice
    *2 cloves garlic, crushed
    *2 teaspoons dried thyme

In a small bowl, whisk together lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, dried thyme, add salt and pepper. Spoon lemon mixture over chicken; refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, then cook - Hubby is a fan ;)

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Or brush with a little olive oil ans salt and ground black pepper if you want something easy peasey. Thyme is nice on top to.

11. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Nicci - Mmm, I don't even eat chicken and that sounds nice! I'll try that on my son some time (for him to eat, not to eat him, lol).

Sullivan - Thank you. I did brush with olive oil and pepper and my son seemed to like it.

The first time I ever cooked chicken, and Louis (my son) and the cats all liked it so was a success :D

12. animallover111

WHAT.....:eek: you actually cooked a chicken and didnt buy a cooked one.......

13. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I had to, by the time I got there they'd all gone :rolleyes:

14. animallover111

[​IMG]
    yeah well done....xxx

15. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Im not the best on cooking meat (i was veggie for seven years) but i find the instructions on the back of the packet are pretty good lol, i think it says 20 mins for every 0.5 plus and extra 20. depends on size of chicken but as i say there are always instruction on a fresh one, yay!

16. animallover111

i have only just learnt to put pics up so i keep finding pics for every occassion........:D

17. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

And it is appreciated! Thank you :) I'm feeling rather proud of myself :D

18. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Yes I noticed there was instructions, was a help but I still phoned my Mum. Lol.
    WAS a veggie? Not any more then?

19. animallover111

so you should.....think i might have a go tomorrow.....cooking a chicken that is.......:D

20. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i always cover mine with foil and then for the last half hour say take it off an sprinkle the skin with salt so its nice and crispy...then when it has been out of the over for 1/4 hr rip its wings off and eat them.mmmmmmmm..to die for , then peel all the skin off and eat that ...lovely..the chicken is not a pretty sight in the morning though

The wings and the skin are my treat after all i put all the hard work in cooking it!!!!

juliex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice