Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to complete toilet training with an adult dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 2, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Milo is a 20 month old labrador male (neutered).

When he came, we didn't know if he had been toilet trained or not. He tried to pee up walls etc a few times but after being told no and ushered outside he got the idea he can't go toilet inside. Sorted.

Problem is he doesn't seem to like weeing more than twice a day. He's had a pee test and check at the vet and all is fine so its something in his head.

Few weeks ago we were eating dinner in the front room and Milo walked up to my Mum and peed up her leg. She was like WTF! And he leapt about and carried on peeing everywhere hence the vet visit.

Just now he came and sat next to me on the sofa. He moved off a minute later and there was a bit of a wet patch like a biggish drink spillage. Felt his winkie which was wet so took him outside and he did a humungous wee.

At 3am in the morning he regularly wakes up my Mum to go toilet especially for a number two. He doesn't seem to realise outside = toilet time? I'm praising him like mad everytime he goes toilet but if I let him out every 4-6 hours half the time he doesn't go.

He went at 7am this morning and just now (6.15pm) and has drunk a lot today so may wee before bed or may not.

But I'm not sure what to do with him really, he seems to know how to ask to go out but doesn't like to in case he misses out on something? And he just pees so infrequently it can't be good for him :nonod: Rupert goes at least four times a day I think. I send Rupert out first in the hope he will mark over Rupert's pee but he literally wont unless its one of his two wees a day :(

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Does he urinate on walks? If so I'd be inclined to take him out for several short walks aday, so he can pee up bushes and lampposts, even if he is just scent marking, he's still urinating. Holding for that length of time is not good at all, he will make himself very prone to bladder and urinary tract infections.

3. GoldenShadow

This is the weird thing, he doesn't really mark on walks, I don't think I've ever seen him wee on one..? Rupert the golden will mark a bit (he's 2.5 years) but Milo doesn't. I got him to pee outside the vets once but only because he tried to pee in there, I took him out and I think he was a bit desperate.

He was marking in the house when he first came and in pets at home but was neutered in December, I'm wondering if that's had an affect on him wanting to mark? Its hard to say if the neutering makes him want to pee less because he was done pretty sharpish after we got him (had a damaged tooth which needed removing so got both done together).

Just found quite a lot more pee on another chair he must of been quite desperate just not sure what to do with him really, I wonder if its a bit like him not wanting to go out on his own (don't let them go together to pee else they just play and it loses point for Milo learning) because he doesn't want to miss out on the fun or something? :(

We got him from a couple who had another dog til Milo was about 10 months old then the dog died. From then til 16 months Milo was on his own and had always lived outside, didn't get much human interaction we don't think either. He's OK left in the kitchen alone (Rupert is crated elsewhere) when we go out but its as though he is desperate to stay with us inside and doesn't want to ask to go...

#3 GoldenShadow, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'd go back to the puppy method with him. Outside on lead every hour or two, after waking, eating, playing, drinking etc. Stay out there with him for fifteen minutes and if nothing, come back in and try again later. Mad crazy hyper praise and a treat if he does go.

5. GoldenShadow

OK, if he doesn't go should I just bring him in/take lead off and not pay him too much attention?

He's a funny boy because its not like he can't hold it he can go over 12 hours without going quite happily but I'm concerned its not good for his health :(

If you let Rupert out and tell him to go toilet he'd probably go every half hour knowing about the treat :rolleyes:

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If he doesn't go I'd bring him back inside. You can also try adding in a command when he does pee so you can train him to pee on command. I use "be quick" for my lads, but it can be anything you want!

Also just wanted to say I love your new sig.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice