Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to catch them??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, May 6, 2010.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

My Pickles and Amos are a complete and utter nightmare to catch. It is so stressful for me and I am sure them too. I have to chase them around the shed. When I manage to catch Pickles - she is panting and very stressed. She is easier to catch than Amos - he is little and boy is he fast!! I don't want to have to chase them and cause them unnecessary stress - does anyone have good ideas as how to catch them easier? Also - does anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
    Jacqui

2. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

We only catch ours when we have to - Ee put their food down, they run up and start munching, we shut them in that part of their set up and then just reach in and get them.

I would suggest setting up a small pen in their shed, put their food in it when you want to get them, wait for them to go in and close the pen. Then they're in a much smaller area. That, or get a large dog carrier/crate and use the same method.

Possibly try getting down to their level as well?

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I think you need a Sally-dog - the dog my family had when I was in my late teens. One day my Dad found she had killed one of my rabbits that had escaped, and he gave her a real walloping (not my idea, I can assure you! :mad:) ....which made her very fearful of going near them afterwards.

Instead I trained her to help me herd them back into the shed, and she was a real natural... she loved it (collie in her mixed background!). She was so brilliant at it, obeyed all my commands and stayed at a distance, never scared the rabbits and worked opposite me at a diagonal, circling just like a sheepdog and never chased them, so between us we would round them up and gently herd them home. She really learned to love them after that and never harmed one ever again.

4. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I have the same trouble with mine! Get them to a corner, and you just have to go for it. A real quick grab is better than a chase imo.
    I usually scruff just to hold them still when I first get them, then get so that I can actually pick them up.

*Heidi*

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I have the same trouble with some of mine. I usually herd them into a corner with part of a run. Hold the run against the wall in the corner with my feet then pick them up :)

I hope that makes sense :eek:

6. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

You are not alone! My two are a nightmare to catch too!

Alan is super quick and the only way to get him is to grab him quickly and hold him firmly so he doesn't squiggle. Once I've got him he then becomes a little sweetie and will cuddle for a bit.

Lottie I usually have to chase into a corner. Sometimes if they are sleepy i'm lucky and can pick her up straightaway. She gets in a real state though and pants and even squeaks/grunts sometimes but she is better with me than my OH-she really doesn't like men. So I don't hold her for long but she'll sit on my lap quite happily for a while.

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

my darling George hates being picked up, I have trained him to go into the cat carrier when I put it on the floor, a few treats help. then I lock him in and move the box so he can come out and sit on my knee for his eye wash. He is the sweetest little boy ever, I hate stressing him.

With Miffy I usually put food down and then give her a few strokes at least twice a day, when she needs to be checked over ive got her before she even realises it.

8. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I'd love to bring my two into the house more but it's impossible as they're so hard to catch. That's why I have decided to get the 5 1/2 by 6 foot run attached to shed. So they can have more space and get a change of scenery. Amos is an absolute wee darlin' when I pick him up. He cuddles in to me. Pickles just sits still as she is petrified.

9. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Aww bless pickles- it does sound like my Lottie- she just freezes and breathes fast when I pick her up but she is better than she used to be.

Try sitting down on a chair with her on your lap, lay your hand on her ears so that her ears are flat against her back and just stroke her gently for a while. Laying hands on their ears calms Lottie down and then she relaxes and I can have cuddles then! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice