Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to Care for an Anatolian Shepherd Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dogsman, May 13, 2010.

1. dogsman

dogsman PetForums Newbie

The Anatolian Shepherd Dog is also known as the African lion hound because of its effectiveness in hunting lions in its homeland of southern Africa. As a puppy, the Anatolian Shepherd Dog is extremely energetic, but as he matures he will slow down and be content to lie next to his owner. Anatolian Shepherd Dogs do well indoors, but do need a big backyard to play in. Parts of this eHow are provided courtesy of the Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club of the United States.

Step 1 Vaccinate your Anatolian Shepherd Dog when you first get him and then get yearly booster vaccinations to maintain his immunity to diseases. Consult your veterinarian about flea-control products and establishing a heartworm prevention schedule.

Step 2 Feed your Anatolian Shepherd Dog high-grade dog food. The first ingredient should be meat. Crude protein should be no less than 30 percent, and crude fat no less than 20 percent. The fiber content should be 4 percent or less.

Step 3 Brush and shampoo your Anatolian Shepherd Dog only as needed. Because of their short coats, they need little grooming. They are medium shedders.

Step 4 Check and trim toenails every two to three weeks.

Step 5 Exercise your Anatolian Shepherd Dog daily, if possible, although this breed is flexible and will adjust to your routine. Anatolian Shepherd Dogs have a lot of stamina and make great companions for runners. They also love to swim.

Step 6 Train your dog early on in obedience. Because of their size, Anatolian Shepherd Dogs can injure themselves or others if not properly trained. They respond best to a gentle hand. You will need to be patient while training your Anatolian Shepherd Dog, as these dogs tend to be stubborn.

Step 7 Socialize a Anatolian Shepherd Dog to be with cats, dogs and other pets from an early age. Male Anatolian Shepherd Dogs tend to have problems with other dogs.

Step 8 Make sure you have a fence that is more than 6 feet high around your property. Anatolian Shepherd Dogs are very athletic and can jump fences.

Step 9 Understand the health problems related to Anatolian Shepherd Dogs. They are prone to hip dysplasia and dermoid sinus.

Step 10 Be prepared to enjoy 10 to 12 years with your dog, as this is the average life expectancy of a Anatolian Shepherd Dog.

2. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

The breed actually originates from Turkey.:)

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Formerly a part of Anatolia

4. Shamen

Shamen Guest

African lion hound is another name for the Rhodesian Ridgeback:)

5. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

There is one in Jerry Green's, I wanted to take him home and feed him up but he is not good with cats. He is huge but lovely.

6. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Turkey is part of Asia Minor.

History on the breed can be found here - <History of the Anatolian Shepherd Dog>

No mention of it being an 'African Lion Hound'? It is mainly used as a flock guardian in it's native country and in the United States. If anyone can find a link to the 'Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club of the United States' I would be grateful. I have a special interest in the breed due to my sister having owned three of them in recent years and I did a study and presntation of them for the City & Guilds in Canine Studies 15 years or so ago when information about them was very hard to come by.

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I agree with the others :confused:

I researched them for my next dog, i love them and will have one, one day!!

8. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

See post 5 :thumbup:

9. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Anatolians are LGDs Livestock guards, which comes with a whole SLEW of built-in features, just like a refrigerator... no door-ice dispenser, but lots of other (useless) features for the pet-owning person! :rolleyes: ;)

(Plagiarised quote)

#9 Zaros, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I saw it! So not fair!! :lol: It would be too tempting for me! Except i too have cats. But one is rescue would secure it for me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice