Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to bond 2 Boy Buns.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tammy0407, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Tammy0407

Tammy0407 PetForums Member

Hi everyone

I havent posted very much, im more of a reader myself, so i shall start from the begining.

I adopted Alfie last year and he is now about 9 months old and was neutered in November. So he is a house bun, is out with us all the time and is fantastic, doesnt cause too much trouble

I have alwasy said about getting him a friend and am thinking about doing so now. We have the funds and the space so is all is ready.

I have found a local resuce to get a bun from but i have two main questions..

1) i found a boy who would be perfect. Should it be another neutered boy or should i get a girl who can be spayed. The boy is about 12 weeks old.

2) How do i go about bonding them. I have other animals (rats) so with them i introduce the on neutral territory and take it from there depending how well intros go and if they scrap etc etc as to wehn they live together....

I hope all of this makes sense!

Sooo, thank you all in advance x

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

they both need to be neutered before you try to bond them, and they will both need to be atleast 6 weeks after the op before you start to bond

bonding needs to be done in a neutral space, start with a small pen, chasing and fur pulling is natural and as long as theres no blood drawn leave them to it, you need to keep a very close eye on them for the first few days, then you can slowly start to extend their space, if theres any chasing or fur pulling at that point cut back the space again

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Its generally much more successful to get a spayed doe and bond them rather than two boys. Which rescue are you going to? Some will bond them for you if they are experienced.

4. Tammy0407

Thanks for the advice.

We have also found (in a local P@H - i know not idea but she is in the adoption centre and i was there when she was brought in so i know she is unsold stock) a giant female. She is spayed. Would she be a better option?

There are a couple of rescues near me. Woodgreen is one of them and its where i got some of my ratties from. Problem being that they gernerally dont have just a single bun, or at least last time i was there they didnt have single buns and i dont want to split already bonded pairs.

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Ooo I've jsut seen you live near me- I live near Cambridge too!

I got Lottie from Woodgreen - she was in a group of 3 so I didn't feel too mean taking her away from her friends. Its worth popping along as I think it takes them a little while to update their website, Lottie wasn't on there and I think the single buns go quicker.

This website has buns on from all over so might be worth a look Rabbit Rehome - Adopt an unwanted bunny from a rescue centre

I think its easier to bond a girl with a boy but two neutered boys isn't impossible- the one you've found at 12weeks old won't be ready for neutering for 6 months though so if you get him you'd have to house him seperately to the other one for a while. Not sure on a giant with a normal bun, some people on here have giants living with normal rabbits and there don't seem to be any problems.

6. Tammy0407

Aw thats awesome! Its great to know there are people locally!

I just saw a picture of your Lottie and she is lovely.

Funnily enough the giant we found is called Lottie :D I saw her and i fell in love with her. P@H being useless as they are at times, put he in the as pen and i nearly cried as i went up to the galss doors and she came bounding up to me and put both paws up on the glass, then span around and came back! TOTALLY WANT HER.

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Its good that shes spayed, was she returned by the owners? PAH dont routinely spay adoption rabbits. If you've fallen for her and have the right size accomodation then go for it.

8. Tammy0407

Thank you so much! I was actually really worried about telling people that she is in P@H but its nice to see that people realise if that makes sense. i think she is spayed so its not too much of a worry and if she isnt then its something we will have to deal with soon :) Thank you so much for your support.

9. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Being called Lottie she must be lovely ;)

If you like her and have the room for a giant then I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. As I said before other people on this forum have giants living with normal sized rabbits and I don't think it matters. Have a chat with P@H and see if you can find out her background, if she's spayed etc (it'll be easier to bond her if she is)

10. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Lol, you live near me :)
    I think the one in P@H is a good idea, particulary if she is already spayed :) I have 3 big ones, a medium one and 2 little ones together and they get on great :)
    Try Block Fen in Wimblington for a single bunny, they tend to have quite a few in but I'm not sure they would bond them for you. Woodgreen always bond their bunnys into pairs which I think makes it harder to rehome them sometimes because of people looking for a friend for the one they already have! I also found they wanted to tell me which ones to have (they wanted me to have an older, grumpy pair because I'm experienced) rather than me see which I liked first?!
    A girl would be an easier bond, but 2 neutered males can work.

*Heidi*

#10 hazyreality, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

If things dont work out with the P@h bunny I would ask woodgreen to keep a girl separate for you. At this time of year the rescues are already filling up.

In the last week my local rescue has had 1 litter, 4 rabbits passed on by the RSPCA, and one left over baby as the mum had just had a second litter 4 weeks later. :( i dread to think what next Sunday will be like

12. Tammy0407

Thank you all for your advice :) Its great to have some support.

So an update.
    We went to P@H to see Lottie and she was still there. However, she was not the same bun that i saw a month ago. I felt awful for her. She wouldnt be picked up, where as before she couldnt get enough of it. She was just lying there looking sorry for herself and i couldnt blame her! I wanted to take her home with us, and bring back that big bouncy bun that i fell in love with but my OH was firm and said that she would be alot of work and that as this is the first time we are doing this we dont want to make it harder than it already is. So i very unwillingly let :( I have never felt so awful.

So knowing i felt awful, my OH said lets go look in another P@H and see if they have any buns in the adoption centre which is what we did. And we found the little girl we will be picking up tonight. She, like Lottie, had been brought in becuase her owners had a dog - and funnily enough, they didnt get on. She is gorgeous! We held her and had a good cuddle and seh fell asleep on us :eek:

So that is where we are atm. I wont lie, im petrified! Im actually super scared of it all going wrong and having 2 buns that hate each other and me for doing it to them. I think the last time i was this scared was when i did my first rat introduction! Last night Alfie was cuddled up with me having his ears scratched just the way he likes having it done and i thought "you dont need a friend you have me i shall do this with you all the time" and then in my heart of hearts i know he needs some babbity rabbity company! Please tell me this is all going to be ok.......

13. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

To be honest Lottie probably would have settled, most buns dont like being picked up and if shes been stuck in those tiny pens at PAH for a long time shes bound to be very fed up. When i got Dreamer, he used to thump and shake when i went to the hutch, he was like a wild rabbit. With time and patience he came round and now is the most loving sweet little bunny you'd ever meet, he follows me everywhere. Whatever bun you get you need to sit in with them and spend the time to bond with them.

Its a good idea for you to get to know her before you attempt to bond anyway as you'll have a better idea of her personality. Definetely get her spayed and leave it a few weeks for hormones to settle before you bond them.

The most important thing is you introduce them in a neutral small area and set aside a weekend to monitor them. You'll need to expect humping and chasing, they will settle and it'll all be worth it in the end.

14. Tammy0407

Those are all things i said to my OH, but we have to do this together and if he isnt happy then i have to respect that :)

I have a neutral space all sorted and set out...its my entrance hall. neither bun has been there except when they have been brought through in a carrier. Its got a glass door, and enough space for me to sit in and make sure they are ok. Otherwise its my bathroom or spare room which are both a little bigger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice