UK Pet Forums Forum banner

How to best choose a boarding kennel for dog

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Oggy's Den 
#1 ·
Hello

Not posted very much here since I lost my beautiful girl 2 years ago. We got a JRT 14 months ago, and we are at the stage that we want to consider putting him in kennels for the first time, just for 3-4 nights whilst we have a short break (we both lost our Mums last year so really feel like we need a break now abroad although we have had 3 short UK breaks with him)

How do you best choose kennels? In my mind I want somewhere that will be

1. Secure and safe - I am terrified of him being stolen or escaping
2. Knowledgeable and patient - he hates having doors closed on him so they will need to do what we suggest rather than try something different, He doesn't like some other dogs, loves others. Mainly barks +++ at Labs, Collies, Cockerpoos....that size of dogs, generally OK with smaller dogs
3. meet his / our needs
4. Clean

I have been to see a couple and have come away worrying about their safety.....and I know that this is something I need to get over but until I do I need to know he can't escape, and that they are secure when there are no staff around.

Thank you

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Get a licensed dog home boarder or licensed kennels- anyone else is a cowboy - invest in a Tractive GPS Tracker, if your dog is a genuine escape risk it cant be home boarded, put it in a kennel and put up with the fact it is gong to have to learn to handle the situation. Get it trained !

Every dog owner has to trust others to care for their dog.

Go get some professional help dealing with the stress etc if it is you that needs training !

Choosing someone reliable ....reviews, are they licensed, meet them and use your lifetimes experience to decide if they are genuine, see how busy they are, actually check their credentials, ask questions, research...How do you chose as restaurant to eat in ?

Replier above .. see if someone is happy to take the keys to someone elses home and sit their pets , walk upto six dogs at a time *) is it , no licence required (for dog walkers) .. but is too scared to do their research and let another professional look after their dog.. .you have to wonder how good they are are looking after anything ....

Worry is fine ... paranoia ..not being able to cope with risk and make sensible decisions ...thats not helpful.

There are few guarantees in life.

#6 ·
Replier above .. see if someone is happy to take the keys to someone elses home and sit their pets , walk upto six dogs at a time *) is it , no licence required (for dog walkers) .. but is too scared to do their research and let another professional look after their dog.. .you have to wonder how good they are are looking after anything ....
Just because rona chooses not to leave her own dog/s with anyone does not mean she is not able to look after someone else's dog responsibly and safely.

#7 ·
I am not going to be much help either. I have visited all the boarding kennels in my area and would not leave my dogs there. I used a home boarder once, registered, never again. If I need to go abroad, they stay at home with my OH. It is not paranoia, it is a choice we have made deliberately. I have used day boarding with a behaviourist I know well though as he is even more mindful of my dogs' safety and well-being than I am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.