Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How to be nice!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Labs, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Labs

Labs PetForums Newbie

Right, so I am new here and have strong ethics when it comes to breeding but I do not want to upset anyone. Lots of posters are saying to others that they are right in alot of what the say but its the way they are saying that is wrong. So I will give you a sceniario and would like people to tell me in the nicest possible way why I should not do it, this (hypothetical) person is not a bad person just not educated when breeding dogs. Please this is not ment to offend anyone I'm honestly interested and just a bit of fun. so here goes:D

Hi
    I have a boxer bitch who was 13 months old this month, she has just come into season. She is so beautiful that I want another one like her and have decided to have a litter from her. There is a chap down the road who has a male and I was thinking of using him, both dogs are registered with the DLRC and have excellent temperments. I think having puppies will be so much fun and the kids wil love it.

2. claire

claire Guest

firstly why not say, have you considered leaving it a little long as your bitch is still a puppy herself really and a more mature bitch makes a better mum and also for health reasons:)

3. garryd

garryd Guest

My limited humble opinion is that at 13 months she still a bit young ! But only you as her owner can only decide ! Lots of people breed for different reasons , Who am i to tell you whats right or wrong for YOUR dog ! I don't think anyone deserves to be judged whom loves and cares for their dog and breeds there dog just maybe once or twice in a life time ! Now if they was breeding a bitch twice a year thats a hole different story in my book !:mad: i mean thats bad :mad:

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome along to the foum :)
    Here is my opinion of your situation - Your boxer girl is only 13 months old and is still very much a baby herself - I would wait until she is over 2 years of age before re thinking your situation.
    The DLRC ( OH no how do I put this politely??? LOL ) <<<Wouldnt be on the post I made if this were real LOL
    Hmmm ok would not have a clue about explaining the Dog lovers club thing without offending the original poster....
    Being registered with the DLRC doesnt always mean that your dog is of breed standard or that his/hers pedigree is 100% correct. You would be better off buying a KC registered boxer girl and then looking into breeding by contacting breeders and breed clubs and also reading up as much as you can of your chosen breed and also the whole breeding process.
    If you want another dog like your boxer girl, why not contact a reputable breeder and buy another pup???
    Also before breeding any dog it is advisable to have them health screened, you can look into this if you contact a boxer club too....
    Having pups b'cos you think it would be fun or the kids would love it isnt really a good enough reason to go into breeding her, I understand that you would like to have a pup for yourself but what about the other pups? Have you got homes set up for them?
    Could you take any of them back if you needed to? Can you afford to breed from your girl in the correct way? Can you devote weeks and weeks of your time to care for mum and babies, these are just some of the questions you need to ask your self before breeding from your girl...

Oh I give up.....LOL....its hard to explain the reasons to people who just want to have a litter out of Flossy cos shes lovely .....and dont understand the bigger picture of breeding healthy, tested, breed standard dogs......
    Come on - who can explain the whole situation to this person without upsetting anyone?????
    Good post - lets see what comes of it LOL

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I'm pretty much the same as you,

My answer would be,

Having pups is not fun,it's alot of hardwork,very tiring and at times downright heartbreaking when you lose pups or get whelping complications.It is extremely messy and personally I would not want my kids to see it.

I was in a situation beyond my control with my bitch,she started whelping at midnight,the first pup got stuck,we needed to help her deliver,it was a breach pup,in her distress she bit off two toes,the next two were fine,the fourth again was breach again help was needed,the fifth was still born,the last one was completely stuck by it's shoulders in the birth canal,requiring vet help which cost an awful lot of money and another dead pup.

The only way of getting another like her is to clone her,the dlrc means very little in terms of registration,you can actually make up pedigrees and they will register any dog.Alot of people will only buy KC Reg pups,because they can compete in events,have a full history with there dogs and health testing will be documented on the registration certificate.

I ask all would be breeders the following,differnt breed but same princpal,
    Is your bitch Kennel Club registered, if not it is not really advisable to breed from her, having registration at least ensures that you have a recorded history of her parentage. Without any papers it is not possible to ensure that her ancestors were pure bred Staffords. Any KC registered dog should not be mated to an unregistered bitch.

Is your bitch healthy enough to be bred from. How old is she, is she clear from hereditary defects? Please read the (Health Issues Page) Have you had her checked by the vet to see if she is suitable to breed from, or will she need a Caesarian? The Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Council is totally in support of the guidelines as laid down by the Kennels club on age and frequency criteria for registering litter from a bitch. In addition the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Council do not recommend breeding from any bitch before she is 18 months old or on her 3rd season.

You are advised to have any your bitch eye tested to see she is free from PHPV/HC/PPSC. All bitches should have an up to date eye test. DNA testing to identify carriers of the HC gene is now available and is strongly recommended if you are going to breed from your bitch Please read the (Health Issues Page)

Do you understand the risks involved. If everything goes well then no problems. However, you could loose some if not all of the puppies, although thankfully this does not happen very often, or you could loose your bitch. If you do loose your bitch and the puppies survive, they will need to be hand reared, this involves feeding every three hours, DAY AND NIGHT.

Can you afford a litter. Lots of people think of breeding as a way of making money, this is not usually the case, and if things do go wrong you could incur a lot of expenses along the way. The stud fee for the dog, extra food for the bitch during pregnancy and lactation, weaning the puppies, their food this is all normal. What if your bitch needs a call out from the vet at 2am, or a Caesarian in the middle of the night, this can be very costly.

Are you aware of the work involved, lots of lovely puppies making lots of mess as they get older, all very time consuming to keep them clean and preparing 4 to 5 meals a day, watching over them when they are fed, is every puppy getting enough to eat. Weaning them from Mum at the right time.

Finding suitable homes can be a nightmare, all calls needs to be carefully vetted as they are people out there to whom you wouldn&#8217;t want to sell your puppies too. This can be very time consuming. Every one needs to be carefully vetted, is someone at home most if not all of the day, do the children seem frightened of the dogs, is this a commitment the whole family want to make. If you have any doubts about your prospective homes them don&#8217;t sell to these people, it is worth hanging one to a puppy until the right family come along.

Are you prepared to take any puppies back that you have bred and re home them if necessary.

I don't or hope I'm not coming over aggressively or forceful but breeding is not all it's cracked up to be and you need to be aware of the risks and complications that could occur.

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum, we love having new people on here, who ask questions. You are obviously over the moon with your beautiful pup, dogs are a real pleasure to have around.
    Boxers are beautiful dogs, but not the fastest to mature, as I'm sure you've already noticed. At 13 month she is still a pup, both mentally and physically, and although she is old enough to get pregnant and give birth, it is probably not that good for her at this moment in time. As she is still growing the pups will take the nourishment she needs herself to reach maturity.
    You should be thinking in terms of another year, you could use this time to do some investigations to ensure you are doing the best for your girl. I am not familiar enough with the breed to advise you on any health tests that need to be done on your pup and the dog you would like to use as stud. There is lots of information on the kennel club website, you may have to travel to get some of the test done, but well worth it to ensure a healthy litter.
    You could also speak to other boxer breeders to ensure there is a demand for the breed, pups can be fun, but are hard work if you still have them at six months.
    You say in your post you have children, you must be a very busy lady, a litter of pups can be time consuming, so you also need to think about if it is right for you. They can also wreck your house, a friend of mine bred a litter of labs, one of which we had for 14 years, he was a wonderful dog, but I think the breeder is still getting over the experience, she never had another litter, she decided buying one was easier.
    Hope this helps, I'm sure you will get lots of other nice replies.

7. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Dont think anyone could have put that in a better way.
    This is a perfect example of how to reach someone. :):)
    If I was the recipient I would be very interested and grateful for that comment. :)

8. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Agreed - Jenny has put it very politely...
    But what about the DLRC??? You need to explain that to the person too - even the offspring of this girl would not be KC reg'd.
    And anyone with a suitable stud wouldnt let the stud mate with a DLRC bitch...basically you could register anything as anything, the boxer may not actaully be a pure bred, Dog lovers club dont ask for proof of parentage and I have heard of dead dogs sireing litters etc....how do you explain all this to someone without coming across as snotty...and that only KC reg is proof of parentage well 99% of the time LOL
    I also think that most boxer breeders would advise not to breed at all from this bitch.....its going to be hard hitting at some stage....

9. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

sorry for the ignorance but what is the dlrc

10. Jenny Olley

Okay then, I didn't actually know what the DLRC was but here goes.

I forgot to ask you in my first post, both dogs are registered with the DLRC, I'm not familiar with this organisation, could you tell me about it, I'm always keen to learn new things. A lot of puppy buyers may be looking for a pup that is kennel club registered, is your girly ?, you would have been given her registration papers when you bought her, you would then have to have transfered her into your name. Unfortunately if both parents are not registered you would not be able to register the litter. There are lots of super dogs out there who are not KC registered, I have owned and do own quite a few myself, but lots of peope would only consider buying a pup with this registration. Something else to think about, your head must be buzzing.

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

dog lovers registration club I think it stands for.
    Dog Lovers Registration Club UK

12. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Thankyou Sally for posting the link :)

13. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Jenny - well put - you should jump in on any threads where people are asking these sorts of things......maybe the softly softly approach will make a difference....who knows - but its worth a try....:) :) Are you a social worker or a nursery school teacher? your gentle approach has to come from somewhere LOL :)
    Should we name Jenny as the head of breeding threads LOL

14. Jenny Olley

I'm a dog trainer, well thats the title, but in reality I train people to train their dogs. I find once a person feels alienated, you have lost them, they will no longer listen to anything you say. Once they trust and respect your opinion, they are open to learning and in the long run the dog gets a better deal. So I get a new client, i alienate them, they leave, never to return, out of control dog goes to rescue or pts. Get them onside, they learn to control the dog, understand what they've done wrong, the dog stays with them, becomes a good member of society, as do their subsequent dogs. We have the same goal, less dogs in rescue, less dogs pts.

15. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Fantastic job you have there then - :) And you are getting paid for doing it too...woohooo.....bonus..... :)

16. Jenny Olley

It has its bonuses, I work outside, so on a day like today also its pitfalls. Luckily I was only working ths morning, before the snow started, but full day tomorrow, so I'm hoping for better weather.

17. carol

carol PetForums VIP

thats a good answer jenny

18. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

Yeah I'd say something like jenny's reply just less well informed, I'm not the smartest pea in the pod :p

19. claire

claire Guest

this is nice and just how it should be said!

20. Magik

Magik Banned

I have a pitbull x rotty that I will stud you for free... we could make bullboxerpitts... they would be boss dogs like... give me a shout!!

other breeders... I invented this breed first - dont go copying me!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice