Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How "thrifty" are you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Amethyst, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I was watching the tv last night and saw the programme about saving money/being thrifty.

SuperScrimpers: Waste Not Want Not - Presenters - Merryn and Mrs Moneypenny - Channel 4

Now I know times are hard for many, but seriously, some of the tips were a bit much ... Do people really live such frugal lives :confused:

I do like to use more natural cleaners, mind you, so shall try the white vinegar and sodium bicarb idea for cleaning sinks/drain :)

2. I didn't see the programme, but if OH had known it were on I guess I would have been forced to watch it!

3. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Shame, you could have learnt that one way to use up boiled potatoes is to fry them :rolleyes:

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I'm useless at saving. If I could I would blow all my money on the cats but OH grumbles so I blow it on sweets and juice instead :confused: We have cupboards full of stuff that we can't be bothered cooking (instant noodles and pasta packs) but we get hungry and go buy something we can just dump in the oven or get a takeout! :eek: We do waste our money away in very silly ways.

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Actually this can be quite tasty :p If you mean shallow fry in a pan. If you add branstons tomato sauce you can ketchup fry it and it's nice.

6. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I didn't see the programme but I suppose I would class myself as somewhere in the middle.

For example I HATE food waste. If we have leftovers I always try and rustle something up from it, my house is abit like ready steady cook sometimes! (but I think this stems from the time OH and I were students/newly qualified and had hardly any money).

I use vinegar etc to clean the sinks occasionally but that's more because it's great for limescale which we get alot of here, rather than saving on cleaning products.

We try to go to free places too, like museums because who wants to pay when you can get it for free!

7. Nithnell

Nithnell PetForums Senior

I'm not too bad actually, though i am quite easily swayed by clothes and pet things, but I have an allowance off OH so i try my best to keep within it and actually put some away. I can't spend for the sake of it. I tend to grumble if it costs more than about £10. I'm not paying that!!!

I like things, but not having to spend the pennies getting them :(

8. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I would say I am somewhere in-between too :)

Making soup now from chicken bones, mind you chicken cost £9 something as organic, so have to make the most of it :rolleyes:

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

If I see something special I want I will buy it if I have the cash...but I'm always on the lookout for the cheapest...oxo £1 for 24...so I bought 5..Tarantella tomatoes 4 for £1 so I got a dozen.Lasts me for ages but sensible buying.
    Nothing is wasted..what I don't eat goes to the dogs or my birds.And I get a carrier of bruised fruit and veg off the market for £1.

The last thing I threw out was some milk that had gone off...but I got it cheap because it was close dated anyway..:D

Being an old git I don't worry about appearance...so clothes last until I really need new.

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ime a terrible waster, so maybe it would have done me good to have seen that programme.:rolleyes:

11. NEVER! you are joking me! :eek::eek:

12. I've been shallow frying em for years! but t'is very expensive because it is jerseys royals that I love fried in butter!

And at the moment I am paying £3.99 per Kilo for em! and OH is flipping his lid!

13. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Nope that was one of the tips, h*ll, I was practically brought up on fried potatoes :rolleyes:
    Or ... they said you could add mayonnaise and chives to make potato salad :rolleyes:

It's soooooooooo bad, it's almost entertaining :D

14. metame

metame PetForums VIP

we've always done that! and leftovers from sunday lunch always got made into bubble and squeak...

im not exactly thrifty... i just hate shopping!
    so i tend not to spend anyway :eek:

but i really really really need new shoes :blushing:
    and clothes suitable for the weather :rolleyes:

15. now that really does stretch the imagination!

16. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I love 'em, too. I buy them for myself because the Daughter doesn't like spuds unless they are chips or roasted, and the Husband only has 7 tastebuds, so it makes no difference to him what sort I feed him

Yes - they're very dear, but it's my only pleasure (almost . . . )

17. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I occasionally used to watch "How clean is your house", with the Man-Woman and the Scottish Looney.

It used to crack me up when they said suff like "and an economical mix of lard, sow's urine, garden compost, and coca cola will clean fly-spots off your light bulbs". I used to think - "Yeah - and so will fairy liquid".

Some economies are too much work to make them worthwhile.

(I may have mentioned my opinions of this show before - if so, sorry to bore you )

#17 lostbear, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

wow, zombie thread!!!:D

I hate that show...they are always telling people who waste ridiculous amounts of money how to save (erm, stop spending so much on crap..you loon!).
    Then there are the lovely but misguided people who tell you how to make your own clothes, jewelery and hair accessories from the contents of what must be their bursting at the seams craft rooms. Not that anybody wants some tatty ring that looks like it came out of a xmas cracker!:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice