UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought a crate for my 11 week old puppy but he won't sleep in it during the day and i discovered last night after a bit of spying, that he never actually sleeps in it a night either :( I guess it's my fault as i have never shut the door (didn't want to) so he's been freedom to do as he wanted :rolleyes:

I never used one before, only ever bought a lovely basket and away we go :)......

anyway i took him a walk this morning and then placed him in it with a treat, closed the door and left the room to go and do some chores. He barked on and off for about 10 mins and then went quiet.....i got on with a few things before returning to him after an hour...let him out and gave him lots of praise :D

Im going to have to do this from now on i think....tonight may be a little fraught :( and i will have to set my alarm to come down during the night for a couple of comfort breaks:eek: Lol.....

I've never found puppyhood so difficult before but hey..........(don't suppose it helps that im menopausal either Pml)

·
Registered
10,957 Posts

I bought a crate for my 11 week old puppy but he won't sleep in it during the day and i discovered last night after a bit of spying, that he never actually sleeps in it a night either :( I guess it's my fault as i have never shut the door (didn't want to) so he's been freedom to do as he wanted :rolleyes:

I never used one before, only ever bought a lovely basket and away we go :)......

anyway i took him a walk this morning and then placed him in it with a treat, closed the door and left the room to go and do some chores. He barked on and off for about 10 mins and then went quiet.....i got on with a few things before returning to him after an hour...let him out and gave him lots of praise :D

Im going to have to do this from now on i think....tonight may be a little fraught :( and i will have to set my alarm to come down during the night for a couple of comfort breaks:eek: Lol.....

I've never found puppyhood so difficult before but hey..........(don't suppose it helps that im menopausal either Pml)
If she's not making a fuss at night i wouln't bother locking her in.

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
I think I was cruel, atleast bear must think so :laugh:

Bear used to cry and cry, I found my mp3 player came in useful and I never once fussed over him or molly coddled him but then I done that when introducing him to other dogs, I basiclly told him to deal with it as i'm not helping him if he's not in any danger :p

He's 6 months now, sleeps in his crate lovley not a complaint unless he really needs to go to the toilet and then I get up and let him out. He also respects other dogs and plays too :thumbsup:

Puppies are hard work but so worth it :D

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If she's not making a fuss at night i wouln't bother locking her in.
It's a little more about the times he'll need to be shut in eg...travelling in the car, staying over at someone else's house.

We're off on holiday in a few weeks, we're renting a rather lovely place and i wouldn't be happy about him being able to cause disruption in other people's property (not that he's disruptive) but if we go out for an evening and leave him behind, i need to know he will be safe and unable to chew things etc

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
It's a little more about the times he'll need to be shut in eg...travelling in the car, staying over at someone else's house.

We're off on holiday in a few weeks, we're renting a rather lovely place and i wouldn't be happy about him being able to cause disruption in other people's property (not that he's disruptive) but if we go out for an evening and leave him behind, i need to know he will be safe and unable to chew things etc
oh yeah forgot you were going away:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.