Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How subtle (or not) is your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogless, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

After Kilo 'hinting' in his usual manner that it was time to get up.....a huge, very loud, exaggerated (rraaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr) of a yawn, followed by a noisy musical stretch (mmmmmmmmm) I was wondering what subtle ways your dogs have of telling you what they want. The morning yawn is very loud as Kilo sleeps downstairs, so knows it needs to be a good one!!

He is not the master of subtle and has so many ways of telling me what he is after, including:

Food: staring solidly at me, then sitting in the kitchen, then the dining room so he can stare some more but alternate staring at me with the kitchen, then coming back into the lounge and sitting in the floor, staring all the time. This can start at any time up to a couple of hours before a meal time :rolleyes:.

More space on the sofa - a huge stretch with paws strategically digging into my rib cage as hard as possible.

Toilet - a whine if he is on the sofa and doesn't really want to move, followed by going to the door. Any other time, going to the door and scratching or moving between me and the door repeatedly.

Play - lots of play bows and a toy brought to me.

Fuss - a head shoved into my legs or, if he is on the floor or sofa, a little whistle, thumping tail and a roll over with his chest stuck out for a scratch.

He is a very vocal dog in terms of 'talking' and is very capable of letting you know his opinion of most things; work colleagues used to call him 'chewbacca' for the range of noises that used to come from under my desk!

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Zipper doesn't do subtle :rolleyes:

Dinner time it's all out barking until I get his food

Going out to the garden he starts off a bit subtle, he lies by the door, if no one notices he huffs and puffs, then sratches and finally barks - but he's not very patient he does all this in about 2 minutes.

Fuss Then he pushes his head under your hand repeatedly so you are in effect stroking him :dita:

Play Gets his ball wags his tail and makes a growly noise.

Lilly rarely asks for anything, but if she does she growls and wags her tail at the same time sat in the middle of the room so I have to guess what it is she wants. :rolleyes:

3. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

All of the above it exactly what Enzo does !!! He yawns in the evening it's quite, but in the mornings it's very loud especially if we have got rid of the kids for the night and having a rare lie-in :rolleyes:

4. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hehe if I'm on my laptop in bed, Rupert will come and set next to me. He'll wait about 5 seconds, and then he'll put his head on my shoulder. He'll wait another 5 seconds, then start blowing air in my ear. Still no response from me and he puts his giant paw on the keyboard :) If I ignore THAT, he lets out his 'I mean business' bark. He's such a brat! :biggrin5:

5. Indi's mum

Indi's mum PetForums Senior

Indi's about as subtle as a sledge hammer :rolleyes: when he thinks we've been in bed long enough on a morning he'll turn the light on (its a touch lamp he turns on with his nose).
    I try and let him out before he needs to go out but if we're a bit late he does a toilet dance then it's time to go out.

Now play time is another matter. :eek: you will get a toy either in your cuppa in your hand or if you ignore him it will get moved closer to your face.
    Many a time I've fallen asleep on my sofa and woke up surrounded by toys:001_unsure: that'll teach me to noddy off. :Yawn:

6. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Nikita is about as subtle as a flying brick!

Time to get up : starts with barking and attempts at an amusing husky type howl followed by jumping on my head and chewing my hair and ears

Food : she stands in front of us barking and ranting if we're eating, or if its time for her food she scrabbles about in her bowl...as if trying to dig down into it might produce food.

Toilet : run to the door and if its open thats great....if not then i'll pee next to it on the tiles (that'll be close enough)

Play : jump up and start chewing my limbs, if that is ignored we move onto barking right in my face

Fuss : this doesn't really exist in Nikita World, if she's tired she likes her tummy rubbing but generally any fussing turns into the above play mode after about 30 seconds

I'll let her off with all of the above though due to her age and the fact that she is in training! :D

7. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Jack doesn't know the word subtle.. He "sings" in the morning to get me up.. Not a bark nor a whine definatly singing. He whacks his cupboard when he wants food ect, Kicks his bowl for water, He knows when I go fo a brew in the morning he's close to his walk and will sit and stare at me statue like if Im not quick enough he'll paw at me and I he wants to lie on my knee under the cover he'll stand over my shoulder or dig at the cover...

Infact reading that I'm pretty well trained :eek:

8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Louie's "I want toilet" in the morning is usually as soon as our eyes open "thump, thump thump" on the bed..
    During the day he scratches the door.

Dinner time - he lays next to his pantry (yes his)

for Bedtime - he will paw at my leg or wander upstairs ever so slowly looking at me every step of the way.

9. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

Jasper stares at me when he wants his walk after I have finished my supper in the evenings. He stares at me when he wants his food. He stares at me when he would like a treat (like his apple he has daily). He stares at me when he wants to go outside for a wee (and sometimes if he is desperate we get a little foot shuffle with that stare :D ):D

As for Skye she stares at me when she wants to go out to the loo .....

can you see a pattern here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

however Skye does also bounce a lot when she wants to play, she rattles her dishes with her nose if she wants food or I haven't noticed the water bowl is empty ..... and she also opens the bin lid that has her food in it....... but this wont be for too much long when we switch to RAW :) :ihih:

10. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

A little freaky but this sounds exactly like Bailey.

Tia just cries and whinges....if that fails then its paws up in the face :rolleyes:

11. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Branston - very much the same as Kilo! He's a very vocal dog too and his morning yawn never fails to make me laugh, it starts off as a yawn and then it sort of turns into a really long scooby doo stylee AAARROOOOOOOOWW!! He never makes this sound at any othe time of the day when he yawns.

Wanting food involves running frantically from me to the untility room door and back again over and over again until I follow him there and get their food.
    Lily isn't as greedy/starving as Branston so she doesn't ask for her food (either that or she just lets Branston do all the hard work!)

Lily is very unsubtle also and whenever she wants anything (but usually just some attention) She launches herself on top of you at great speed, whether you are standing, sitting or lying!!

Needing a pee (and needing to come back in again) for both of them involves continually ramming their heads through the cat flap - in and out in and out until somebody responds!! Just waiting for the day one of them goes too far and gets their head stuck :rolleyes:

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Not stuck, but a friend's dog used to do that and backed away from the door once, complete with cat flap now not attached to the door but round his head :rolleyes: :D.

13. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Subtle?
    What's that? :lol:

14. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Solo sleeps in my parents bedroom - waking up means jumping on the bed, usually throwing a sock about, and then then washing faces and sticking his tongue up noses and into ears, even nibbling at my stepdads beard.

Fuss is easy because my family are all pushovers - jump on your lap, stick his head in your face and wiggle.

If we stop to talk to anyone, or if anyone comes over in the pub and they don't pay him attention quickly enough he "woo woos" at them until they talk to him. (He announces his entrance this way at the pub every time he goes - thinks he's Elvis! Fair enough tho - there is always a chorus of "evening Solo" in response)

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Love the sound of him having his own pub fan base :D.

16. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Dex has a house bark- which is handy as it is MUCH quieter than his usual noise, and is usually just a single bark- unless of course you dont give him what he wants fast enough.

So bout 8am- Woof (get up and feed my/let me out)
    Wee wee's - single bark by the back door
    I have dropped my ball/chew toy in a place where I cannot get it- also single bark
    feed me = sitting by the kitchen and categorically not moving until something appears in his bowl

17. Zoojie

Zoojie PetForums Member

It's time to get up mum you've slept in too long (LIES! SLANDER!) - Whining and licking my eyes, and huffing.
    Feed me - whining
    Need to go out - sitting by door/whining if I can't see him
    Playtime - Dropped toy on my lap, play bowing, huffing.
    I don't like that noise you're making - Huffing, shoving face into mine
    There's something in my spot and I want to sit on the sofa - MUST NOT BLINK AND LOOK AT SPOT ON SOFA UNTIL THINGS MAGICALLY MOVE THEMSELVES OUT OF MY WAY.

18. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

waking me up usually involves a lick on the face

Wanting to go out means pawing me until I respond

Want to play ( when I'm trying to sleep) means dropping her toys one by one in front of my face. Wanting to play daytime, means dropping a toy at my foot and whining until I respond

want to go out for walkies - sitting there and staring at me until I take her out

19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

In general, Milly will only whine if she needs the toilet. But she doesn't exactly make it crystal clear. She'll whine, then give me those big puppy dog eyes, the when I go down the stairs, she stands and watches me but doesn't come down with me. Just when I assume it's something else, come back upstairs and sit back down, THEN, and ONLY then, will she race down the stairs. :rolleyes: :sneaky2:

Max will whine at his toy box if he wants a particular toy (and of course, it just HAS to be the one right at the bottom of said toy box, so all the other ones have to come out first) :rolleyes: :sosp:

20. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Bramble STARES at you when it's bed time (we have to go to bed when he says :eek: ) if we ignore him he grumbles and whines, and paces the room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice