Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How soon can you castrate?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Broxdown, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Broxdown

Broxdown PetForums Junior

Neighbour has a young labrador, approx 7 months old. Both of his 'bits' are down, how soon can he be neutered?

2. Broxdown

Broxdown PetForums Junior

Can anyone help on this one?

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

The vet would probably be happy to do it now. If it were my dog I would wait until the dog is fully grown and his character fully formed.

4. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Here is an article on the long term effects of neutering.

On balance for male dogs there are fewer positives than negatives on the health front.
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

So unless you have entire bitches in your home or family, a lot of loose bitches roaming your area, or your dog is getting into fights with other males, there is no good reason to castrate at all.

If you are going to do it I would say wait until all the bones are grown, which is usually about 14 months for the stifle and upperarm which are the last to grow to their proper length, the sex hormones do affect growth, especially bone density, chest width and length of long bones.

If the reason for considering castration are the adolescents discovery of his sex, and behaving in an embarrassing sexy fashion, what needs to be membered that an adolescent canine has five times the testosterone levels of a mature dog, this is in order to develop the male sexual characteristics, and the levels drop off after puberty and it's effects will calm down. When a dog of this age is castrated it will also take up to 6 months for the desired loss of over sexed behaviour, so you may as well wait for the natural drop.

The best option for unwanted behaviour is training.

5. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Not only do the long bones keep growing if castrated before puberty, but in large and giant breeds the lack of chest development and the lesser bone density can cause problems.

I think the traditional age of 6 months has evolved as it is often before male behaviours like leg cocking are established, and this has been for human convenience rather than for any benefit to the dog.

6. Tina

Tina Guest

If both have dropped then now

7. DalmatianHQ

DalmatianHQ PetForums Newbie

You could of had him done when he was 12+weeks vets say 6months because of the anasphetic(spelling?)

8. dad 2 a welshie

dad 2 a welshie PetForums Junior

My vet recomended around 12 months to get some testosterone flowing and then do him, He had to be done as neither testicles dropped. But i think it would vary from vet to vet to be quite honest.
    I would go with whatever the vet recomends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice