UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys

People say that small pieces of bone could cause choking. But to introduce bones to my kitten I can't present it whole. So I wonder what is the minimum size of bone that could be given to a kitten without causing choking? So far I've been giving my kitten coin sized cut bones. I guess it's safe?

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
For dogs you're not meant to give them pieces of meat smaller than their heads not sure if it's the same with cats but make sure they're fairly big to prevent choking

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, chicken or rabbit ribs are good to start off with. If you get a breast with bone still attatched, then cut off a chunk with one or two ribs in it, your kitten should be able to munch through quite happily :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a question similar to this, actually!

Just started introducing Locke to raw chicken wings. I've been feeding him just the wing tip to start with to get him used to crunching bones. Now, he will crunch happily away through about half - but then swallow the rest! My OH is worried that swallowing bone whole like that will hurt Locke's insides =/ Is letting him swallow half the bone safe or should I feed the whole chicken wing from now on?

EDIT: billyboysmammy has pretty much answered my question ( I didn't see it until now! Ooops!). Shall bash up whole wings next time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.