Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How safe is it to pay a deposit for a puppy online?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by James Smith 1976, Mar 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Smith 1976

What information about the breeder should I know before placing a deposit? Wouldn’t a breeder find it a bit intrusive to ask him his name, address, etc?

Is there any difference between seeing the mother and the litter on Zoom and seeing the mother and the litter in real life?

How soon is it normal for a breeder to ask for a deposit? I’ve seen on the Champdogs website litters that are already spoken for before the puppies have even been born!

Scammers have been exploiting the pandemic so how can someone be sure that he is not being scammed and the breeder is genuine?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Definitely not intrusive - if anyone was reluctant to share these details I'd run a mile. You really should have a good and trusting relationship with your breeder, starting long before the puppies are born.

I'd say yes, there is a difference. A Zoom call could easily disguise a dog being passed off as the mother by not showing signs of recent birth such as swollen teats etc, while the real mother could be in a filthy cage in a barn. This is a dog that escaped from a puppy farm last year (thumbnail as the photo is quite distressing). The puppy buyers won't have seen her, they will have seen a cute fake mum in a nice house with 2.4 children - all a big facade.

FB_IMG_1598361783198.jpg

Please, please read this thread.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/could-you-spot-a-puppy-farm.517808/

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

To be honest unless you can see the the mother and puppies all together in there home not on zoom or any online pictures, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Agree: we have seen so many really heartbreaking threads - pups and kittens - you need to proceed with caution (if at all).

DaisyBluebell, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you heard from the breeder yet?

neverforgotten2020 and JoanneF like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The golden rule when buying a puppy is visit the breeder and see mum and pups together.

Covid has, of course, made this difficult.... impossible, if adhering to the rules.

Truly ethical breeders won’t be breeding at the moment, in my opinion.

Scammers and back yard breeders on the other hand won’t care about rules, just making money so they can use Covid restrictions to their advantage and dupe prospective purchasers much easier.

I’d wait until I could legally travel to visit and see the full set up first hand.

Except I wouldn’t buy a puppy anyway ... I’d visit my local rescue ;)

Sairy, Sarah H, Happy Paws2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

I paid a deposit online, but decided that as it was only £50 it wouldn't be tooooo terrible if we had been scammed and the puppies didn't exist/I changed my mind after meeting the breeder and viewing the puppies.

I personally would never have bought a puppy that I couldn't meet before taking home, or meet the breeder, see the place they were being brought up in, meet the puppies parents.

#7 Emlar, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

What breed are you looking for? The best thing to do is contact a few breeders whose dogs you like, give them information about yourself and what you can offer and ask to be put on their waiting list.

LinznMilly and JoanneF like this.
  9. James Smith 1976

I’m after a Labrador puppy. I’m on a reserved list at the moment and I’m still waiting to hear back from the guy.

Let’s just say I don’t hear back from that guy, I still want to buy a Labrador puppy and the Covid restrictions make things a bit more difficult, although it’s still legal in England to go and pick up a puppy.

You can view things live on Zoom, WhatsApp, Skype, etc. As long as I can see the mother with the puppies, what other concerns should I look out for exactly?

How do I ask a guy for his name, address, etc? Is it really just as simple as asking, “What is your full name?”, “What is your address?”, and so forth. How am I even able to verify those details anyway?

I know that it’s normal to pay a deposit and is pretty much standard if you want to be guaranteed a puppy from a litter. So, how can I do this safely without being scammed £300 or some other amount of money?

I don’t want to start ringing up lots and lots of breeders because I want to be committed to buying from one breeder.

10. James Smith 1976

On several different apps which allow you to live stream you can see the location, etc.

11. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Junior

I think that for the importance of having a healthy family addition, it has to be worth waiting until the COVID restrictions lessen. All fingers and toes crossed, we may be approaching a dim light in the tunnel. I have been placed on a waiting list for a British Shorthair kitten when the breeder starts to breed again after things are safer. I know of the breeder and have been able to check up on previous kittens etc. You may also find some young labradors in rescue centres as people start to go back to work etc.

12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

When you are about to give someone a lot of money in exchange for a living animal, that you expect to be healthy, you have every right to know who you are dealing with not to mention a whole lot more. Read the thread already suggested. If you are afraid of this "breeder" you should not be doing business with him.

Find a responsible ethical breeder, who is upfront about all you need to know, who will expect you to be upfront also, who will not sell to just anyone, and who will welcome any question you may have..

13. James Smith 1976

How can i check if his name is correct and where he lives is correct?

14. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Junior

There are even more important things to check before worrying about name and address being correct. You need to be aware of the signs of puppy farms and of the health tests that are required for your dog and to check that these have been done.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Please read the below post again, and read the thread linked in it. If you buy from an ethical responsible breeder through proper channels you won't have to worry about all this. The breeder will be proud to tell you who they are and where they are located so you can come and visit the pups and mother dog

Lurcherlad, Sairy and JoanneF like this.
  16. Happy Paws2

That's OK if you can really believe what they are showing you. It doesn't mean it's the mother and litter you are getting your puppy from.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. James Smith 1976

How is it any different to visiting someone's house? There have been cases of people pretending to live somewhere else or selling other people's puppies at their home.

Would seeing a litter with their mother live be sufficient for most people during this difficult time we are all going through at the moment?

18. James Smith 1976

Is it possible to check the health tests of the mother and father of the puppies online?

I can't imagine someone giving out his name to strangers on the phone. People can do things with personal information.

Is there actually a way to verify someone's name, house address, etc. Basically, I want to verify his I.D. so I know that I'll be sending the deposit to the right guy.

Most people are wary to give out their personal details to strangers on the phone. How can I ask the guy to verify his I.D. without coming across like an idiot? I know that the right way is to go through the proper channels but for example a litter being KC registered doesn't necessarily provide me with any evidence of the health of the puppies, right?

If a litter is KC registered does that mean the guy's details will be with the Kennel Club? Is that one way to verify his I.D.?

19. James Smith 1976

It's more difficult now because of the restrictions, so is there a way to verify someone's I.D. via the Kennel Club or some other way?

20. Happy Paws2

To be honest I would like to go and see the puppies a few time before picking him/her up, we went to see Amber and Dillon a few times before bring them home, as things are now I wouldn't have one.

Only a few breeders of my favorite breed have puppies most aren't breeding at the moment.

Lurcherlad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice