Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How quick to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jun 2, 2010.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave was 25.55kg last tues the vet said he should be 25 max.

Now obv its better to have them leaner to make sure theres no extra stress on joints stc.

So I cut Dave's food back a bit and made sure he was getting plenty of exercise.

Today he is 24.44kg is that an ok rate to lose it at?

I want him to lose just a little bit more maybe down to 24 the vet said that will do him nicely.

Now I just got to get the balance right of his food and exercise so he stays about the same once he loses the other half kg.

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Honestly, my vets can never get a very accurate weight of Roo. He doesn't like sitting still, often its done at different times when he's eaten but not been toilet/vice versa etc and he seems like he fluctuates a lot.

At the vets few weeks ago and was about 32kg, 2 weeks later down to 30kg but I don't believe he weighed 32kg then anyway..! I actually get a tape measure around him now as well as scales to know which way it has gone and how far off it seems. I wouldn't worry to be honest unless you see a big drop in the coming days and weeks etc.

I'd be a bit cautious of sticking to numbers to its more what they look like. Dave is a cross isn't he so maybe he's a big lab x with a big staffie etc you can't give a definite very easily unless its a he should be between 23-27ish then its a bit clearer.

Currently Roo is 30kgs but I would be happy with him anywhere between 30-32kgs, its only the range of 65-70lbs and I expect him to fluctuate between 30-32 for most of his life just because its hard to keep him bang on I find :)

I'd say don't worry too much about numbers and go by what he looks like, then note down how much he weighs so you know what his fighting weight is :thumbup:

3. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

I agree with Tinsley. Very good advice :thumbup:

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

He was starting to look a bit podgy round the waist! :ekk:

But I have to say he does look much better now. Even just losing that 1kg, his not quite so podgy looking Lol!

He's fantastic on the scales just sits and waits for his treat, very very still like he's waiting to pounce, which he does when I chuck the treat towards him afterwards! Lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice