Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How old was your dog when they stopped mouthing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alice Childress, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I mean stopped completely, 100%.

Day to day, during play, Maggie does not mouth at all. However, if she's completely gone over her threshold and is manically hyper, she occasionally still will mouth (not hard, but still using her mouth). She's 7 months on Wednesday, and Bernese are known to be a mouthy breed, but just wanted to check if this sounds normal.

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Spencer will still do it in certain situations and he's 2. His is only if he gets way over threshold now, he doesn't go around mouthing normally. If he's excited and can't find something to bring you he'll jump at you and grab you. Occasionally get it with a nose target too if he's over excited. Labs are apparently a mouthy breed too.

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Pen still mouths and this week cos she's been cooped up she's started using more force. However a simple "ow!" stops everything. I don't mind her being mouthy with me and she only does it normally (apart from this week) when I give her the word for it (something that cannot be guess easily by my nieces - especially them).

And she's only really mouthy with me tbh. She's 18 months.

I can't remember when all the rest stopped. Don't think Sadie ever mouthed, not sure about Jack, Benjie either. Louie stopped around 3-4 months.

4. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Yup. Bess still does it at 19 months. She only mouths though - if she does it too hard I yelp (which would have wound her up when a pup). Now she jumps back concerned she's hurt me.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Tau has always been mouthy, she recently turned 7 and is still mouthy!!

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

:lol::lol:

Alfie is nearly 12 and still gets a little hyper sometimes when playing and forgets himself :D

Especially when he's fighting the OH ;)

7. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Toppa the JRT is 12 months and still mouths, pretty much all the time but it never leaves a mark or hurts. I dont let him mouth me and I give him a firm NO when he tries which stops him...... but my Children let him mouth when playing with him, so I need to train them further :rolleyes:

I feel like there has been progress tho, as he used to bite really hard and drew blood at times, atleast he now mouths gently :D Hoping once I have trained the kids... Toppa will stop mouthing completely!

8. Huskybob

Huskybob PetForums Member

Broder might do it while playing and fussing him vigorously, though it happens very rarely now. He used to be terrible for mouthing.

The other two have never mouthed us, atleast on purpose, ever.

9. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

Rosie and I had snuggles today and her bottom k9 got stuck up my nostril! (Beautiful image I know!)

10. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My cross never really did it. My yorkie only does it when she wakes up. She sleeps on the pillow next to me and when I stroke her in the morning she licks and mouths my hand. She doesn't do it to anyone else or at any other time. As it doesn't hurt I've never bothered to stop her.

11. missylou

missylou PetForums Junior

Honey tried it as a puppy and a loud Ah No! Plus clapping my hands loudly stopped her. I think she did it a total of 3 times as a baby and that was it.

She plays roughly with us now but if our hand goes in her mouth and stops playing and sits down straight away! She's not a big chewer in the house though really either which is good :) she's 7 and a half months x

12. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Well we play fight so allow mouthing and play biting, so never.

13. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Kiva is 2 and still does if someone is play fighting BUT she never really applies any pressure and usually moves her mouth if she comes into contact with skin :)
    When she was a baby I used to allow the biting but said OW when it was hard and then said it with less pressure until she got to a point where she just waves her teeth about ha ha

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It was never really a problem with Kenzie - she did puppy nipping/mouthing up to about 12 weeks, and that was it really.

15. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Scout is 17 months and when out and frustrated will sometimes jump and nip generally when not allowed to play silly buggers

At home will still mouth at my hand a bit more just holding my hand in his mouth softly. He quite likes it if I put a finger round his front tooth and lead him about

16. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Duke is 8 years old and can still be mouthy, there is no pressure.

As a puppy he was very difficult, because as he was growing his grip was getting stronger. At 4 months I honestly thought I would never stop him, so I opted for teaching him control.

Most of the time he doesn't mouth but there are occasions when he does.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've never been mouthed by either of my dogs - though Ziggy used to mouth a man who worked down the road, and he'd play with her when we walked by.

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think it depends what you mean. Mine stopped nipping/biting quite early on but the play biters and mouthers still do so now!:D
    Some dogs just like to interact with their gobs and some dont. Adam and Hannah arent mouthy at all whereas Heidi and Alfie love a good play bite.
    Alf is the worst and mouths me quite alot but then TBH I do it to him too!:eek: I often grab his lower jaw and give it a little shake or play bite his ear and I have been known to put his muzzle in my mouth (well, if you thought you could you'd have to try it wouldnt you??:lol:). He is very face orientated though and ideally would spend his life on your shoulder with his face pressed againest yours!:rolleyes:

19. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

... so what you are saying is... she may never stop :eek: :cool: Jolly good. It's not a problem at home with me at all. If she does mouth me, which is once in a blue moon, a yelp and turning my back works immediately. It's other people that she's more likely to mouth. Especially when guests first arrive as she is beyond excited. It doesn't help that guests, and other family members, do not yelp immediately or turn their backs (instead, they just move their hand and keep giving her attention, sigh).

It also does not help that she is so big, and having a 38kg puppy jump up and try and mouth you is really not acceptable.

20. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Mine would chew my hand off like a wolf rather then mouth ^^'
    I forgave though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice