Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How old before?.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Houseofpets, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Houseofpets

Houseofpets PetForums Member

How old are Border Collie's before their eyes change from blue to the standard brown?

2. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I didn't think they changed colour, can't you get blue, green or brown eyed collies? I may be completely wrong as I know nothing!

3. Houseofpets

Houseofpets PetForums Member

Yes you can get different colour eyes but the puppies are born with blue eyes and they gradually change colour as they get older. Bit like babies do.

4. bingblazenskyla

bingblazenskyla PetForums Member

some border collies can keep their blue eyes as far as i know

5. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

My 10 month old BC still have blue/greeny eyes. He is blue and white in coat. The standard calls for ' brown in colour except in merles where one or both or part of one or both may be blue ' I have spoken to a few BC breeders that show and all have said that a blue and white will not be knocked for blue/greeny eyes (although I do not plan to show him at all!)

Someone with a blue and white did tell me their dogs didnt change until 18months I think it was.

6. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Usually you can tell when they're quite young if they are going to stay blue (they will be a piercing blue) or go brown (darker blue). My Bertie (black/white) had brown eyes when I got him at 10 weeks, Teagan (black tri) had brown eyes when I 1st saw her at 4 weeks, Skye (blue/white) had blue eyes until she was about 9 weeks, now (5 years) they are a slatey greeny brown, Star (lilac and white) had blue eyes until she was about 9 weeks old, now (1 year) they are a goldy green colour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice