Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How often?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Engel98, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Right this is purely out of curiosity not looking for advice or anything like that. How often do you clean your dog and their toys, bedding, crate (if you use one), bowls etc?

I was thinking as my last dog, a patterdale, was only washed when he'd been shaved, his bowl was only washed when it was coated thickly in gunk and bedding only when it really smelled. (Note this was down to my father being a control freak. That's as much as I'm saying.)

Since he's not been around I've adopted 3 dogs, all considered hypoallergenic breeds so I suppose they can be pretty high maintenance. This is what I do:
    Bowls washed after every meal. Water bowls cleaned and refilled everyday.
    Bedding washed once a week minimum
    Crate and surrounding area disinfected and hoovered/polished at least once a week.
    Toys cleaned in boiling water once a week too.
    Dogs showered once a month after groom with any extra as needed as well as weekly foot soaks for Beau. If Beau is having a flare up then he's showered every week. Extreme case every 4 days.

My aunt's dog gets showered every week and doesn't clean out dog bowls or bedding.

As I said, this is only out of curiosity :)

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Water bowl is washed and refilled twice daily. Food bowl - when it has been used (he doesn't generally get food from a bowl). Bedding is washed once every couple of weeks, determined mainly by when I can line dry it. Toys - I have to confess I have never washed them. I vacuum where his bed is daily, not because of the bed but because I have a rug that shows every speck of fluff and if I'm vacuuming that, it's easy to just vacuum under his bed too.

The dog gets a bath only if he is smelly or if we are going to visit particular friends who are house proud and fastidious.

Engel98 likes this.
  3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Dogs are washed as and when, they actually need a bath as they are grubby but the garden is currently a swamp with all the rain we've had so I'm waiting until it's dryer, but they get washed if they have rolled.

Food bowls washed after every use, water bowls swilled and refilled daily washed up every week, dog beds I don't wash that often as they are the cushion type but I hoover them every other day, any blankets or throws are washed weekly, but I'm quite lackadaisical when it comes to housework and stuff, oh and their toys are rarely cleaned if ever, they are mostly fluffy things or squeaky latex things that get binned when grotty.

Engel98 likes this.
  4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Just realised that I might have come across as a 'clean freak' or a bit over the top when it comes to cleaning. While I do like a clean house it sometimes seems a bit ridiculous. I often get told that people wouldn't think I had one dog let alone 3 living in the house. Generally don't know whether to take it as a compliment or not as this is the dogs home too, I don't know if I'm over thinking though, probably am. Anyways Beau has allergic skin disease and is allergic to what feels like everything under the sun. But everything that I'm doing has allowed him to be off steroids since just before Christmas which is a first in his life and he's not even 2 yet :(

(Just in case any one is thinking that I'm going a bit over the top or bathing the dog too much)

JoanneF likes this.
  5. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Water bowls rinsed every time they need filling
    Food bowls get chucked in the dishwasher every night, as I feed raw and put it on high wash, its no worse than putting anything that's had raw meat on
    Bedding, once a month, or sooner if a dogs been ill, that goes in their own wash though

Engel98 likes this.
  6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Do you only feed once a day?

My lot have ceramic bowls and fed twice a day. Not sure how they'd handle the dishwasher. When I used metal bowls there was no issue but the high heat of the dishwasher worries me. :/

My dogs have their own load too. I normally put the clothing I was wearing when I shave them in there too I add some vamoosh (pet hair dissolver) comes out practically hairless. I put it on 90 as I read it can help with fleas and allergens.

7. mrs phas

no, i only put the dishwasher on once a day :oops:
    they get rinsed after breakfast
    and yes i use metal bowls

oh and i forgot the dogs being bathed
    foglia and scampi have never been bathed, they both swim and love a brush out, scampi is staffy fur and foglia is a spitz breed, neither have a doggy smell
    falcor is a pampered pooch and is bathed every week, which is also when hes, gently, exfoliated, moisturised every night before PJ's are on and shaved every 2 weeks by me and every 6 months professionally

Engel98 likes this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

rinse and change water bowls every day , wash dinner plates after each feed.
    I rinse mud of dogs in the bath but dont bath dogs unless theyve rolled in poo. I put the beds and blankets out to air once a week weather permitting.
    It varies when I wash them , depending if they get muddy or smelly. about once a month .

Engel98 likes this.
  9. mrs phas

mst ceramic dog bowls are the same ceramic as plates or thicker ( those big brown ones with DOG printed on outside)
    if plates and ceramic mixing bowls can survive the dishwasher, then i would say the dog bowls would
    unless, of course, they have fine bone china,
    then no I wouldnt risk it

10. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Is falcor the xolo? If I had a short haired breed without any skin issues they'd only be washed when they rolled in something they really shouldn't have. Brush a couple of times a week to help get rid of any hair and to help distribute the oils but that's it really.

Every 2 weeks by you and every 6 months a professional? If you are shaving your dog every 2 weeks phas I'm pretty sure you can call yourself a pro :D

11. mrs phas

falcor.jpg
    no hes a chinese crested hairy hairless, hes in my picture laying on the sofa and looks like sid the sloth
    i literally would sell a kidney if i could have a xolo
    thats my dream dog

Engel98 likes this.
  12. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Squeaky latex toys and fluffy things??? How do your dogs not destroy them?! I have brought plenty of squeaky toys and the indestructible ones too. Longest they've lasted is 1 day. The indestructible toys squeak was destroyed by Pebs within the hour and Bella who has next to no teeth (18 in total and none at the front of her mouth) literally tore it apart within 15 minutes :/ Bella redecorates the house with fluff and stuffing so the only toys o can have in the house are the rubber toughened ones like Kong. Bella does have a giraffe comforter that she sleeps with but will destroy everything else

13. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Where did I get xolo from then? Have you had one or fostered one in the past or am I thinking of another member?

I love Chinese hairless but never seen one in the flesh. What are they like as a breed?

Sid the sloth haha why didn't you call him sid or sloth? He's beautiful though!

14. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Bungo has only had one bath in his life, gets a wipe down when needed.
    Bowls get washed daily.
    Soft toys don't get washed and the latex ones get a wipe occasionally (within X months)
    Bedding gets hoovered and when needed steam cleaned.

Engel98 likes this.
  15. mrs phas

no never had a xolo, did apply for one at local RSPCA, but they wanted him to go to a no other dog home, even though hed come from a multi xolo home

Falcor came to me as a rehome, but id always, previously, sworn that, when i could afford one, i would call him Falcor, as in the luck dragon, in Never Ending Story ( was thinking of getting a powder puff then)
    his previous name was Falco, so Falco into Falcor went very easily
    they are totally nuts as a breed, they live for their people family, they can give and take other dogs, but people, no, you cant have one and work all day, they would pine terribly, even with a walker coming in, thankfully i have a son living here that he loves too
    they make the greatest hot water bottles and Falcor has to sleep touching me, if i move he moves, sometimes even endng up on the pillow
    they dont so much bark, but they do sing ( not that i call it singing, its more like a babys high pitched scream) and as they get more excited the higher pitch the song becomes, I swear people think i abuse him
    they are complete airheads, and hard to house train, Falcor was 4 when he came to me and still not housebroken ( rehomed cos people had baby on way and him not housetrained) he is now, but thats cos my house is bootcamp, theyre never going to be obedience champions as a breed
    I love him to bits, i, now, couldnt imagine not having another in my life, when i think about all the breeds ive fostered over the years, he is my total heart dog and a great ambassador for the breed in general

the hairless are high maintanance though, as i explain above, the powder puff have all the same attributes, but with long silky hair, not fur, so need that combing every day if not more and they need more professional grooming
    they do have their health issues though
    heart murmurs Falcor has a 2/3, but, at 11, is still going as strong as ever
    luxating patellas
    teeth, as the hairless gene is also linked to teeth too, powder puffs are ok though, Mind if you saw Falcor demolishing the chicken carcass tonight you wouldnt know
    eyes, they can have pop eyes like chis can
    they also have to have claws clipped much more than other dogs, as they have a hare foot, rather than standing over their foot

My biggest regret is my husband never lived to see me getting one, he used to laugh at me, longing for such a prissy dog, I think, as a hulking great chihuahua loving man, he wouldve loved Falcor as much as i

you may feel I am a little biased

Engel98 likes this.
  16. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Aww bless. I'm sure your husband would have loved him!

To me nothing compares to the bichon frise. They are completely insane! He has calmed down after the snip but still looney. Brings a smile to your face though. He'll sit and talk to you and will even whisper is asked to or inside voice as I call it when he's excited. Beau my bichon needs shaving once a month so groomers can be expensive so I do it myself. Amount of hair growth in a month is crazy.

My toy poo can't be seperated from people for 5 mins. Honestly if you come back in 5 mins she'll treat it as if you've been gone forever. Put that down to her previous owner dying suddenly though. Sleeping situation sounds painfully similar *looks at Bella*. She also has teeth issues and is down to less than half but like Falcor you wouldn't know.

Looking good for 11! Practically a spring chicken. With heart issues too. He's looking really good, kudos to you. I hope you have him for many more years :D

Speaking of raw. Chew wise what can dogs have? Now my bichon can't have beef, lamb, turkey, chicken or pork. He can chew buffalo horns without a flare up. Was going to try antler at some point. Is there anything else you can think of?

17. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Their water bowls are cleaned and refilled at least twice daily,
    Bedding washed weekly if not more since Jessie is incontinent
    Collars, coats, toys etc washed when they're dirty (toys dont get played with much nowadays)
    Food bowls admittedly washed only very rarely. This is because we dont have a dishwasher and I dont personally wash pots
    Flynn has a full shower maybe twice a year, usually when he's going through an itchy phase or his coat starts to look greasy and dull
    Jessie gets showered more often due to her incontinence, but thats only really her back end.

I'm not fanatical about everything being spotless, but I do like the dogs and their belongings to be clean, and the house etc to be relatively fur, dirt and smell free.

Engel98 likes this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs have to be clipped so are bathed then and sometimes in between. Candy is normally clipped about once a month but Toffee lasts a bit longer as her coat is very different even though they are both poodles.

Toys - never even thought of washing them!

Water bowl filled when it looks low and rinsed each time with a better wash if it looks bad. Food bowls never used to be washed very often but I have changed their food so they are done once or twice a day now.

Bedding is done erm not very often! Except if Candy is having a leaking time in which case done daily.

Engel98 and Torin. like this.
  19. mrs phas

favourite here at the moment are anything Ostrich, and those yak milk things
    even Scampi, who being staffyx border terrier, hasnt been able to demolish either

thank you very much

we have a bit of a rep for long lived dogs here, my last 5 dogs are as listed
    Rocky (rip),my proper sized yorkie ( from woodgreen) got to 18
    Thunder,(rip) my ex bait mastiff x boxer, got to 14
    Scampi, the dumpee, is 14
    Foglia, the red volpino italiano, aka the ginger witch, like Falcor, and from the same home, is 11

the three here show no inclination to slow down

Engel98 likes this.
  20. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Hilde only really plays with one toy as she is a little strange but she loves her Rexy (dinosaur soft squeaky) he is at least 3 years old I think maybe more.

3B4B5D78-C4DC-411F-AB37-D75CEE1533FB.jpeg

Hector loves squeaky latex eggs but his oldest and most favourite is Turkey Lurkey who he got given for first Christmas by my Nieces, he still has him 6 years later and is still a favourite that he will dig through the toy box to find.

3064BF3C-40C4-41B0-BEB5-481D19055223.jpeg

He will destuff soft toys but rarely, he rags them around and will wear the squeakers out but he has never destroyed a latex toy yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice