Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How often to use flea treatment

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Missmeowsalot, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Missmeowsalot

Missmeowsalot PetForums Newbie

Hi all!! I'm new here and have had my lovely 9yo adopted male cat for about 2 months now.

He had been given flea treatment by the vet at the cat home before I got him, so I have only done 1 pipette of frontline since having him.

The instructions are a bit ambiguous when they say "do not use more often than every 4 weeks"... now, does this mean I SHOULD use this every 4 weeks, just no more? Or does it mean It's best I deflea every 5 weeks to ensure it's not too much? I've seen so much conflicting info and the instruction booklet is 0 help...

At the moment I am using frontline as the previous treatment was only used because it was administered by a vet. Plus frontline was a bit more pocket friendly for me, so I bought a pack of 3 pipettes.

So is it worth using them once a month / every 4 weeks? I had marked on my calendar in 5 week intervals, but baggy is an outdoor cat so I wanted to check. Also, is it worth using frontline pro to try and help with ticks?
    Thanks so much all!!! X

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Missmeowsalot and welcome :)

The manufacturers of spot-on flea treatments all recommend their products are used every 4 weeks to give the best ongoing protection against the cat getting fleas. If you leave it 5 weeks between treatments then your cat may not be adequately protected and, worse case scenario, you could end up with a flea infestation in your home (if he is an outdoor cat) .

Frontline has not been an effective flea treatment for the past few years in some parts of the UK as the fleas have become resistant to it. I no longer use it for my cats, I use Advantage spot-on instead and it is effective. It can be bought without a prescription from online veterinary stores such as VetUK and also Pets @ Home.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-treatments-advantage-for-cats-c-3_660_873

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/merch-groups/advantage

EDIT : just to add, I don't think Advantage covers tick protection. You would need to get a product from the vet such as Bravecto from the vet which cover ticks as well as fleas.

https://us.bravecto.com/for-cats

#2 chillminx, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Tigermoon and Missmeowsalot like this.
  3. Missmeowsalot

Hey Chillminx thanks for the reply and advice.

I will definitely have a look into advantage then, it seems reasonable and also even more so if it's more effective. We have to take baggy back to the cattery as they're due to do his dental for us, which is very handy and nice of them, so i will ask abkut the tick treatment when I am there and hopefully they can sell me some to use.

I did used to have a lot of cats as a child but then of course all I did was play and pet them, being about 6 years old the flea and worming was left to my parents so although I know what I have to do I am still finding my feet! Thanks for the help :)

chillminx likes this.
  4. Missmeowsalot

Hey, Chillminx, i just have another question - if you wouldnt mind helping if you can? just saves opening another thread..

I have used the drontal tablet on baggy when it was due, and i know these are meant to be every 3 months - but he only had about 85% of the tablet. my mum has since bought me Droncit spot on worming (to help out) and i am wondering if i can use this soon, like a month after the tablet? as it's not ingested do you think it would be ok?
    i am just concerned as Baggy has started eating more - not LOADS - not enough to have worms i dont believe but i want to make sure i am on top of it.
    Thanks so much. if you dont know then no worries i just thought it saves another thread :) x

5. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Tali has had it twice, once before a stay at the vet and once before a show. But mine dont go outside

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi again, I wouldn't give him more worming treatment only a month after the tablet. It is too soon, even though he only had about 85% of the tablet it will have been enough to kill any worms I expect.

But if you can see worms in his poo, or what look like little grains of rice around his bottom, then that would be a different matter. If there is no sign of anything then I expect he is OK and perhaps he never had worms at all. Not all outdoor cats get worms. Though if they are hunters it is always worth treating them every 3 mths.

I would mark on your calendar the date 3 mths from when you gave him the worming tablet, and give him the worming spot-on treatment then. :)

Missmeowsalot likes this.
  7. Missmeowsalot

Thank you so much! Sorry for late response I didn't get a notification! I'm currently trying to train Baggy to use a food maze to slow his eating down a little. He doesn't have worms so that's a relief - he just loves food!! I know the feeling lol.

Thanks again x

chillminx likes this.
  8. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Senior

I rarely flea either of mine, but they are confined to inside and backyard. If I did see signs of fleas I would use Advantage. I'm happy you adopted an older cat as they are often overlooked.

Missmeowsalot likes this.
  9. Missmeowsalot

Yeah I've heard advantage is good. I bought frontline as a 6 month pack so I'll be using that up first for fleas. No sign of them so far and baggy has been out and about a lot more as we've just got a cat flap fitted. Will be worming him again soon but as @chillminx said, only when due - I will be trying the spot on worming treatment next time.

Pinto and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice