Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How often to groom a BSH?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bilai, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Calling all BSH slaves!

Milo had his first ever Hairball the other day - a bracing experience for me lol. It's of course meant we're being a bit more conscientious about grooming him whereas honestly before we almost never did.

Just wondering what most of your grooming routines are like?

huckybuck likes this.
  2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Shorthairs should require minimal grooming so I would think once a week enough but if he loves it what about a little every day?

Bilai and Lilylass like this.
  3. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

He does quite like it lol. I also think he likes the routine of play, groom, lap snuggle so perhaps this is the way I will go.

I always thought shorthairs didn't need much grooming at all but he is SO FLUFFY it's out of control lol

huckybuck likes this.
  4. MoochH

MoochH Mum to Moochie

I've just started brushing Mooch again as she has started to loose her winter coat - I do it twice a week for about 5 minutes at a time.
    The rest of the time she grooms herself and gets complimented on how fabulous she looks!

Bilai and huckybuck like this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

It is the time a lot of cats start moulting and losing their winter coats so brushing him should help it along. I do find though that the hairballs tend to appear after I have brushed as I think it loosens hair as well which they then ingest when grooming.

Temporally_Loopy and Bilai like this.
  6. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Archie is hardly ever groomed - he's very short haired

Mia is groomed at least once a day & twice at this time of year - she's semi-long haired

If he likes it, I'd go for little & often & see how it goes :)

Bilai likes this.
  7. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

I was a little afraid of that. I hope he doesn't produce another anytime soon. I'm such an anxious cat slave I'm sure I would find a reason to take him to the vet then...

huckybuck and Temporally_Loopy like this.
  8. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

Cody absolutely loves being groomed with the zoom groom, he would have you grooming him multiple times a day if he could persuade you! it seems to be at this time of year that we are creating bigger clouds of fluff which gets everywhere, I learned pretty quickly not to groom him when I am just about to leave for work! I try to smooth away all the loose bits before he wanders off, particularly off his face in the hope that he wont swallow any, so far he hasn't had a fur ball but he is not quite two yet so I suppose it will happen at some point, I also collect all the bits of fur off his cat tree (where he likes to lie while you groom him) with the other side of the zoom groom, I think it was @Ceiling Kitty who pointed out this trick and try to hoover up as much as possible so it isn't flying around and clinging back on to him

Sometimes I swear I collect enough to knit another cat! and the birds in my street are nesting in Cody lined nests as I fling it out of the window (I actually saw a blackbird fly past with some blue/grey fluff in its beak last spring :D)

Bilai and Temporally_Loopy like this.
  9. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Bertie is very soft and fluffy, although he's lost the little kitten static fluff. At the moment he's being groomed most days, certainly every other day. Having seen his father's coat - length and thickness - I can foresee a life of hairdressing.

Bilai likes this.
  10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I don't know if this is possible with British because their coats are longer but when I groom my Orientals, I use a plastic flea comb after the zoom groom. This removes the loose hair.

Bilai likes this.
  11. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I was thinking a Furminator would remove alot of loose hair, however I have found mine quite harsh for anything other than "dingleberries" and the fur would have to be really detangled first so as not to hurt the cat.

Bilai likes this.
  12. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I got it from @idris I think - it's a fab trick!

Bilai likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

My 2 previous BSH cats used to shed fur every day all year round, but in the moulting season they shed loads! :( .

I used to groom them every day, using a short-toothed comb, (like a flea comb) in the autumn and winter months, but in the summer the Zoom Groom brush was ideal when they were moulting heavily. It brought the loose fur to the surface of the coat and I used the comb to remove it.

Bilai likes this.
  14. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

We used a furminator on our rescue kittie as she is a serious maulter. We ust had to be careful not to overdo it on her spine area otherwise the hair gets thin. Thankfully she loves it

Bilai likes this.
  15. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

when we first got Cody he didn't seem to shed at all, after years of picking white hair off my work clothes from Katie our black and white cat it was wonderful!

then when Cody was about six months or so the clouds of fur started appearing! and with BSH is it fluffy fur rather than hair which seems to be harder to control lovely when he wants a cuddle, it is like hugging an angora teddy bear, not so lovely when you are trying to get it off your duvet and pillow cases!

Bilai likes this.
  16. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I do mine as often as they will let me, and then it's not long before they are trying to bite either me or the comb :mad:

Bilai likes this.
  17. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I always used a rubber palm held groomer and it was Ok. I ordered a new cat collar and by chance the company sent me a fine metal comb as a free gift! I've found it brilliant and Liddy seems to quite like it! I give her a comb maybe once a week while she's relaxing!

Bilai likes this.
  18. Zephodi

Zephodi PetForums Senior

I've noticed less shedding after starting to feed raw, but overall a weekly groom will do. Another tip to get the fine fur off furnishings or things like bath mats and cat trees is to go over with a squeegee, this really has helped for me! It won't get everything out, but it will get imbedded hairs out.

Bilai likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice