Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How often should I feed?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CheekoAndCo, Jul 4, 2009.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've been wanting to change Cheeko over to James Wellbeloved but didn't want to pay that amount if he didn't like it so with his prize vouchers I got him a small bag of it (also a new harness, lead, kong and treats). I gave him about half of the bakers and half of the new stuff and he's only ate the new stuff. He gets fed twice a day but he's only ate 1/4 of the new food so I've put it away. It was asif he was full up because he wasn't eating treats either so I'm wondering if he would be better with 4 small meals a day instead of 2 half sized ones. I want to feed him and the puppy at the same times when I it so I'd prob need to feed him 4 small meals anyway but I'm not sure what's better for him. He's 8 and needs to lose weight so I was going to just give him the lowest amount until he starts losing weight. So is 4 small meals a day fine?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont see why it would be a problem. Aslong as you dont over feed, i dont see the problem with smaller but more frequent meals.

I used to feed 3 meals a day. Up until mine were 8.

3. CheekoAndCo

He won't be overfed because I got a measuring cup with it so for the first time ever I'll be measuring how much he gets! Really hope I can see a big difference from taking him off bakers otherwise it seems alot of money to pay for something that doesn't show any signs of making his skin or behaviour better. Even if it just stops him getting 'tear stains' then I'll be really happy :D

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My two were a nightmare on Bakers. It can take a while to be purged from the system, but id hope you would see an improvement.

I wonder if eating little and often helps with weightloss in dogs, like it does in people?

5. CheekoAndCo

The bad thing about his behaviour is he steals everything that's mine. If I touch something then he has to have it. He get's agressive when you try and take it off of him without a treat. It's 5 weeks today until we get the pup so I'm hoping most of it would be out his system by then and there will be some changes in him. The back of the treats say it takes 3-8weeks until there is changes.

I was wondering that about the weightloss aswell because I know I can't eat 3 full meals I need to eat 6 small ones. Cheekos always preffered 'snacking' than eating everything at once but I thought you could only feed puppies small meals!

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

when you first get a puppy 4 small meals are the best way to go, as there stomach's can't cope with to much at once. We use to feed at 6am, 11am , 4pm and again at 8.30pm, then as they get a little older you can reduce it to 3 meals aday and so on. By the time our Meg was 8 months old she was on 2 meals a day. I prefer to keep to 2 meals aday and not once aday like some people do, as it is a very long time between meals and just like humans sugar levels drop etc. So all our dog are fed twice aday.

Our old jrt who has had a weight problem was on an obesity dry dog food from the vet and only allowed 95grams aday. this was split in to 2 small meals with some veg and he did lose weight.

If you are going on to the JWB dog food, buy the senior light version on the food, this will help with weight loss, as we are keeping ours trim on it. We have a 12 yr old, 3 half year old and a 14 month old and they all have the same food. By giving the senior light option they get a little more food and are not hungry. good luck

7. CheekoAndCo

Today he ate 1/4 for his breakfast, 1/4 for his lunch and half for his dinner. He seems to be enjoying it alot more than the bakers aswell. I put the half down and came into my room and 10 minutes later he came running in and sat down asif 'I'm a good boy' but I'd forgot I'd fed him so I went out to thinking he'd stolen something but then I realised he'd ate all his food :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice