Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How often should i feed my persian kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MelN2611, May 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM.

1. MelN2611

MelN2611 PetForums Newbie

I have a 12 week old persian kitten. I have had him for 3 weeks now. He is eating a big spoonful of royal canin babycat mousse twice per day. He doesnt eat his meals in one go he comes back to it through the day if left out. Then he has a small handful of royal canin biscuits left out. I am trying to move him from the babcat mousse to lilys kitchen kitten food so have started mixing bits of the new food in with the old.
    Am i feeding him often enough? He seems fine with what hes getting. The vet said he is healthy. He weighs 1.2kg now

2. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

As he's a grazer and there's always food for him available I'd say you're feeding him enough yes. if you get into the habit of weighing him regularly, say every fortnight you'll get an idea if hes gaining weight and growing well. One of our adopted cats was a bit older (about 4 months) when we got him and he was a guzzler so we fed him 3 times a day as he always cleared his bowl and only now at approx 12 months are we dropping to 2 meals a day, but sometimes if we're about at weekends will still give a mid afternoon meal!

3. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Senior

I would say you are not feeding enough, when I had my kitten at 9 weeks she weighed 1.2kg, she ate a lot more than what your feeding. I was feeding my kitten 5 or 6 small meals a day, about half a sachet at each meal, if she ate it all I would give her a bit more. I know all cats/kittens are different, but that doesn't sound very much food to me, maybe stop the dry food & feed more wet.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Feed your kitten wet meals 4-5 times a day as much as he will eat at each meal. Put a plate down and after he finishes add a little more, if he eats that add a little more.

Get rid of the kibble, it will only lead to health problems as time goes on. Feed wet only. When he gets to be about 8-9 months old drop it to 4 measured meals a day. When he reaches his full growth feed 3 wet meals a day.

No dry kibble. It is just that bad for him.

#4 lorilu, May 6, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    Last edited: May 6, 2021 at 8:35 PM
  5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I feed my 12 week old kittens 4 or 5 times a day!!! Generally I will be giving half a pouch per kitten for each meal so they are eating at least 2 pouches a day. Persians pick; they eat a bit, wander off, then return later for a bit more and this generally continues until the food is gone, which may take a while. Make sure he is continuing to gain a good bit of weight (around 100+ grams) every week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice