Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How often do you clean a horses sheath?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Starlight Express, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

This question arose this morning on our hack out. My friend cleans her horses sheath every 3 weeks and books it in her diary! (She must enjoy it or something:D)

I know it has to be done, but most owners don't even touch it, saying in the wild nobody would go out and clean it for them.

My boys hate it getting cleaned! Star will not tolerate it whatsoever! So I don't do it very often.

Has anyone got an easy way of cleaning the sheath or any idea how often we should do it?

2. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

Thats the beauty of having mares i don't need to go down that route ;) ;)

Sorry not much help there was i !

XxX

3. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Got to love owning a mare!! lol

I think it does need doing as they can get quite gross and form scabs an sores :confused:
    My arab used to hate it and everytime you went anywere near it he would try and kick out. I think a quick wash here and there would be adequate as like you said there is no one to do it in the wild!! :)

4. Steff

Steff PetForums Junior

Ermmm i not sure how often i do it tbh must be once a month or so. My pony strangely enjoys it. I like to make sure i do it as one of the geldings at our yard had maggots growing in his once :eek:

5. Starlight Express

Well, I think I will just have another go, armour up first:lol:

Storm is fine getting it cleaned, it's Star that's the problem. Bugger he is!

6. CountrySmiths

CountrySmiths PetForums Junior

I probably do about once every 2 months, although may squirt baby oil on, when relexed and hanging out, in between proper cleanings to help keep it from getting too dirty up there. My horses love being cleaned so will "drop" with a little poke in the sheath area and actually allow me to give them a "flush out" with a hose pipe (cold water too!).

7. Starlight Express

You are so lucky! But I will try the baby oil thing, sounds like a good idea. Anything worth a try.

8. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Hi

Dont think there is a set time scale to do this, it would depend on the individual horse. Horses which sweat or work in an indoor school may need it doing more frequently.

A sponge and mild soapy water is all thats needed...oh and a strong stomach:blink: especially when the black cheesy bits fall up your arm:eek:

...and dont forget to make sure you get rid of any soap thats up there.

And as for mares... I still had to do between the udders only mildy less disgusting that doing the boys!!!

9. XsugarstarX

XsugarstarX PetForums Newbie

Do you clean their shealth if their a gelding or a stallion?

10. Hetty

Hetty PetForums Junior

Both in stallions and geldings. I'm getting my boy used to being touched in that area, but he will not let me do something like that yet. It doesn't look too bad at the moment anyway.....but he is only 12 months old.

11. micki

micki PetForums Junior

I don't know how often i do my boy's but it's not very often probably 3-4 times a year. I do it when it looks mucky. Charlie is really good and just moves his leg out of the way so i can do it :lol: and Wish i haven't needed to do yet as it still looks clean, i bought him in October.
    I have always cleaned my mares bits aswell as they get quite crudy between their udders, Bramble was always really good and Danser you have to keep at her and she will eventually stand still and let me do it.

12. jazzie_93

jazzie_93 PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice