Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How not to stop a dog chasing cars

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nicky10, May 10, 2010.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Found this on an australian cattle dog site

Australian Cattle Dogs, Heeler, Blue Heeler, Red Heeler, Queensland Heeler, Queensland Blue Heeler, Queensland Red Heeler. Àâñòðàëèéñêàÿ ïàñòóøüÿ ñîáàêà. Ãîëóáîé õèëåð.

As another example, here is how one owner cured her dogs of chasing cars past her property. This isn't strictly speaking a booby trap, because people were involved in scolding the dogs, but the spirit is the same.

Well, today, one of the few cars that we see on our rather isolated, dead end road, came along, and Bear and Sam who had not had their usual daily exercise today for various reasons, RACED after the car which can only travel very slowly on our gravel roads, and I went nuts! Afterwards I frantically read through all my dog books and found a potential cure. I called a friend, drove to her house, sat in the passenger seat of her car (unknown car to my dogs) and had her drive slowly past our place. I kind of hid down low in the front with the door open and ready. When they came out running toward the back wheels, she stopped and I jumped out, raising all kinds of hell, alpha rolled everyone, screaming and carrying on!! The expression on their faces when they saw it was me coming out of the car was priceless! Anyway, we drove back to her place, borrowed another car and repeated it - this time they were hesitant but they still approached. Same thing. Sam ran and hid in the middle of a patch of yucca plants and Bear didn't know what to do or where to go. So, another car and one more pass. This time I was inside the house so the dogs could know I wasn't in the car. My friend was prepared to run out of the car as I had. Both dogs saw the car coming and plastered themselves against the front doorway of the house. It was very effective. Will repeat tomorrow with different circumstances. Just thought someone might like to know....

How to make the dog scared of you and cars congratulations brilliant method.

2. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Very effective? at what exactly? The ends do not justify the means when it comes to sentient animals :mad: Am very sad for those dogs :(

3. leashedForLife

in a nushell :thumbdown: asinine method with un-predictable behavioral consequences -
    what happens next time she wants the dog(s) in the car for a vet-trip? what if this fear generalizes to the vet -
    or any trip-destination? :huh: we cannot know in advance where the fear + stress will show as symptoms -
    only that it will show somewhere, sometime. :confused: uh-oh.

excellent summary - lousy so-called *training*. humans score for the ACD-owner:
    Negative-10 of 10 possible points. :thumbdown: let the hungry lions into the arena, please...

#3 leashedForLife, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

But now your dogs may well develop an unhealthy fear of cars =S

Surely it would've been better to use positive reinforcement.

in fatc, not only will they be afraid of cars, because it was YOU jumping out the car screming like a nutter this could have negative effects on your relationship...

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Exactly it's just idiotic. Poor dogs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice