How much would you expect to pay ?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by hackertime, Apr 22, 2014.

1. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

no he hasnt read books as such ( i wish he would) hacker is now disgusted as every walk hes had this week he has been kept on lead ,however its worked as he is walking to heel so much better and sending him away has not been mentioned since thank goodness i just want to enjoy my pup now cos once he is finally trained once the shooting seasons start ill never flippin see him :lol:

2. alanf1

alanf1 PetForums Newbie

I have a working english springer and had puppt training plus but really believe the best and only training is your own. time patience whistle and treats, Bella still is distracted by seabirds at teh beach but her recall and obedience has improved drastically

3. coedymynydd

coedymynydd PetForums Newbie

Normally the case...

4. emskithompson

emskithompson PetForums Newbie

Hi hacker time!

Did you ever go to any classes or 1-2-1 lessons?
    I'm also from Durham, also with a black lab and upon reading some of your posts, we seem to be at similar stages of training.

I'm finding really difficult to find any classes in the area, however this thread has provided some great info.

I'm off for a training day next Sunday with Yorkshire gun dogs ( I think you posted about them in another thread) so I'll see how we get on there. If it's not for us, then I think I might try craghleigh in otterburn,

5. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Hiya ,no we never went to any classes husband decided against it.
    Good news is hes been on three shoot days now ,everyone has commented on how well hes doing for his age so dont think we will be bothering with the lessons :D
    Where are you in duzza

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would prefer to be taught how to teach my dog.

I would never leave my dog with someone for training.

7. emskithompson

im in consett, what about yourself? I've just been on a training day with yorkshire gundogs today. really enjoyed it but felt really out of my depth. There is also a class up in hexham on tuesday so I might give that a go aswell.

I'd much rather learn how to train my dog then go to residentals,
    emma

8. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Hi Emma, where's the training over in Hexham?

9. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Absolutely!

I wouldn't want anyone else "training"my dog - I'm the one who is going to be living with him/her, so I want to be the one he/she looks to and trusts, and would want to form the bond that good training brings.

Much better if your OH went with the dog for training. Not only would he continue to bond with your dog, but he would be able to ensure that the training methods were appropriate. I know you said it's someone he knows, but that doesn't mean that the techniques used are necessarily the best - they might just be the quickest.

10. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Just outside of durham :) trouble is hubby works long hours so night time classes are out of the question and now shooting has started they are missing most weekends :thumbsup:

11. emskithompson

Hiya! I'm not sure on the exact location but it's with Delgarno Gundoggs. It's 7.30 on a Tuesday night. I was thinking about going tomorrow x