Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How much would you expect to pay ?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by hackertime, Apr 22, 2014.

1. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Hubby is getting to the stuck point with training and is toying with the option of putting him somewhere for a weeks intensive training ( its someone he knows ). Roughly what do you think it will cost ???? Bit of a sore point with me cos he never discussed it with me or thought who is going to console the 8 yr old when she finds out her beloved pup is going to disappear for a week :mad:

2. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

The kennel I work at charges £20 per day.

I think a better idea would be to see if your husband's friend could teach him as well as the dog. It's more the person who needs training than the dog in all honesty.

#2 dandogman, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I would join one or two clubs close by, and go to their training classes. You can send a dog away to be trained, but it's easy enough to then undo the training if you aren't confident about what you're doing. And to me, part of the fun of working or training, is me learning as much as the dog(s) :)

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What on earth could be taught in a week?

I've heard someone make claims that they could do that............he used electricity to do it :mad:

5. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

I did think a week wasnt long enough !. hubby has just got to the point where in his words " im not quite sure how to bring him on to his true potential " .the basics are there he sits and stays for retrives comes back to the whistle etc ,and he has the breeding to do it well.But theres parts which hubby is struggling to do as said he needs the training as well ( and for him to admit hes not quite sure how to do it is a very big admission from him )

6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Pointless. You will spend megabucks teaching your dog to obey someone else.....
    Why would you do that?
    Get him to join a club?

7. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

In that case go for 1-1 sessions with a trainer. A good trainer will be instructing you so you can train the dog.

If you join a few gundog groups on Facebook there maybe someone who might offer you help for free, sure they won't be pro but they'll have trained their own dogs.

My advice for now would be to stop doing things he's getting wrong until you get some help as a lot of bad habits can be created by taking things too fast.

8. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

He's still only wee! Have you joined any of the local clubs?

The Golden Retriever Club Of Northumbria hold training sessions over in Hettons Lyons Park on Thursday evenings - they'll be a great introduction for Hacker. Call Jennifer Hay or Yvonne to find out details etc:

GRCN :: Contact

Alternatively, if you're willing to travel, the Burns and Becks have some brilliant ground over in Cumbria - I go whenever I can, just fantastic for open dogs. They have a training programme for puppies, so the dogs build up gradually together through the summer.

Home - Burns and Becks Gundog Club Cumbria

The Northumberland and Durham LRC are also very active in bringing in newcomers. We don't have training sessions just yet, but things are being planned for this summer...

Northumberland and Durham Labrador Retriever Club - HOME - About Us

All the clubs are very friendly and if you pop over to one of the tests to watch/mingle you'll be able to find out more about who's training when and where.

The next test in the region is the Goldies' test at Butterknowle Fell this Sunday, and after that it's the Tyne Tees & Tweed FTA's test at Causey Park on May 11th.

Why don't you enter Hacker for the N&D's puppy test at Streatlam Park on June 22nd - it doesn't matter if he goes haywire (my boy probably will!), it'll be a lovely day out :) .

9. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Thanks for all advice its appreciated i do think hubby needs to chill his boots a bit mind but he hates it when hes out his depth ( typical bloke ).im really impressed by what hes done so far im going to send him those links and see what he thinks :thumbup1:

10. rona

Best not stress over it, take your time (he's still a baby) and find a club or trainer that you are happy with and go from there.

Have you any gun dog training books at all?

11. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

He has dvds etc his friend at the moment is you tube and theres always a shooting magazine laid about !

12. rona

What is he actually stuck on?

What is it he want to go onto?

13. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

He will retrieve dummy no problem but when he gets a scent of anything else hes off and wont stop or come back till hes followed that scent, hes also wanting to start lefts and rights but not sure in practice how to do it .
    Trouble is he doesn't want him being a peg dog so hes confused

14. rona

You should be making sure that the ground you are using for training is clear of rabbits etc at the moment.

How steady to stay is he?

15. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

To be honest, I'd slow things down with him - he's two months younger than my pup and I've only just started steadying him up, never mind lefts and rights. It's all too easy to squash the drive out of a pup by putting too much pressure too early.

I'd concentrate on introducing heelwork, and getting a rock solid recall at the moment i.e. being able to call him away from those distracting scents.

What does your husband want to use him for? Mine pick up, do a bit of blanking in, plus run in tests and trials, but the basics are always the same :) .

GertrudeJekyll likes this.
  16. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Generally picking up ,beating when hes not shooting ,he goes pigeon shooting im sick of telling him to stop expecting so much so soon but i think hes waited that long for his dog hes getting ahead of himself !!!!.the past few nights tho hes been concentrating on heel work and much to hackers dismay hasnt let him off the lead :sad: dog face

17. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Quite steady he can leave him sitting whilst he goes away with dummy the problem we have is where we live is near lots of farmland/foresty areas ( and a major shoot) its riddled with rabbits /pheasants /deer etc so theres no getting away from distracting scents!

18. rona

I've got to agree with shamykebab. Obedience at this stage is what needs to be the priority. The retrieving bit is a doddle to train compared to steadiness.

You could do direction training in your garden quite easily, even if it's quite small. I wouldn't push it just yet though.

19. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

I will have words !:thumbsup:

20. Kchip

Kchip PetForums Senior

Your OH sounds EXACTLY the same as mine, in fact I read this out to him and he said "Oh, that sounds like me"! Gracie has the same basics covered as Hacker but now instead of attempting to put in lefts/rights, we are going to keep working on the basics until they are solid. Will be interested to hear how things progress with Hacker as I think they are at a very similar stage.

11th of May we are attending a session with Di Stevens (2nd attempt after first was cancelled). Think it's going to be really useful to help progress things under expert guidance.

Does your husband read any of Pippa Mattinson books or manuals? It's like the bible in our house at the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice