Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much would a Norwegian Forest Cat cost?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Lucy2020, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Senior

Just curious as we'd like one in the future (talking years - I know the price will increase but it'll give me an idea). I couldn't find an answer online and didn't bother looking at prices on Pets4Homes etc for obvious reasons.

2. lenanowa

lenanowa PetForums Member

I don’t know if anyone will be able to give you a number - a kitten is worth what someone is willing to pay.

If you think you’ll be only looking for one in a few years, I’d actually start observing Pets4Homes - you’ll probably notice that kittens generally can be a bit more expensive & get reserved more quickly in winter than in summer / in the middle of kitten season, price will often also depend on location. Not everyone advertises on P4H, but it’ll give you an idea of some averages. Important to note though, that more expensive doesn’t always mean better quality in terms of looks, health etc.

Might be also worth joining some breed specific Facebook groups and just observing breeders for a while, or popping around to a local cat show to chat with folks in person.

Lucy2020 likes this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

There isn't really a season for registered pedigree kittens, but you are right that price can depend on location.

After a quick look at P4H around £1,000 seems likely for a registered pedigree kitten.

4. lenanowa

I would disagree - there are lots more kittens on the ground around summer, many breeders were/ are still struggling to sell, especially this year with a fair number of lockdown breeders. But, maybe it’s more noticeable with BSH.

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Strange. I don't breed BSH but I've not had to advertise the litters I've had since the first lockdown and people who ring all said how hard it was to find kittens. Maybe the clue is 'registered pedigree kittens'

6. lenanowa

What I said was about registered kittens, I have no idea how unregistered are faring. It’s the most popular breed though, so more “competition” in the market, for a lack of better word.

Glad it’s not a problem across the board though :)

7. Lucy2020

Thanks, this is really helpful :)

lenanowa likes this.
  8. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

I breed Norwegian Forest Cats and all the breeders I would buy a cat from are not advertising on Pets4homes. I used to when we had kittens but since the original lockdown it has become a crazy place. £1000 is the current going rate for a Norwegian Forest cat kitten that is registered with either GCCF or FIFe, neutered, vaccinated and microchipped.

Lucy2020 and OrientalSlave like this.
  9. Lucy2020

Thanks for that!

Before I joined here and knew anything about what I was doing at all, I had been trying to buy a kitten on Pets4Homes - just a moggy, obviously from a BYB as I didn't realise. Kittens were gone within minutes of being listed; those buying them clearly hadn't spared the time to ask questions. Some were openly being advertised as going much younger than they should. Given that and what I've heard about on here, I don't think I would touch it again (although I did find my parents-in-laws' dog on there advertised by a reputable breeder a few years ago). Too much risk.

10. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

If you want I can PM you one names of breeders I would buy a Norwegian from

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice