Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much weight to lose

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by WillowT, Apr 15, 2017.

1. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

willow needs to lose 2kg. She isn't overweight but the vet wants her at the lower end of normal because of her hips.
    We changed her food to the lighter version and reduced it a bit and after 12 days she had lost 600 grams.
    So she has about 1.5 left to lose.
    Is this an ok amount? Or should we slow it down a bit more....
    She used to have 300 grams daily of normal salmon and potato weinwrights.
    Now she is on the lighter version and having 150grams daily which is bang in the middle of the suggested for weight loss.
    She does go and sit by her bowl and look at the cupboards we keep the food in but is easily distracted and doesn't go back.
    I just don't want her to be too hungry but want to make sure she gets this weight off. The vet thought the 600 grams over 12 days was good but didn't really give us any advice otherwise.
    Tia

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What is her starting weight / target weight? Or her breed?

3. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

She is a lab x collie starting weight was 23.2 kg current weight 22.6 kg the vet wants her at 21 kg

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't know the answer. I thought though that if someone with more knowledge than me were to read this, the additional information might help. But I do believe that when humans diet, there is often a bigger drop at the start?

WillowT likes this.
  5. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Yes, it is normally water weight....

JoanneF likes this.
  6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Have I understood correctly that you've reduced her food by 50%?

WillowT likes this.
  7. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness..... no! That's not right I have just gone and weighed.... she is getting 125g twice a day so 250g of light.... rather than 300g of normal.
    I think that was a type error..... my bad sorry!

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Reducing the amount and changing to "light" food will mean a big drop in calories, I would think, so no wonder she is looking at her food bowl longlingly.

I would prefer a slower, more gradual approach personally.

WillowT likes this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

This was my thoughts too, ...and sometimes we observe dogs more when they are on some sort of 'weight loss' journey that we can notice them what we think looking for food, or scavenging more when its normal behaviour just more noticeable...and obviously scavenging gets more exciting in the nicer months for son dogs with more people about...

However, if it is a big drop in calories that's not good, which it probably is. I personally lose weight on dogs by dropping food 10-30% depending on my dogs. Some need the 30% drop, others just a 10% drop to lose steadily.

Had to do this frequently with my old JRT due to a liver condition she was either underweight or overweight. Only dropped food not type. So it can be done.

Lurcherlad and WillowT like this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can help the dog feel less hungry by adding a low-calorie bulker to the food - grated carrot or cabbage (though I'd want to be at a safe distance if the dog farted after cabbage).

WillowT likes this.
  11. Katerina Smith

Katerina Smith PetForums Newbie

How's Willow getting along now? As above I was going to suggest as well as her usual food you could try bulking it up with low calorie but big-looking (!?) food such as shredded greens, carrot, cauliflower etc?

Do you know what the fat% is of the weinwrights? I'm feeding mine on a wet brand that is only around 5% for each of the dishes (I think it's 3 or 4 options you can choose from) and it's all just meat & veg with no funny bulking out stuff or mystery ingredients, perhaps it would be worth a go as a good all-round low fat option?
    x

WillowT likes this.
  12. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

13. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

I'm not sure of the fat content as we store her food in a airtight bin so the packaging has been thrown out. However, I will check this Tuesday as she is back to the vet that day. She will be weighed and I can check the food then for content and recommendations.
    She doesn't look like she is losing weight too quickly so I am happy.
    She has been on antibiotics for infected anal glands and I can see a difference in her poo now it is much darker and firmer and she doesn't go the amount she was going when she was on the regular wainwright. I have read that the fat content being to high can result in this.

14. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

15. Katerina Smith

Katerina Smith PetForums Newbie

Ah @WillowT sounds good, poor lamb having to be on antibiotics. Pleased all is well!

WillowT likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice