Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much weight have yours lost in old age?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lottiecat, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Lottiecat

Lottiecat PetForums Member

Lottie is 17 and just over two years ago weighed 5.65kg, she's now down to 3.95kg.

We originally thought she'd lost weight as she'd had the stress of moving house and the vet wasn't concerned, but on checking her weight again last year, she'd got hyperthyroidism. Treatment is working well but she hasn't put any weight back on. I guess she'll lose more weight if she's ill in her final months.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Is your vet monitoring the hyperthyroidism regularly. It may be that the medication doses need changing. My boy has put weight back on now he is getting the correct dose and is being fed a high quality protein rich diet. He has lost muscle mass in his hind quarters which isn't fully coming back so he looks slimmer there than he used to.

3. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

If she's still losing weight despite being treated for hyperthyroidism, either the treatment isn't effective and needs tweaking or she has something else going on as well.

When was she last at the vet's? I think you should make an appointment to get her checked out again.

4. Lottiecat

Lottiecat PetForums Member

Thanks for your replies. She's stopped losing weight, just hasn't put it on. She was original tested in April, May to ensure tablets were helping with her levels and then November. She's been exactly the same weight each time.

kittih, yes, Lottie has also lost weight in the hind quarters and a little generally all over. You mentioned a high quality protein diet, what are you feeding yours?

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi, I have been trying my boy on some of the high quality foods from zooplus: terra faelis, granatapet, feringa and animonda carny. Also Lilys kitchen. Unfortunately my boy has been having feline hyperesthesia Syndrome issues with commercial wet cat food as a trigger following the death of his sister :( so he isn't keen on eating these at present so he is currently eating cooked chicken with felini complete, some lilys kitchen, egg, an occasional meal of salmon and also james welbeloved as well as cat milk to increase his liquid consumption. I am hoping if we can get the FHS under control (its getting better with zylkene) we can go back to including the foods mentioned.

I know that ckd can be masked by hyperthyroidism. My girl cat had this and she struggled with her weight so given your last vet visit was November it would be worth just having a chat with the vet to see if they have any concerns in general about your kitty's health.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice