Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much unsupervised time do you leave your dogs with your children??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Matrix/Logan, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Just wondered with the other thread on the go at the moment about our 'dangerous dogs'! Do you ever leave your dogs and children together when you are not in the room? Do you go to the loo and leave them together?

People often say you should never leave dogs and children unsupervised! Well i have 2 boys who are 10 and 11 and i leave them with the dogs if i go to the toilet or am cooking in the kitchen or ironing, but is this bad/wrong? I don't shut them up every time i leave the room...... should I??

Just wondered on your thoughts really?!

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

When my nephews and niece come round, Ollie is always in a separate room to the children, or in his crate or in the garden. The only time they are together is in the garden when we are out with them. As they don't come round very often, this is quite easy for us, but if we had children in the house 24/7, I bet it would be more flexible than that. Ollie wouldn't be so excitable for a start cos he hardly sees them so gets very excited every time they come round and could cause scratches on the children.

If you trust your children not to tease the dogs, and you trust your dogs not to jump on them or be excitable, then I think its fine to leave them for a few minutes. I mean, what do you do if you're cooking in the kitchen or hanging up the washing outside? Do you disturb your dogs to move them with you or do you have your kids on a tight rein with you whilst the dogs rest?

3. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

It depends on the age of the children, until they were 6 or 7 not even the loo, the older the more things changed. I am proud to say that now my kids are 29 and 31 and I leave them unsupervised...lol

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Also I think if you get your children to train the dogs, the dogs learn to respect them and they can use commands like sit and down if the dogs get excited when you are not there. It will give them more confidence that they can handle the dogs in tricky situations.

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Mine are 10+ now, the eldest 15. Taz is 'her' dog. So she trains her and walks her and she sleeps in her room. The children do lots of jobs with the dogs involving training and feeding. I think it's important for dogs to be socailised with children otherwise they could become fearful.

I leave them with the dogs for brief periods. I have a weak bladder - if I put them away everytime I went to the loo, they'd never be out of their crates lol. :lol:

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

It was never really an issue when I was growing up. We had 4 CKC's and were always alone. My parents worked full time and my brother is 7 years older than me. We used to come home from school and do all that was needed for them. I don't remember my folks ever worrying about us and the dogs.

Now though things are different and the laws are so much tighter. i think a lot depends if the children are brought up to respect a dog and it's space. Obviously young children shouldn't be left alone. Also depends alot on the dogs temprement.

Sorry not much help at all really :eek:

7. Matrix/Logan

LOL!! :thumbup:

Glad they can now be trusted with the dogs without supervision! :lol: :lol:

8. Matrix/Logan

Same here! Mine would be constantly getting up and being shut away if i seperated them every toilet break! LOL

The children do do lots of dog duty jobs and are very sensible and responsible with them so they do get treated with respect from the dogs. :thumbup:

9. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

Not too much but my youngest gets up early on Saturdays so he spends time with Izzy alone then but he doesn't bother her as he's on the computer. If i let him he'd have her in his room over night and walk her on his own but i would never let him as she's so strong and its too much responsibility for a 9 yr old.
    My 12 yr old doesn't pay her much attention at all so its not an issue as he's never usually in the same room !!

10. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

thought that would make ya chuckle.... But really when I worked graveyards and the kids were teens they looked after them all the time. I was only really cautious when they were babes, and the kids were taught from the start (even though my dogs had no food aggression) that you leave a dog alone when its eating. My oldest son made a terrible error in judgement one day when he was 15 or 17 and it cost me one of my shelties life was a total accident and he was soo beside himself I could not be angry at him he was devastated....Jill

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

As little as possible.

When I got Heidi at 9 weeks, Chloe my grand daughter was 3 and so I needed eyes in the back of my head for both of their safety and my sanity. I timed my toilet breaks etc as best I could but more often than not, Chloe follows me.

Now, a year on, its a little easier but I never leave them alone more than I have to and invariably watch them like a hawk, making the most of the privilage of handing the grandchildren back :thumbup:

12. borderer

borderer Guest

i dont..................................

13. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I don't have kids but OH has young cousins who love Bramble, but, we never ever leave them unsupervised. Bramble's too excitable.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

None... I don't have children :p

15. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Im 19 and as yet dont have kids (and they're not planned for a while) but my hope is that there will always be dogs in the house while my children are growing up. Kids can learn so much about responsibility having dogs about and once they are old enough they will start taking on jobs to do with the dogs like walking, feeding etc.

I think if the kids are taught from the moment they can understand not to pester a dog, they will be fine together, for example cody is only 5 months but is given time to interact with all the dogs but is removed if he pulls hair, hits etc.

If dogs are around when the kids are babies and they grow up with dogs around I think they learn how to properly interact anyway

16. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

I do leave my kids aged 4,6 and 10 unsupervised with my dogs ( colliex, 2 newfies and saint pup) Shoot me now, cos I know you are going to!
    Mine all take part in the feeding and caring of my dogs. My youngest is the most into dogs person Ive ever met. I havent met a dog that isnt into him either.
    It would be a different matter if we had visiting children in the house, I would watch them like a hawk.
    :drool: is about the worst you would suffer in my house

17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My daughter was 8 when we had Benji and I had no problem or worries about leaving them in the room together if I had to nip to the loo or if I was in the kitchen... mind you he always followed me to the kitchen, still does along with the others.

I think it depends on a few things... how responsible the child is, how well trained the dog is, the breed of dog etc

My dogs are brought up with the same rules and boundaries as my daughter was. I'm not super strict but I'm not soft either ;)

18. zoeoli

zoeoli PetForums Junior

We got our lab cross in January - he was then 18 months old. My son is 6.

They both needed to learn some rules and I have to say the dog was far easier to train than the child! The dog hasn't an ounce of aggression in him, but he is very big and bouncy and we had a couple of incidents of him knocking my boy over, jumping up, etc, and once he growled when my son stupidly took his chew from him :rolleyes:. At first, I didn't leave them alone for a second.

A few months on, they have got used to each other and learned some mutual respect and I am comfortable to leave them together if I need to leave the room briefly, but only if both are calm. I wouldn't yet let them play unsupervised.

19. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I leave my granddaughter, who's three alone, with my two in the garden when I am in the kitchen and when I go to the loo. Usually either she or the dogs follow me anyway. Sometimes the JR will go up to bed with her when I am downstairs but they both just sleep. I don't leave them alone with my grandson because he's only just toddling and I'd never leave him alone anywhere. If my niece or any friends visit with their kids I would always supervise them with the dogs.

I grew up with dogs and it was never an issue so maybe that's why I'm quite laid back about it. One of my earliest memories is sharing my lollipop with our lab Sally when I was about three.

20. leashedForLife

speaking as a trainer and humane-educator,
    for those who want to cheat, the preferred answer is NONE until the child in question is at least 10-YO and also
    both the dog in the scenario + the child are socially-savvy - the child knows about dogs + likes them, the dog knows about kids
    and likes them - AND the dog + child know each other well - they have not just met.

so relevant-Qs for a trainer or a parent would be,
    * How old is the child?
    * How old is the dog? (fragile puppy? arthritic elder?)
    * How well does each know the others social-group?
    * How trustworthy are both?
    * How long have they known one another?

personally, with my family or any other child, if i leave the area, either the dog(s) or the kid(s) come along;
    i once had 3 dogs in a handicapped-stall with me at a public-education event, as there were parents who had
    turned their kids loose in the crowd to amuse themselves - and i had no crate behind a barrier, the dogs
    had no safe-place to be away from prying hands - no matter how friendly the intention.

the dogs were very good, but could not stand at the sink to wash their paws after...
    so we hosed their feet outside when we left, and towel-dried them before loading to leave. :thumbup:

cheers,
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice