Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much to walk an older dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rhianne, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Rhianne

Rhianne PetForums Junior

Hi!

I have a working cocker - 10yrs old, no medical issues and perfect weight.

We do hiking a lot of weekends these range upwards of 8miles to 15miles and normally climb a lot of height. He’s done this all his life and still now he loves it, he will run off the lead and is almost always ahead of us. We obviously wouldn’t take him if he wasn’t happy but he loves it. To our surprise he doesn’t get stiff at all and the next morning he will be ready to go again which is amazing.

If you have/had an older dog would you just carry on walking as much as you used to as long as the dog is happy or would you reduce this? just interested to see what others do as we always wonder how people exercise their elderly dogs!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would continue as you are.

Your dog clearly has no issues and is in good shape.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I let my dogs tell me when they are tired. At 10 years old mine were still walking 2+ hours a day and doing a fair few miles but you get to notice that they perhaps start lagging behind a bit, taking their time sniffing things more than they would normally, tiring just that little bit easier and earlier on in the walk and thats the point, imo, that you take your cue from the dog.

My remaining dog, at 13 years, can only do half an hour maximum in a single walk now and we perhaps only cover a mile, if that, during that time because he's slower and sniffs much more. I know when he's tired as he starts to scuff his rear feet, trip over things etc and at that point we go back.

Twiggy and kimthecat like this.
  4. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I agree with what others have said. Let him enjoy it while he can. :)

5. Rhianne

Rhianne PetForums Junior

Yes we will certainly make the most of it!

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

10 is no age at all. As the others have said carry on as normal. I have a 10 year old who is not as fit and muscled as she was because I do not take her out behind driving ponies any more. If I was still driving she would still be doing between 6 and 12 miles of fast work most days.

7. Rhianne

Rhianne PetForums Junior

yes we will continue as normal and keep him as fit as possible!

8. Rhianne

Rhianne PetForums Junior

Yes we will :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice