Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much to feed ?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bertie'sMum, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I have a 2 yr old female DSH (weight 2.7 kilos) who I am feeding on dry food and I have a question on how much should I be feeding her.

On the Purina packet it states cats weight 2-3 kg, amount to be fed 35-65 grams - is that per meal or per day ? Currently I'm giving her one scoopful (about 40 grams) in the morning and again in the evening but she's always asking for more ! Like all young cats she has periods of intense aerobic activity (i.e. when playing) interspersed with long periods of sleep !!!

All my previous cats were boys, all were fed wet food and the pack clearly stated 3-4 sachets a day for an average sized adult cat.

As I said in a previous post I hope eventually to be able to switch her over to wet food, but she was being fed dry food previously so I need to make the changeover very gradually to avoid her getting an even more upset tummy. (She's had the 'runs' almost since the day she arrived and has been diagnosed with clostridium perfingers and coronavirus which are currently being treated.)

Babyshoes likes this.
  2. Bertie'sMum

For anyone interested - I did contact Purina direct and they confirmed that the feeding guide on their packets is per DAY; so a 2kg cat should have 35 grams and a 4kg cat should have 65 grams ! Well noway does 35 grams per day satisfy Missy - 35 grams at breakfast time is gone by lunchtime :eek:

3. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

I think it is best to try and match ideal weight/body scoring with food intake as much as possible, if she still seems hungry and not particularly overweight then increase it a little, what is an average cat anyway!

It is the same with humans really, food shopping with my 6ft son this morning he picked up a rather small carrot cake marked 'feeds 8' and said 8 what? pixies?!

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

:D:D:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice