Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much to feed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by nutsandbolt, Oct 24, 2012.

1. nutsandbolt

nutsandbolt PetForums Newbie

I am fairly new to cats in the household and haven't got the foggiest idea when to increase Nutz and Bolts food.

They are over 6 months old and have Aldi's wet with a handful of kibble in their bowls each day, between the pair they eat 1 tin of food a day.

I had them weighed on Monday and the vet wasn't helpful in letting me know how much they should eat.

They each weigh 2.5 kilo.

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

How much does a handful of dry weigh? What is the recommended amount? At 6 months they are still growing and should be allowed as much as they want really.

3. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

And how big is the tin of food ?

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Indeed and what brand are you feeding them?

5. nutsandbolt

The tinned food is a standard tin 400g which the pair share.

Just measured the kibble and they get 25g each.

I vary their type of cat food they get. They turned their nose up to felix!

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

But what brands are you feeding - it makes a difference?

7. nutsandbolt

Aldi's own brand - rabbit & turkey, salmon, beef & chicken and chicken

8. Cookieandme

I tried to look at the website and there are no feeding recommendations, are there any on the packaging.

I don't feed dry so can't picture what 25grms is, but how do you know they are eating an equal amount.

Is there any chance you could reduce the dry and increase the wet food as it will be better for them in the long run. How many wet meals do they get a day.

9. nutsandbolt

Nothing on packaging at all, i give them quarter a tin in the morning, dry about 12ish depending on how quickly they've eaten their morning feed and the rest of the tin at 4ish.

When they're starving they miaow wildly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Cookieandme

Do they get anything after 4pm ? If not that is quite a long time before their next meal. Maybe add a small supper between 9 and 10pm.

11. nutsandbolt

Depends on if they have eaten their food. I do put a little kibble for them if they've finished by 8.00

Tonight they will be starved after 8.00 as they're being microchipped and neutered!!!!!!!!!!

12. Cookieandme

Blimey Cookie's food doesn't sit around for 4 hours - are you sure they like it.

13. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

Have you tried other foods? Geoffrey will leave food for a while if he's not keen on it and eat it when he's starving. Also supper is a good idea as it sounds like they need more food. Finally... What breed are they?

14. nutsandbolt

Sorry I didn't get back to you as i don't know what breed they are!!!!!!!!!!

I think Nutz and Bolt are some form of Bengal Cross cats as they have tabby markings too, Bolt the blue/grey has white all underneath her. Nutz has some white on her.

As i am fairly new to cats they're given half a tin of cat food in the morning (split into 2 dishes) yesterday they were weighed Nutz was 2.47kg, Bolt was 2.42kg.

Age is uncertain as the woman we got them from didn't make sense! She told us 8 weeks ago they were 5/6 months old and vets couldn't ascertain themselves as to how old they are either!

They get a handful of VitaCats (Aldi) kibble roughly 25g depending if they've eaten all of their food up.

Because they've been spayed yesterday they're not getting any tinned cat food till 2moro

#14 nutsandbolt, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean that they don't get any food from a tin but are getting either cooked chicken or stuff the vet gave you? I hope you are giving them food!

16. nutsandbolt

When they returned from vets they had 1st pouch.

They were pampered last night with roast chicken and a little gravy.

Breakfast was the pouch from the Vets, Dinner the remaining roast chicken (stored in fridge in a tub) and this afternoon they had tuna flakes which went down nicely!

17. Cookieandme

yes please confirm if they have been fed today, I know when my girl was spayed she had a meal the evening of her spay.

Edit - posting at the same time.

18. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Tabby markings do not a Bengal cross make - many, many moggies are tabby - tabby is a coat pattern not a breed.

19. nutsandbolt

Yes they were fed last night and today they appetite's did wain this morning!

As for the Bengal Cross someone mentioned it at the vets! They are extremely full of energy come 9.00 in the evening. Have a look at the album

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice